A Close Call - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

A Close Call

I noticed that the LT's center stand had made indentation in the hot asphalt. I performed my pre-ride check and into the saddle, jerked the bike off the center stand with feet planted on the ground. Jenny, begin to lean left when the seat hit my knee. I said, she's going down. Okay, its my turn to join the club of dropped bikes..

I was able to grab the raised deck railing and pull myself back up right and off we went to work. I had an uneasy feeling the entire ride. I guess, she just wanted me to remain alert at all times and never forget how clumsy and heavy the bike is...

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:15 pm

Re: A Close Call

Her way of sayin'

"Who's your mammy?"
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 8:38 am

It's only a matter of time!

I dropped mine for the first time last year, a couple of weeks after I bought her, then a few days later again.

Almost went down again a couple of days ago, but I managed to keep her up.

My biggest issue is that I forget to put the kickstand down!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist

post #4 of 9 Old May 1st, 2009, 5:06 am

Sounds like 'she' just wanted to get your attention - just like a slap up side of the head.
post #5 of 9 Old May 1st, 2009, 9:20 am

Wait until you're out in the middle of nowhere by yourself and you do it.... THAT'S when it gets interesting .... don't ask how I know.....
Most times when she goes over, nothing gets broken - but you do need to watch out for the shifter, so good practice to check it out after you pick it back up if it went over on that side.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #6 of 9 Old May 1st, 2009, 9:49 am

Ah, don't feel bad, you're in good company. (I use the term "good" loosely.)

First day of ownership - I'm putting the LT in the garage after the obligatory photo ops in the driveway. Pulled it in, not quite straight for me, and tried to do what I always did with my 1400 Intruder - roll back with my feet pushing. Well, with the seat height being considerably taller than the Suzuki, my foot slipped out from under me, and the opposite foot then pushed me to one side. The big girl then pinned me to the garage wall. Not far enough to go completely over, but too far for me to catch and stand her back up. So, here I am, unable to get off the seat with my leg pinned, and unable to stand her back up with no leverage on my leg to do so. After several frustrating minutes, I finally broke down and began blowing the horn to catch Telle's attention in the house. Once she stopped laughing, she helped me get out of my predicament.

Had I been single, I would have starved to death out there.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #7 of 9 Old May 1st, 2009, 2:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Wait until you're out in the middle of nowhere by yourself and you do it.... THAT'S when it gets interesting .... don't ask how I know.....
Most times when she goes over, nothing gets broken - but you do need to watch out for the shifter, so good practice to check it out after you pick it back up if it went over on that side.
I think there might be some pics of that experience. What is it worth to you? LOL.

When I had my LT, I think I dropped it within the first week. I remember pulling ino my parking space at home and I just started leaning over but I forgot to deploy the side stand. OOPPSSS. The last time was in NC last spring. Just finished loading it up for the ride home. She was on some dirt and then she as laying down. I tried like hell to let her go and I was hanging on like an outrigger with all my weight. I just could not prevent her from going down. luckily there was someone there to help me pick her up. Not exactly the way you want to start a 1000 mile trip.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 Old May 1st, 2009, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
I think there might be some pics of that experience. What is it worth to you? LOL.
Damn. I knew I shouldn't have said anything!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #9 of 9 Old May 29th, 2009, 8:47 am

Came VERY close more than once in the beginning ... 'til I learned to use the kickstand as my engine-shutoff and not the switch or the key. Since then, I have never had to worry about not having the kicksand down before getting off the bike ...

Russ ... a Timeless Rogue

Every day's a good day, it's just that some are better than others ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in