Polar Bear Ride 1 Jan 2009 in DC area - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2008, 4:47 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
george_falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rockville, MD, USA
Posts: 20
Polar Bear Ride 1 Jan 2009 in DC area

For 25 yrs., the Potomac Area Road Riders (PARR) has had a Polar Bear Ride on 1 January. PARR decided to call it quits on this ride, and I wanted BMW riders to pick up the baton and run with it. I've requested and received the blessings of BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington (BMWBMW) Rides chairman Ed Phelps to try to do just that.

I'm hoping to be able to begin the ride at the same location it has been starting, The Sign of the Whale in Falls Church, VA. I'm thinking that in order to get more participants from Maryland, we might end the ride in Maryland. A lot of people like to watch football on New Year's Day, so I've made arrangements with the manager of Hooters of Rockville for a 20% discount on the tabs of registered riders.

Cost will be low (probably $10 per person or less), and participants will get the Hooters discount and an embroidered patch. I'll post more details as I work them out.

=======================================
George Falcon, Rockville, MD.
Riding since 1975, daily since 2000.
2005 K1200LT in gold (my third K1200LT)
(frame cracked)
AMA, BMWMOA, BMWRA, BMWBMW
NRA, Mensa, Intertel
=======================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

george_falcon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old Nov 27th, 2008, 11:44 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
george_falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rockville, MD, USA
Posts: 20
Re: Polar Bear Ride 1 Jan 2009 in DC area

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_falcon
For 25 yrs., the Potomac Area Road Riders (PARR) has had a Polar Bear Ride on 1 January. PARR decided to call it quits on this ride, and I wanted BMW riders to pick up the baton and run with it. I've requested and received the blessings of BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington (BMWBMW) Rides chairman Ed Phelps to try to do just that.

I'm hoping to be able to begin the ride at the same location it has been starting, The Sign of the Whale in Falls Church, VA. I'm thinking that in order to get more participants from Maryland, we might end the ride in Maryland. A lot of people like to watch football on New Year's Day, so I've made arrangements with the manager of Hooters of Rockville for a 20% discount on the tabs of registered riders.

Cost will be low (probably $10 per person or less), and participants will get the Hooters discount and an embroidered patch. I'll post more details as I work them out.
Updated / corrected / clarified version:
For 25 yrs., the Potomac Area Road Riders (PARR) has had a Polar Bear Ride on 1 January. PARR decided to discontinue their leadership in this ride, and I wanted BMW riders to pick up the baton and run with it.

The ride will make use of as many interesting and scenic side roads as possible. I'm hoping to be able to begin the ride early in the morning at its traditional start point, The Sign of the Whale on U. S. Rt. 50 in Falls Church, VA., but as of Thanksgiving Day, this is not yet firm. In order to include Maryland in the ride, and in recognition of the fact that a number of people like to watch football on New Year's Day, I received 27 November a commitment from Mike Transeau, the manager of Hooters of Rockville, for a 20% discount on the tabs of registered riders. Hooters of Rockville is a brand new facility with at least five large high definition TVs on which we can watch football.

Registered participants will receive route maps, the Hooters discount, and an embroidered Polar Bear Ride patch. To register, send your $8 registration fee to George Falcon / Computer Mercenaries Inc. at PayPal ([email protected]) prior to 26 December, or mail a check made out to George Falcon, postmarked NLT 26 December 2008 to him at 212 Dawson Avenue, Rockville, MD. 20850-1812. On-site registration the morning of the ride will be $10 per person. Be sure to include an email address and telephone number so I can let you know the starting point once I've nailed that down.

=======================================
George Falcon, Rockville, MD.
Riding since 1975, daily since 2000.
2005 K1200LT in gold (my third K1200LT)
(frame cracked)
AMA, BMWMOA, BMWRA, BMWBMW
NRA, Mensa, Intertel
=======================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

george_falcon is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 3:21 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
george_falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rockville, MD, USA
Posts: 20
Re: Polar Bear Ride 1 Jan 2009 in DC area

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_falcon
Updated / corrected / clarified version:
For 25 yrs., the Potomac Area Road Riders (PARR) has had a Polar Bear Ride on 1 January. PARR decided to discontinue their leadership in this ride, and I wanted BMW riders to pick up the baton and run with it.

The ride will make use of as many interesting and scenic side roads as possible. I'm hoping to be able to begin the ride early in the morning at its traditional start point, The Sign of the Whale on U. S. Rt. 50 in Falls Church, VA., but as of Thanksgiving Day, this is not yet firm. In order to include Maryland in the ride, and in recognition of the fact that a number of people like to watch football on New Year's Day, I received 27 November a commitment from Mike Transeau, the manager of Hooters of Rockville, for a 20% discount on the tabs of registered riders. Hooters of Rockville is a brand new facility with at least five large high definition TVs on which we can watch football.

Registered participants will receive route maps, the Hooters discount, and an embroidered Polar Bear Ride patch. To register, send your $15 registration fee to George Falcon / Computer Mercenaries Inc. at PayPal ([email protected]) prior to 26 December, or mail a check made out to George Falcon, postmarked NLT 26 December 2008 to him at 212 Dawson Avenue, Rockville, MD. 20850-1812. On-site registration the morning of the ride will be available. We'll start from the International House of Pancakes (IHOP) at 6655 Arlington Blvd., Falls Church, VA 22042-3002. (703) 237-5191.
We'll have K1200LT-oriented patches, and registration is $15 per person. Please use the eBay item to purchase your tickets.

=======================================
George Falcon, Rockville, MD.
Riding since 1975, daily since 2000.
2005 K1200LT in gold (my third K1200LT)
(frame cracked)
AMA, BMWMOA, BMWRA, BMWBMW
NRA, Mensa, Intertel
=======================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by george_falcon; Dec 21st, 2008 at 3:24 pm. Reason: Adding an image URL for the patch.
george_falcon is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 4:13 pm
Senior Member
 
Sharkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Napa , CA, USA
Posts: 567
Re: Polar Bear Ride 1 Jan 2009 in DC area

I live on the west coast. I would like to get the patch. If I buy an entry could you send me the patch.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sharkey is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:39 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
george_falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rockville, MD, USA
Posts: 20
Re: Polar Bear Ride 1 Jan 2009 in DC area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
I live on the west coast. I would like to get the patch. If I buy an entry could you send me the patch.
Whoever buys tickets gets a patch, yes, because profits go to the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, and I wouldn't turn money for them down for any reason.

=======================================
George Falcon, Rockville, MD.
Riding since 1975, daily since 2000.
2005 K1200LT in gold (my third K1200LT)
(frame cracked)
AMA, BMWMOA, BMWRA, BMWBMW
NRA, Mensa, Intertel
=======================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

george_falcon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Area ride routes allen Curve Cowboy Reunion 15 Aug 5th, 2006 8:40 am
Long Christmas Ride Story desertlizard Ride Tales 2 Jan 1st, 2006 3:16 am
Ain't Going on No Stinkin' Boat! jhowdy Ride Tales 5 Dec 31st, 2005 8:17 am
Sunday Ride to Napa area.... Ted Shred Northern California 15 Oct 31st, 2005 9:52 am
atlanta area ride - 2nd Annual Ride for Recognition tmgs South East 2 Oct 4th, 2005 7:04 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome