Tech Session in New England - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 149 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Tech Session in New England

As a relatively new K1200LT owner, I would like to learn as much as possible about the upkeep of this big girl. I've done the fluid changes and repaired the fuel line QD that sprayed gas all over my right boot but with almost 23,000 miles I'm approaching the magic 24,000 mile maintenance. I have a large garage and plenty of parking if we have a guru ready, willing and able to lead. I do not have a lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Re: Tech Session in New England

Holly Moly,
I read this post in the AM, and now in the PM still no replies. Watsamatta U my friends in the Banana Belt? (Flatlanders, you do know what the "Banana Belt" is, huh?)

BigGeo, you are welcome to come up here to the deep south of Vermont, put your bike on my lift and we'll do a 24K service. Here's hoping you get a better offer closer to home..... my little shop of horrors is down right scary to those who don't understand the Vermont state of mind.
But if you choose to do so, we'll get 'er done. What year is that bike again? (I'm better with pre-05s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeo
As a relatively new K1200LT owner, I would like to learn as much as possible about the upkeep of this big girl. I've done the fluid changes and repaired the fuel line QD that sprayed gas all over my right boot but with almost 23,000 miles I'm approaching the magic 24,000 mile maintenance. I have a large garage and plenty of parking if we have a guru ready, willing and able to lead. I do not have a lift.
post #3 of 149 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 4:52 pm

I am not a guru, but did my own 12k service. I wouldn't mind a tech session, I need to change the brake fluid on mine.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 5:04 am

I'll stand by my offer to host a tech session.
I've never done a post-05 brake service and don't know the details of the procedure. I did see part of the process done during CCR 08 tech session. There is a special wrench for bleeding the ABS contoller, that's something I could fabricate if we had the correct wrench to start with.
My shop is small, room for only one bike at a time, and it gets crowded in there in a hurry so if more than one bike it would have to be outside and bad weather would put a damper on that.
But those restrictions considered, I'd be happy to host a 24K BMW "Inspection" including, gas, air, oil filters, valve check (adj if needed). Problem with adjustment is cam followers (buckets) may be needed that are not on hand. I've a few of 'em, AJ's Cycle is 30 minutes away and might have what's needed but no guarantees there either. It is possible to determine a need to change buckets and not have 'em, resulting in putting the bike back together for the road and bucket change later.
post #5 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 6:57 am Thread Starter

That is a great offer. Count me in. I replaced the tranny and FD fluid 4000 miles ago and the oil (with synthetic) 5000 miles ago. I believe they should be ok.
Thanks again for the offer. I'm pretty flexible on day and time.
post #6 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 7:35 am

Quote:
That is a great offer. Count me in. I replaced the tranny and FD fluid 4000 miles ago and the oil (with synthetic) 5000 miles ago. I believe they should be ok.
Thanks again for the offer. I'm pretty flexible on day and time.
Okay, let's pick a Sat, I'm pretty flexible on most Saturdays. Also, that way if we need buckets there's a chance a quick run down to AJs will fix us up. I have a few buckets and I know of a few others locally.
If oil and lubes have already been done or can be done earlier that's great; time is better spent getting the plastic off and doing the "deeper" stuff.

Let's say April 25th and if rain is forecast we'll postpone.

Anyone else interested in joining us?

Last edited by CharlieVT; Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:50 am.
post #7 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:24 am

I'm game, but April 24th is a Friday. If you're holding it on a Saturday, I won't be able to make it until May 16.

Oh well, next time!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #8 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Okay, let's pick a Sat, I'm pretty flexible on most Saturdays. Also, that way if we need buckets there's a chance a quick run down to AJs will fix us up. I have a few buckets and I know of a few others locally.
If oil and lubes have already been done or can be done earlier that's great; time is better spent getting the plastic off and doing the "deeper" stuff.

Let's say April 24th and if rain is forecast we'll postpone.

Anyone else interested in joining us?
Curtis,

I have a bunch of buckets as well. I can ship them to you or if I can make the tech session I will bring them with me.

Jim

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

post #9 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 9:57 am

I just edited my post to change 24 to 25th. (my mistake... I meant Saturday).

