Merry Christmas to all! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 7:22 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Merry Christmas to all!

I'm dreaming of a blue , just like the one I sat on yesterday...

so the tune goes...

Merry Christmas everyone at BMWLT! I hope to be joining you here frequently. It's been many many years since I rode and for whatever reason the bug has hit me like stink on... well, I'm sure you get the idea. I've been reasearching all aspects of riding from the bikes themselves to gear, helmets, licensing law and training. Here in the north east it seems the MSF BRC doesn't run until April... seems like such a long time from now. Sheesh...

I'll be looking forward to being here once I pick up my BMW. Currently considering, strongly, the R1200RT. What a sweet ride!

Peace and good will, Merry Christmas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 10:22 am

Test ride first

Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you do a test ride before you plunk down your hard earned money. The LT is a handful if you are height challenged. It is a little top heavy. Once you get it going 5 mph or above, it is pretty sporty. Are you too far from the NY City to go to the bike show this weekend? We are going by bus with a bunch of bikers.
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Hi Jim, what day are you and Judy going to the show? Mo and I haven't decided as to what day we will go. Keep in touch.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 7:00 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Schuyler
Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you do a test ride before you plunk down your hard earned money. The LT is a handful if you are height challenged. It is a little top heavy. Once you get it going 5 mph or above, it is pretty sporty. Are you too far from the NY City to go to the bike show this weekend? We are going by bus with a bunch of bikers.
Hi Jim and thanks! Actually I wasn't considering the LT at all... far too big and, well I like sporty/spirited. It doesn't appear to me that the LT would be much of either. Anyway, the RT is where I'm concentrating my research but I'm not leaving it at that. I am looking at others too and will certainly ride a couple or more before dropping any coin on the table.

Im in Hartford, not too far at all from NYC. I just learned of the show a day or so ago. Unfortunatly I'm committed already and will not be able to make it. Are there any other shows in the north east during the year?

Mark
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 7:45 am

Welcome! What dealer are you considering? I would recommend Max BMW in North Hampton, NH. They will deliver the bike to you at your home. They have a bunch of Rts in stock new and used. No I do not work for them. I just a very happy customer that bought a LT two years ago. Great bunch of guys. Be aware of Gengras's Service Dept. I am also a certified MSF instructor here in CT. Great program.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 8:41 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the welcome! Since Gengras is only a few miles from home and work and one of only 2 or 3 dealers in CT they're the only one that I've visited. I talked to Zach for a good 90 minutes going over several of the bikes from K's to R's and even the LT (too big for me...). Anyway, very nice guy, easy to talk with, no pressure, etc... As far as sales goes I would have no problem working with them. What are the issues with service?

Here's another Q as well... in researching auto's one can easily see MSRP, invoice and generally what others are paying. Anything like that around for bikes? Or is MSRP what everyone pays, period?

Mark
'07 RT
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 9:22 am

Bike show NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk12lt
Hi Jim, what day are you and Judy going to the show? Mo and I haven't decided as to what day we will go. Keep in touch.

John,

We are taking a chartered bus Saturday from the Utica area. Hit the show at noon or a little later & leave by 7 for the return trip home.
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 9:28 am

MAx has 07 Rts for 15900. Not sure what the MSRP is on them. They are not loaded but have some decent options like heated grips Cruise and bike computer.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #9 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:41 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

$15.9K sounds good. I think $16.4 is MSRP with no options. Add $2K options min (ESA, heated grip & seat, etc..), $4K with a radio.

On Gengras service... just read through the thread that discusses Cliff's (pre Gengras) in Canton. Interestingly nothing has been posted since July or August of last year regarding Gengras good or bad...

None the less, I might have to take you up on Max's. Seems several are happy with them. I'll at least have to go check them out...

Where do you instruct? MCC? Noorich? I would like to get in on the first class this year, get my license ASAP so I can put the SO legally on the backside.

Mark
'07 RT
post #10 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:44 pm

I teach in North HAven at Gateway. Sign up early for classes though they sell out very quickly. Below is the first few weeks of the BRC in North Haven and Eli Whitney. I think the cost is now $200 for the class. Of course when you pass you get your waiver so you do not need to take riding test at DMV. Just written.

