Bike is dead! Would like to jump it with a portable battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

Bike is dead! Would like to jump it with a portable battery

Hi-

I know that some of you will hit me on the head over what I am about to propose but please understand my position.

I have a portable battery - one of those start your car things that you can light up the place and inflate your tires with - and I need to jump the bike battery because its dead.

The bike is always sitting in the parking lot and I can not get power out there - I live in an appartment complex - to charge the battery.

Is it practical to try it? I have a 2005 LT ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1201ltc
I don't see why not. I have jumped mine off my truck before. Just be careful with the big clamps. I have some mini jumper cables I got at O'Reilly's that work great.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Gopher it

Yeah Spiros,
like Munson says, just careful when putting the clamps on the battery terminals. Positive terminal is especially hard to get to without grounding on something at the same time. Wrap a bunch of tape around most of the exposed clamp to minimize accidental gounding. The negative terminal isn't really a concern. If the clamp for the positive terminal is still too big, consider using a smaller jumper to go between the battery and the (+) clamp of you backup battery. HTH and good luck.

Quote:
Hi-

I know that some of you will hit me on the head over what I am about to propose but please understand my position.

I have a portable battery - one of those start your car things that you can light up the place and inflate your tires with - and I need to jump the bike battery because its dead.

The bike is always sitting in the parking lot and I can not get power out there - I live in an appartment complex - to charge the battery.

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 1:48 pm

Would one of those pigtail things that come with the trickle battery chargers that bolt to the terminals on the battery work if he figured out how to wire a connector from his car battery? At least he would not have to fight with the actual bike battery terminals each time or even have to raise the seat.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 2:35 pm

Other battery connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
Would one of those pigtail things that come with the trickle battery chargers that bolt to the terminals on the battery work if he figured out how to wire a connector from his car battery? At least he would not have to fight with the actual bike battery terminals each time or even have to raise the seat.
That would be not much different than plugging into the forward power outlet. You can run a charger through those wires but if you try to run cranking amperes through it you will blow fuses or melt wires. Charging is one thing, jumping a dead battery for cranks amps is another. For jumping you need to get a heavy gauge wire to the battery terminal.
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 3:14 pm

Just a head up, but my ABS pump got shorted out from a bad ground wire last spring. I personally would not recommend putting jumpers down in there. I like the idea of adding pig tails that you can connect outside the bike.
Also, just a thought, but what about taking the battery out and charging it, then just putting it back in tomorrow AM?
Just a thought.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Pull the battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Just a head up, but my ABS pump got shorted out from a bad ground wire last spring. I personally would not recommend putting jumpers down in there. I like the idea of adding pig tails that you can connect outside the bike.
Also, just a thought, but what about taking the battery out and charging it, then just putting it back in tomorrow AM?
Just a thought.
Removing the battery to charge it is a good idea. Best one yet.
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Just a thought.

Leave it to a mechanical engineer...

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 7:38 pm

"ah thaynk yoo... thaynk yoo... I'll be here all week"

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:27 pm

I have a pickup that rarely gets started. I need to move it more often in the winter to clean up the snow. I used to have to put the charger on it or jump start it just about every time I wanted to use it. I bought a small solar panel that plugs into the cig lighter. I think it cost about $25. You could change the end or use an adaptor to plug it into your bike and it should be ready to go at any time. The panel has an automatic shut off so that it doesn't over charge the battery. You could just unplug it and toss it into the top or side case and ride. The only problem might be that some punk might rip it off just for kicks. I guess it depends on your hood.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:33 am

Solar charger - great idea!

So Spiros,

got that bike started yet?

I really like the idea of a solar trickle charger. I bet you could tuck that in behind the windshield or under the toprack so it was pretty unobtrusive and thus not too inviting to a snitch.

http://www.nextag.com/solar-trickle-charger/search-html

And how about making it up to Vermont in May for Ride Vermont 2008?
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

CharlieVT-

You know I am not handy at all. At best I can jump it but I have not gotten around to it as of yet.

I am hoping this weekend to get it done.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

If I blow up the bike in trying to jump it, I will post a follow-up.
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:01 am Thread Starter

I am on my way outside to jump it.

I charged the portable battery....

Wish me luck!!!! I really want to ride today !!!!
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I am on my way outside to jump it.

I charged the portable battery....

Wish me luck!!!! I really want to ride today !!!!

The BABY is purrrrrrrrr-------ing outside !!!!!

Oh yeah yeah baby! Who is your daddy ??????

I am getting out of here in short folks !!!!! Places to see valleys to explore!!!!
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:54 am

Thumbs up Way to go

Quote:
The BABY is purrrrrrrrr-------ing outside !!!!!
Oh yeah yeah baby! Who is your daddy ??????
I am getting out of here in short folks !!!!! Places to see valleys to explore!!!!
Way to go Spiros. Ride on.
Daddyo, you cats are so crrrazzy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in