Any other votes for postpone to 16th May?. That's only two weeks before Ride Vermont 09. I'd like to accomodate all interested.... but we may what to get 'er done before May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
I'm game, but April 24th is a Friday. If you're holding it on a Saturday, I won't be able to make it until May 16.

Oh well, next time!
post #10 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
Curtis,

I have a bunch of buckets as well. I can ship them to you or if I can make the tech session I will bring them with me.

Jim
Great, Thanks!
Hope you can make it.
post #11 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:11 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
There is a special wrench for bleeding the ABS contoller, that's something I could fabricate if we had the correct wrench to start with.
Curtis the tool makes it easier but a regular old 7 mm wrench will work just fine.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:32 am

Hey Curtis, What about if the Friday of the BBD weekend we can do one, maybe if folks do not make it the dates suggested. I am mechanic deficient but I can pass tools, bring stuff, drink beer, and eat. I can also stop for supplies in my way and give you encouragement just a suggestion

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #13 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Curtis the tool makes it easier but a regular old 7 mm wrench will work just fine.
Thanks John.
IIRC the tool was basically a 7mm closed end tack welded at 90 degrees to the handle, with a T handle on the end for leverage, or something like that? Cut and weld would take only a few minutes. Would that save enough time to make it worth the effort?
post #14 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 11:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
Hey Curtis, What about if the Friday of the BBD weekend we can do one, maybe if folks do not make it the dates suggested. I am mechanic deficient but I can pass tools, bring stuff, drink beer, and eat. I can also stop for supplies in my way and give you encouragement just a suggestion
We could do something the Friday of BBD weekend, but I'd rather not get into a full tupperware removal/valve adj. on that day.
(I don't want any grease under my fingernails for the Friday night soiree!)
post #15 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Quote:
We could do something the Friday of BBD weekend, but I'd rather not get into a full tupperware removal/valve adj. on that day.
(I don't want any grease under my fingernails for the Friday night soiree!)
Curtis if I remember right we can say that oil will fly in your shop even if not intending it too.

BMWMOA # 130458

post #16 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
Curtis if I remember right we can say that oil will fly in your shop even if not intending it too.
Q: "Do you always spill that much oil?!"
A: "Well, yeah.... mostly I do."

Little shop of horrors, you know.
(So far, I haven't dropped anybody's bike off my lift but my own.)

As part of informed consent for anyone bringing a bike into my shop the attached thread is required reading. The Goober Award is still displayed in my shop.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ard#post280944
post #17 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:03 pm

The 24th sounds good to me. Just let me know what I need to bring to do the brake fluid change. I can definatley help with the 24k service on the other bike.

Oh yeah, Curtis, where in VT? I am in the seacoast area of NH, just want to figure out how far away you are.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #18 of 149 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Q: "Do you always spill that much oil?!"
A: "Well, yeah.... mostly I do."

Little shop of horrors, you know.
(So far, I haven't dropped anybody's bike off my lift but my own.)

As part of informed consent for anyone bringing a bike into my shop the attached thread is required reading. The Goober Award is still displayed in my shop.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ard#post280944
CharlieVT
Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2002

belongs in the humor forum?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For your entertainment (at my expense).
My new Harbor Freight bike lift.
My collectable, rebuilt 1974 R90S on the lift doing final tweaking after hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars invested.
This bike is on the lift, in the garage with the lift in the full up position.
I decided it was time to take the R90S off and put the KLT on the lift to install the Ohlins, do the clutch slave thing, etc.
Recent snow storm made shoveling a path necessary.
So..... I hit the garage door button to open the door and turned to start shoveling the path needed to back the bike out.
Some kind of noise made me turn to look.....
just in time to see my 74 R90S fall from the lift (fully raised) and land upside down on the garage floor.
What a f...king bozo.
I hadn't lowered the lift.
The garage door caught the fairing.
The bike was pulled forward off the center stand.
All I could do was watch as the bike fell and landed upside down.
Truly, upside down.
Really.... it landed on the fairing and the tail light.
Destroyed: tail light housing, fairing and windshield (original paint in pretty good condition), the instrument cluster which I had spent many hours rebuilding, and misc. other stuff that's hard to replace with original equipment.
Gotta get some more Ginko Biloba, or something to improve blood flow to my brain.
Jeez Louise......
Back on eBay looking for 74 R90S parts.

