Too hot to ride...? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:16 am Thread Starter

Too hot to ride...?

I've having a tough time getting the LT out during these hot summer days. My mileage rate (miles/month) for this year is embarrassing. I feel like I should be riding a Harley or something. I just got my 24k done two weeks ago and my ride hasn't been out of the garage, since. I guess part of the reason is that I got a 'new' toy (BMW car) and it's just so easy to jump in and take off. I'm just rambling, now. I can't call myself a rider if I'm not riding...

...but it is hot out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 6:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Too hot to ride...?

Get a grip man! I too am a "Corporate Slave" but ride to work in between the summer thunderboomers. I always turn heads and those who know me always ask where I went over the week end.

Start her up, and Ride like you stole it!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 9:44 am

Yep, I too can not ride when it gets hot. Due to three rather serious concussions, the heat is a factor I have to consider before heading out. Therefore, I either ride in the AM, or when the sun starts going down. If it is still too much, I just won't ride. I seem to be ok up to around 85-87, more than that I will not take the bike out. I did notice the full dark visor on the full face helmet does help considerably riding on sunny days.

I did the year round riding in all temps from 25 degrees up to 112 degrees or so, 30 yrs ago. I have to be much more careful when I decide to ride these days.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I've having a tough time getting the LT out during these hot summer days. My mileage rate (miles/month) for this year is embarrassing. I feel like I should be riding a Harley or something.
It's funny that you say that actually! It really has just been brutal the last few weeks, last weekend the heat index was up over 100 on Saturday. I haven't been riding the LT, BUT I have had my Harley out quite a bit! There's just so much more airflow with that bike (and I can take the winshield off if I want it maxed out) that it's just more comfortable this time of year to ride.
THIS is why we all need more than ONE bike! If you're SO gives you a hard time when you bring this up, you can always show her my post to convince her....

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:06 am

Ride so you have a REAL reason to be upset!!! Stay hydrated. Bring a "fresh shirt" to change into at work... DAMHIK.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:20 pm

I am glad that this is posted in the east forum. Texas boys would be laughing at us by now!!!

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
I am glad that this is posted in the east forum. Texas boys would be laughing at us by now!!!
Well, yeah. And we also laugh when y'all get that white stuff on the ground.

I think it's how you're brought up. The heat doesn't affect me, but man I get cold when it gets below 30 degree's. I've seen pix of y'all running around in t-shirts when I'm bundled. Blood like 90 weight!

Bee pollen capsules are a regular in my tank bag on long trips in the heat. Naturally replaces electrolites (Gatorade makes me pee like a fountain).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 1:11 pm

Hey I ride whenever I can. Today did not cuz of the thunder boomers predicted all day. Not that I am afraid to ride in the rain or T boomers but I have boating class I am taking tonight and sitting in a class for a few hours even slightly wet is not fun.

To impress you all, I have been teaching MC safety every saturday for the last several weekends and I will be teaching every Sat in August. I think it comes out to be about 10 weekends in a row. I prehydrate before I leave for class. And I bring at least 8 bottles of water to class with me.

I actually have been riding all week cuz the Tahoe has been in the shop with a bum transfer case. I rode to my softball practice yesterday and to work. It seems I am not bothered by the heat as much anymore. Mind over matter.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #9 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
It seems I am not bothered by the heat as much anymore. Mind over matter.
I am comfortably numb- Pink Floyd

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 2:15 pm

Garage

Living in So. Florida, it is always hot. I ride the 40 miles to work everyday rain or shine. Lately the thunderstoms come in late in the afternoon and I keep an eye on the weather map: http://www.weatherplus.com/radar/ which helps me to dodge as many as possible. But I don't mind the raingear. My cages have only made this drive about 4 times in the last 6 months.

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

South Florida

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 5:51 am

Are you thinking about selling your K?

GoldRush
'06 K1200LT - As of March 2017!
'05 K1200LT - RIP - (totaled 7/8/08)
Former Yankee Beemer Member
Former BMWMOA Member
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 6:46 am

I hate riding in hot weather also, Travis. Finally got tired of watching my bike sit in August so I bought a phase change vest. Has made riding on those hot muggy days tolerable while wearing all my gear. Here are a couple of links for you:
http://www.50degree.com/

http://www.coolvest.com/

http://www.blackicecooling.com/index.html

I would think these would work pretty well also:
http://www.coolshirt.net/motorcycle-cool-bag.html

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 9:10 am

Thanks for those links!

Now, if they only had pockets in the helmets to insert some cool packs, that would about do it.

One other product worth mentioning is the neck cooler scarf from:
http://www.bestglide.com/neck_cooling_scarf.html

Best one I have seen so far, great for cooling the blood to your head.
I also bought their First Response Quikclot sponges.
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 9:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
Thanks for those links!

Now, if they only had pockets in the helmets to insert some cool packs, that would about do it.

One other product worth mentioning is the neck cooler scarf from:
http://www.bestglide.com/neck_cooling_scarf.html

Best one I have seen so far, great for cooling the blood to your head.
I also bought their First Response Quikclot sponges.
I bought a couple of small helmet cooler PC discs last year. Put it on top of my head before putting on helmet ( Shoei X-Eleven ). Prolly doesn't work as well as a helmet cooler would, but does stay cold for about 1 hour or so. PC vest stays cooler for much longer.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in