Burr... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Burr...

OK. It was a bit cool on the way in today. Had everything and anything that would through heat on. But I could not waste a possible 60 degree after noon ride home. Now only if the traffic would cooperate.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 11:43 am

Re: Burr...

A bit cool? Nah, it was DOWNRIGHT COLD! Kudos to you if you rode in. It was below freezing at my house (27 deg). I don't like riding in below freezing temps, only due to the danger of black ice in the low lying, foggy areas.

But, I'm skipping out of work early to take a ride this afternoon! (Shhh, don't tell the boss.)

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

I wish I could skip out but we have been having layoffs for the last 3 weeks and it's not looking better.

There are 2 possible areas of black ice on the way to work. The worst is on my street and if that looks good and there has been no rain or melt the day before I'm good.

The LT was warm... acceptable to 20 the GT is OK at 32 and above but this morning at 22 I had a cold chin. Time to bring back the wiskers.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 1:52 pm

If it's below 40 I won't ride to work. There is a stretch I ride through that I call the desert (sand dunes on both sides of the road) that is always about 10 degrees colder than when I leave the house. If it's below 40 when I leave, that means it's below 30 going through the desert .

I'll drive the truck, thank you very much!!!

The weather for this Sunday afternoon looks good for what will possibly be the last ride of 2008 for Rosie and me .

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist

Last edited by razman10; Oct 24th, 2008 at 1:53 pm. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10

....There is a stretch I ride through that I call the desert (sand dunes on both sides of the road) that is always about 10 degrees colder than when I leave the house. If it's below 40 when I leave, that means it's below 30 going through the desert ....
yeah.. I used to live at the end of a peninsula in the mid-coast Maine.. it wouldn't be uncommon to go through 4 or 5 micro climate changes on the way to work every day... fortunately the weather here on the cape is typically warmer and the ride is just on the other side of portland... The Thermometer read 29 yesterday morning... turned out to be a great day nontheless.. same today.... gotta love the country road cruise at lunch...

Asleepless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 3:25 pm

I hear ya... but I still can't bring myself to ride it when it's that cold in the morning!!!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10

If it's below 40 I won't ride to work. There is a stretch I ride through that I call the desert (sand dunes on both sides of the road) that is always about 10 degrees colder than when I leave the house. If it's below 40 when I leave, that means it's below 30 going through the desert .

I'll drive the truck, thank you very much!!!

The weather for this Sunday afternoon looks good for what will possibly be the last ride of 2008 for Rosie and me .
Yup, I'm going to try to get out for awhile Saturday, before the predicted rain showers hit. Might as well fill the tank and add some Sta-Bil to the fuel and run it through the system. Not much riding time after that, I'm afraid. Once it starts getting colder, cagers don't expect bikes to be on the road, and they really aren't looking for them. Plus, the low sun in the eyes doesn't help. Discretion really can be the better part of valor.

Sunday Telle has plans for us to go to the Home Show (emergency whole-house generator shopping time), and then it's time to make sure the snowblower is ready to go for the season. New plug, air filter, and fresh oil, grease the fittings, curse at the very thought of actually having to use it.......

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

The days of taking the GT to work now are most likely counted on one hand now. Next weekend I'll ad stabil and top it off.

Next on the list is to get the yard vacuum going pick up all the leaves and then do a quick PM on the snow blower.

It's a sad time of year when you have to move the motorcycles from the garage to the shed and the snow blower to the garage

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 8:58 pm

I rode into work today. 35 was the indicated low. Granted my ride is only about 7 miles. In the dark months 7 miles is happy time (start to get cold - you're there). In summer months, 7 miles becomes 12, 15, 25 or more because I take the "Long" way home.

I'll be cautious and ride only on days when it's dry with temps climbing into the low to mid 40's from the mid 20's or so. Of course not when there's been a melt/freeze either. I figure on average during the November through February timeframe I'll get in 2 days, perhaps a bit more per week. I'm hopeful of that anyway... It beats using a battery tender

Mark
'07 RT
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 8:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankshot
OK. It was a bit cool on the way in today. Had everything and anything that would through heat on. But I could not waste a possible 60 degree after noon ride home. Now only if the traffic would cooperate.
Coldest I rode last winter was about 19 degrees F. Still, i was pretty comfortable with my heated gloves.
Rode all winter one year in Mass on an XS1100, commuting to Harvard Sq from Haverhill on 93. No electrics for me back then, but had a big suit over which I wore a down parka. Keeping hands and feet warm was the issue once it got below 25 degrees. Interesting thing, don't think I ever got a cold that winter.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in