Chagrined in the deep south of Vermont.

I do remember that, it was an unfortunate accident. Now is kind of funny but then was not! I was a little worried when we did my oil change in my LT before the first BBD VT adventure but it was a job well done . A little messy but excellent

BMWMOA # 130458

Last edited by spinedr; Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:38 pm.
post #19 of 149 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 1:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
The 24th sounds good to me. Just let me know what I need to bring to do the brake fluid change. I can definatley help with the 24k service on the other bike.

Oh yeah, Curtis, where in VT? I am in the seacoast area of NH, just want to figure out how far away you are.
Just across the river from Keene. A couple of miles from exit 2 on I-91.
Bring the brake fluid you need.
Printed procedure for fluid change on your bike. My service manual addresses pre-05 only. I'd be nice to have the procedure written up. If you have the procedure and the fluid, I've got the tools.
post #20 of 149 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 8:48 am

Quote:
I just edited my post to change 24 to 25th. (my mistake... I meant Saturday).

Any other votes for postpone to 16th May?. That's only two weeks before Ride Vermont 09. I'd like to accomodate all interested.... but we may what to get 'er done before May.
Curtis,

I appreciate you willing to postpone to May 16, but don't hold off on my account. As of right now, that date is open for me, however I may still book something for that weekend. I'd hate to have everybody wait on my account, and in the end not make it anyway.

All I need is a tranny fluid change. It's the only thing I couldn't understand when doing my 12k service over the winter. (I wasn't too worried because I figured I'd wait for a tech session sooner or later - and I'm sure another will come up sooner or later!)

Ray "Razman"

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #21 of 149 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
As of right now, that date is open for me, however I may still book something for that weekend. I'd hate to have everybody wait on my account, and in the end not make it anyway.
HA!!! See what I mean!?!?!? I just booked an event for May 16!

Have fun guys! I'll see you on May 29th!!!

Ray "Razman"

post #22 of 149 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Just let me know the date and place. I had some practice taking off the right side tupper when my right boot got sprayed with gas when the QD let go. I've got 5500 on my synthetic oil and don't know how long that should last. Any thoughts?
post #23 of 149 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 1:06 am

Quote:
I'll stand by my offer to host a tech session.
I've never done a post-05 brake service and don't know the details of the procedure. I did see part of the process done during CCR 08 tech session. There is a special wrench for bleeding the ABS contoller, that's something I could fabricate if we had the correct wrench to start with.
My shop is small, room for only one bike at a time, and it gets crowded in there in a hurry so if more than one bike it would have to be outside and bad weather would put a damper on that.
But those restrictions considered, I'd be happy to host a 24K BMW "Inspection" including, gas, air, oil filters, valve check (adj if needed). Problem with adjustment is cam followers (buckets) may be needed that are not on hand. I've a few of 'em, AJ's Cycle is 30 minutes away and might have what's needed but no guarantees there either. It is possible to determine a need to change buckets and not have 'em, resulting in putting the bike back together for the road and bucket change later.
I was unable to check postings yesterday has there been a set date and time for this N/E tech session?? Hey, I know the business end of the tools and would like to understand the inners of the 05 LT, have maintenance manual and can bring whatever is needed..

Last edited by Steve_R; Apr 11th, 2009 at 7:09 am.
post #24 of 149 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBMW
I was unable to check postings yesterday has there been a set date and time for this N/E tech session?? Hey, I know the business end of the tools and would like to understand the inners of the 05 LT, have maintenance manual and can bring whatever is needed..

I don't think it is definate yet, but looks like April 25th. Not sure of a time, I guess Charlie VT would have deterine that as it is his house

I just picked up a Clymers yesterday, took a ride up to White horse press.

Now the important question, what are doing for lunch?

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #25 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 7:17 am

Quote:
I don't think it is definate yet, but looks like April 25th. Not sure of a time, I guess Charlie VT would have deterine that as it is his house

I just picked up a Clymers yesterday, took a ride up to White horse press.