BRC 01 (2 WEEK) APRIL 3 - 12 PI:
CLASSROOM 211 THURSDAY APRIL 3 & 10 6:00 PM- 9:30 PM AI:
ON-CYCLE ELI-WHIT SATURDAY APRIL 5 & 12 8:00 AM- 3:00 PM RA:
BRC 02 (2 WEEK) APRIL 4 - 13 PI:
CLASSROOM 211 FRIDAY APRIL 4 & 11 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM AI:
ON-CYCLE ELI-WHIT SUNDAY APRIL 6 & 13 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM RA:
BRC 03 (1 WEEKEND) APRIL 4 - 6
CLASSROOM 213 FRIDAY APRIL 4 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM PI:
ONCYCLE/CLASS SATURDAY APRIL 5 8:00 AM-12:00 & 1:00 – 5:00 PM AI:
ON-CYCLE GNH SUNDAY APRIL 6 8:00 AM-12:00 & 1:00 – 5:00 PM RA:
BRC 04 (2 WEEK) APRIL 17 - 26 PI:
CLASSROOM 211 THURSDAY APRIL 17 & 24 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM AI:
ON-CYCLE ELI-WHIT SATURDAY APRIL 19 & 26 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM RA:
BRC 05 (2 WEEK) APRIL 18 - 27 PI:
CLASSROOM 211 FRIDAY APRIL 18 & 25 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM AI:
ON-CYCLE ELI-WHIT SUNDAY APRIL 20 & 27 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM RA:
BRC 06 (1 WEEKEND) APRIL 25 - 27
CLASSROOM 213 FRIDAY APRIL 25 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM PI:
ONCYCLE/CLASS SATURDAY APRIL 26 8:00 AM-12:00 & 1:00 – 5:00 PM AI:
ON-CYCLE GNH SUNDAY APRIL 27 8:00 AM-12:00 & 1:00 – 5:00 PM RA:
BRC 07 (2 WEEK) MAY 1 - 10 PI:
CLASSROOM 211 THURSDAY MAY 1 & 8 6:00 PM- 9:30 PM AI:
ON-CYCLE ELI-WHIT SATURDAY MAY 3 & 10 8:00 AM- 3:00 PM RA:
BRC 08 (2 WEEK) MAY 2 - 11 PI:
CLASSROOM 211 FRIDAY MAY 2 & 9 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM AI:
ON-CYCLE ELI-WHIT SUNDAY MAY 4 & 11 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM RA:

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #11 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:57 pm

As far as MAx goes here is my experience with them.

Was looking for RT but for two up riding the LT is way better. Test rode both with and with out Pillion. The wife loved the comfort of the LT. Anyway, I had about 7500 ,miles on the bike. We were headed to VT for the BMWMOA rally when the clutch on her started to slip. We made it to Burlington, VT and just happened to be staying in the same Hotel as Max and his crew were staying. I mentioned the slippage to him and he told me to bring the bike to the tent and he would check it out. Long story short, clutch was bad, they took the bike back to their shop in Nh and repaired in less than a week at No charge to me at all. And yes the clutch going was my fault. I was screwing around a few days before wiht a buddy of mine and did some serious damage to it. I now have almost 18K and no problems at all. They came down to CT with a truck last year about this time and picked it up and did the 12k service. I think it was about 450 for that no charge for the taxi service.

I was up in NH a few weeks ago and looked at the RT, thought about trading the LT in for the RT. They were willing to give me $12500 for a trade in sight unseen. And deliver the RT to my front door for no charge.

Maybe Kevin will pipe in about the service at Gengras, I will let him tell of his horror story.

I know Gengras is very easy because it is so close but I had problems with Canton in the past while trying to get advise and parts for my 78 R100/7. I spoke with a couple of guys at max's and never once did I get a cold shoulder. They have always been helpful. I had the /7 before the LT. Anyway good luck and hope to see you on the road or in a class.

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #12 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 2:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Not sure that I'll want to hit up New Haven when Hartford / Manchester are 10 minutes away... but who knows. That April 4-6 slot might work. I'll certainly let you know if I'm in on it... All locations are basically say stay tuned for the '08 schedule... Any idea when sign up starts?

As for Gengras I'll hold judgement until expirience (personal or by trusted others) says otherwise. Currently there's not much stated here on the plus side and little to none on the minus side that I've found on this site.

And Max's is 131 miles away!!!

Mark
'07 RT
post #13 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 2:13 pm

Cool. I am not sure when the sign up starts. I know our refresh is Feb 2. So I would assume sometime in Jan or Feb.