Now the important question, what are doing for lunch?

If there's a grill handy I can bring some marinaded beef tips?? Just need the head count so there will be enough for all. Hey, charlie VT what's the vitals on the Tech Session?
post #26 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 8:18 am

I would love to make this session however, I can not. Curtis PM me your address and I will ship the buckets. Here is a list of things I can send.

Bucket sizes:

I have 2 brand new BMW OEM oil filters and 4 of the metal crimp rings for the fuel lines and the tool. I can send all of this stuff. Hopefully, someone will be able to use it. I no longer have the LT so these parts are useless to me. I also have a slightly used vavle cover gasket. The oil filters ahve the o ring and gaskets. Let me know.

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #27 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:36 am

Jim,

Generous offer of KLT stuff. I'll pm you with mailing address. We'll make note if/when some of your stuff goes into someone's bike so they'll know who to thank.

Re: stuff to eat. We have both a small Hibachi kind of thing as well as one of those round top Webber charcoal grills. No propane but we can be sure to have charcoal on site if that's what folks would like. The offer to bbq is gratefully accepted.
Left to me, someone would make a run to Subway and that would be it.

Looks like the date is going to be 25 April. I suggest an early start 8 or 9 AM. A full 12K BMW "Inspection" can be time consuming especially if valve adjustment is required, and you never know what unexpected stuff you're gonna find. Prior owners leave things like stripped threads missing well-nuts etc.

It would be nice if simple things like crankcase oil and final drive oil changes were done before the tech session if possible, just to save time for the deeper things.

Bringing a few spare body panel screws, and a push nut or two is a good idea. My inventory of those things is presently down to zero. Bring necessary fluids for any changes folks plan on doing, and the needed filters. (I have have good experience with Beemer Bone Yard for service kits. Very quick shipping and prices compared to BMW dealerships).

Last edited by CharlieVT; Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:46 am.
post #28 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:42 am

Who's coming, and to do what?

The plan is for Sat 25 April.
Let me know if you plan on coming and I'll pm you with details.
Please post what you are interested in doing.
I have one lift in a small garage.
More indoor work space is available in one of the out-buildings, or outdoor work can be done if the weather is nice.
Are we just doing maintenance items, or is someone interested in adding driving lights or other electrical stuff?
If you have a Clymer or BMW Service Manual, please bring it.
Other thoughts?
post #29 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 11:13 am

Count me in. I have tools to bleed the brakes, a carb balance meter, and a new LT service manual.

I've already completed my service, so I'll add moral support.

David
post #30 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Count me in.

I would like to do a brake fluid flush, and clutch fluid flush if there is time.

Not quite ready for my 24k, but did my own 12k, so can help with that.

I have a new clymers I will bring.

David: the tools to bleed the breaks would be appreciated, thanks.

I will bring some tools as well.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #31 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
Count me in. I have tools to bleed the brakes, a carb balance meter, and a new LT service manual.
I've already completed my service, so I'll add moral support.
David
David, Great!
Glad to have the offer of additional tools.
Especially since I've never balanced the carbs on my LT!!
(Actually, I did balance the throttle bodies last service).
Is that a 2 or 4 bank carb balancer?
You are planning to show us some of the whiz-bang-farkle-comm stuff Cohesive Technology has to offer?
What do you know that makes you think our morals need support?
Actually, if you have done your own service it'll be great to have you around. If we end up with more than one bike undergoing maintenance, it really helps to have other experienced folks around.
Glad you're going to make it.
post #32 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Quote:
Count me in.
I would like to do a brake fluid flush, and clutch fluid flush if there is time.
Not quite ready for my 24k, but did my own 12k, so can help with that.
I have a new clymers I will bring.
David: the tools to bleed the breaks would be appreciated, thanks.
I will bring some tools as well.
Excellent!
Point of order: We will bleed the "brakes" and drink during the "breaks". Keeping the "break" fluid separate from the "brake" fluid is of the highest importance.
post #33 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

This is shaping up to be a great learning experience. I'll be there. I have all the fluids changed and I'm at 24,000 miles on my 2003 LT. Probably should bring an air and fuel filter, brake fluid for brake flush, canisterectomy would be nice if anyone knows how, drill a weep hole I've read about to save the clutch, don't know what fluid to bring for a clutch fluid bleed. That should keep me pretty busy up until lunch. Any other thoughts on what I should bring? I'm new to the LT, routine.
If you don't think we will need a lift, I have a LARGE garage that can hold about 7 bikes to be worked on, a large driveway, a large grill, a random coyote and bobcat and plenty of fluids if you want to use my abode for the session. There is a dealer 12 miles up the road should we need parts. Let me know, otherwise I look forward to a morning jaunt to VT.
post #34 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Quote:
This is shaping up to be a great learning experience. I'll be there. I have all the fluids changed and I'm at 24,000 miles on my 2003 LT. Probably should bring an air and fuel filter, brake fluid for brake flush, canisterectomy would be nice if anyone knows how, drill a weep hole I've read about to save the clutch, don't know what fluid to bring for a clutch fluid bleed. That should keep me pretty busy up until lunch. Any other thoughts on what I should bring? I'm new to the LT, routine.
If you don't think we will need a lift, I have a LARGE garage that can hold about 7 bikes to be worked on, a large driveway, a large grill, a random coyote and bobcat and plenty of fluids if you want to use my abode for the session. There is a dealer 12 miles up the road should we need parts. Let me know, otherwise I look forward to a morning jaunt to VT.
Sounds like a nice facility.... lot's nicer that a 1700s farm house and barns. The only cement floor I have is a small garage with a lift. Everything else is dirt floor or out side. I put down old carpets when working out of doors or in the barn. Finding dropped screws, etc. is much more difficult under those circumstances. I made a spur of the moment offer to host a tech session when there seemed to be no response to your original post and I'm still happy to do it. If you extend your invitation and the group votes to go to Princeton, MA for the advantages of your garage, etc. no worries mate.

I find getting all the plastic and gas tank off for access to filters to not take too much time with the right tools and the experience of having done it once or twice. But the more people doing it, the longer it takes. If you add valve check and possible valve adjustment, plus clutch bleed, plus cannister.... well, I'd be surprised if all that got done before lunch. And if you want to do a clutch slave drill, I'd start that in the AM because it is possible to run into problems with swingarm bolts, etc. To do that, rear wheel, final drive, swing arm all have to come off. Also, if you plan on doing the weep hole project, don't bother with the clutch fluid bleed, that gets done concurrent with the weep hole. Fluid for the clutch is the same as the brake fluid.

Folks on this board did a slave drill tech session a while back, how long did it take to do it? When I did mine, like most projects, it was over a day or two, a little session at a time, and I have no idea how total hours were involved. Some folks have ended up with their bike off the road for a while when removing swing are pivots didn't go well. Something to consider when you choose to undertake the weep hole project.
post #35 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Well, maybe the tough stuff will wait. Like you say, its up to the group where they want to meet. I'm open either way. The SO is open to the idea so I won't be in the dog house. As mentioned, I'm new at this and don't have the knowledge or experience to lead a session but can offer a location. I want to learn as much as possible about this machine and I'm a good listener. I have some tools that I've been collecting as I delve into the bike. All are welcome or a morning ride to VT would be welcomed.
Thanks
post #36 of 149 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 9:54 pm

A large garage would have advantages. I would offer mine except that is where I keep the bodies.

I have a dual carb balancer I kept for my RT. It will work for a four cylinder if one is used as a master (usually number four).

I have the funnel-looking thingie for the new style brake controller (also from my RT). This fits my '07 and is used for bleeding the secondary circuit without introducing air.

I have other tools as necessary (torque wrenches and the like). I also have a power screw driver that serves double-duty if I stay out in the garage too long.

Ok, yuk.

I can show you the canisterectomy as I did this during the Winter.
post #37 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 7:22 am

Re: Who's coming, and to do what?

Have a used new to me 05 LT which needs new fluids, Filters and general bike familiarization. Also, what is the head count for the BBQ.. I got the TIPs covered..
post #38 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 7:41 am

Update Here. Sat 24 April. 8 AM

Gents,
Here's what I get from summarizing the posts above:
BigGeo wants a 12K interval BMW inspection, cannister removal, and possible weep hole.
Livingfree wants to do brake and clutch fluid.
NH BMW is coming to learn and cook bbq. No projects?
CohesiveTechnology is coming to help, bringing tools. No projects?

Unless we get more bikes with more projects, my place will serve very nicely. We'll put BigGeo's bike on the lift for the full service and that'll be the main event.
With only LivingFree's bike the other project, and with only brakes and clutch to do, we'll have no problems. We might even tackle BigGeo's weep hole (If he'll sign the waiver ).
Did I miss something?

So unless more bikes and more projects get added, I'll vote for locating the session here in the Deep South of Vermont. If folks would rather go to BigGeo's place for the nicer garage, just say so. Works for me either way.

We'll have plenty of fun, some folks will learn a bunch, and some bikes will get needed attention.

If you are planning on coming, send me a private msg on this site and I'll get back to you with details.
post #39 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 8:04 am

Quote:
CohesiveTechnology is coming to help, bringing tools. No projects?
None that I am on fire about. I did everything in the Winter when the garage was 20 degrees.

I would like to do the weep hole eventually.

As for farkleizations; I have become very familiar with the electronics of the bike. I had my babies' guts all over the garage floor, and managed to put everything back perfectly - including many modifications.

Is this boys only? My Queen asked if she could attend as well.
post #40 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 8:07 am

Re: Update Here. Sat 24 April. 8 AM

Seems that BigGeo has the large garage room for all bikes and has the OK from his SO. I vote for BigGeo's place...

Anybody else?
post #41 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 9:05 am

Now BigGeo's for tech session:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBMW
Seems that BigGeo has the large garage room for all bikes and has the OK from his SO. I vote for BigGeo's place...
Anybody else?
I just noted your post above: "Have a used new to me 05 LT which needs new fluids, Filters and general bike familiarization. Also, what is the head count for the BBQ.. I got the TIPs covered.."

That makes two bikes for filters, meaning tupperware and gas tank removal. That would tip the scales in favor of BigGeo's nice garage. Having a nice garage floor for tupperware removal means fewer lost screws

I vote for BigGeo's place too.
post #42 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 9:36 am

Re: Now BigGeo's for tech session:

Just let me know where I should send the parts I have for you guys.

Here is the list again:
Bucket sizes:

I have 2 brand new BMW OEM oil filters and 4 of the metal crimp rings for the fuel lines and the tool. I can send all of this stuff. Hopefully, someone will be able to use it. I no longer have the LT so these parts are useless to me. I also have a slightly used vavle cover gasket. The oil filters ahve the o ring and gaskets. Let me know.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #43 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:09 am

Just had all my fluids changed after getting the big lug out of storage, but would love to observe how it is done.
post #44 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:14 am

NHBMW - Maybe we can get together to make the trip? and any one else from NH going. Is there any thing I can bring (food, sodas?)
post #45 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:33 am

David,

We're still attempting to confirm the location? the session may be at BigGeo house he has the largest accomendations and seems like it should be a good turn out alot of people showing interest!
post #46 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:35 am

Sounds good... Pm me with your vitals and will contact once location confirmation is settled.
post #47 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:42 pm

I am good for BigGeo's place as well.

I live in Keene (SW NH); not far from CharlieVT. I haven't looked for BigGeo's place, but if a pack makes sense, then make it so.
post #48 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Wait, I found it. MA? I suppose I'll need to bring lots of tax money.
post #49 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 3:25 pm

BigGeo's place is fine with me as well. Just under a 100 miles for me, so not a big deal.

Now as long as I don't BREAK down on the way. I can always take a BREAK, but if my BRAKES hold out, I should be able to make it without a BREAK. So now I just need to pick up some BRAKE fluid.

How's that

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

post #50 of 149 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

A bit of a cook out for lunch time sounds great. I'll supply the grill and propane. Still don't have a head count yet. I'm looking forward to meeting you all. I'll post directions if we confirm to meet here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in