And I totally understand the location issue with Gengras and Max. I am just relaying my experience.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #14 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 2:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Cool here too...
Jim - I forgot to mention that your website is either down or the link is bad...

(then again I see the redirect to 8080... perhaps my firewall is blocking it, but if I recall correctly it isn't. I'll have to try it from home tonight.)

Mark
'07 RT
post #15 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 3:08 pm

thanks I will have to check it.
BTW, I am checking with the site manager for sign up dates for msf.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #16 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 5:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Site's UP!

Jim - either you fixed it, or more likely we're blocking port 8080 at work. So, where's the picture of you and your LT?

Mark
'07 RT
post #17 of 20 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:44 pm

Hi Mark, greetings from across the river in Glastonbury. I see you have been talking to Gengras related to buying a bike. I'll add to the discussion since I am a Canton/Gengras user. I bought my 2000 LTC from Canton in Nov 99 where I met Don, who now is the current service manager at Gengras. Don has taken good care of me, and has been working on BMW's for many years. I've been dropping in there as they have been building up activity since the picked up the franchise from Canton. I feel they are doing a good job. A good selection of clothing items, and 15% off a few times a year to get customers in. I have also spoken to Zack, he seems to be knowledgeable in the business. I have a local friend that loves the dealer in Greenfield. We all have our favorites.

As far as cycle training, I like the Air Guard at Bradley. They have use of an indoor facility to keep you out of the rain, during break time.

There will be a cycle show in Hartford at the old BJ's in January. New York is more of a class act. Metro North is my route to NYC for this weekends activity.

We are lucky in this area as we can ride year round. Did a quick run out to the UConn Dairy Bar, this afternoon. Glad the state is has stopped using sand. RT44 was just fine.

Good luck with your pending purchase.

Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #18 of 20 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 12:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMar
Jim - either you fixed it, or more likely we're blocking port 8080 at work. So, where's the picture of you and your LT?
\\

I think your work was blocking 8080. Good question. I am usually behing the camera though. Used to be a pro photog in an earlier life. Just a habit I guess.

Here is a pic of my LT from last spring. It was taken during the certification course to become a MSF instructor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 MSF Tunxis 032.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	15789  

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #19 of 20 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 6:53 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
\\

Here is a pic of my LT from last spring. It was taken during the certification course to become a MSF instructor.
I would assume that you didn't take the pic as the LT isn't at the center of attention... or were you hot for that hog?

Mark
'07 RT
post #20 of 20 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 7:18 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar00c
Hi Mark, greetings from across the river in Glastonbury. I see you have been talking to Gengras related to buying a bike. I'll add to the discussion since I am a Canton/Gengras user. I bought my 2000 LTC from Canton in Nov 99 where I met Don, who now is the current service manager at Gengras. Don has taken good care of me, and has been working on BMW's for many years. I've been dropping in there as they have been building up activity since the picked up the franchise from Canton. I feel they are doing a good job. A good selection of clothing items, and 15% off a few times a year to get customers in. I have also spoken to Zack, he seems to be knowledgeable in the business. I have a local friend that loves the dealer in Greenfield. We all have our favorites.

As far as cycle training, I like the Air Guard at Bradley. They have use of an indoor facility to keep you out of the rain, during break time.

There will be a cycle show in Hartford at the old BJ's in January. New York is more of a class act. Metro North is my route to NYC for this weekends activity.

We are lucky in this area as we can ride year round. Did a quick run out to the UConn Dairy Bar, this afternoon. Glad the state is has stopped using sand. RT44 was just fine.

Good luck with your pending purchase.

Barnett
Thanks Barnett! On Gengras, it's good to hear positive comments too. Far too often, and I'm as guilty as the next we tend to jump all over problems and complain. When things go well, we just assume that's the way it should be and move on. So far my experience is primarily with Zach. Don did scoot by and say hello at one point diring my visit (although I didn't know who he was at the time) as did a couple of other Gengras folks. Pleasant so far...

On training, I like that idea... indoors potential that is. Providing traffic isn't bad it's about a 20 minute ride for me. I would immagine though that the classroom portion is at NW's facility, not at the airport correct?

And I did run across the Hartford show at the old BJ's. I'll probably stop in on that one sometime during the weekend. And I see Gengras is sponsering too. I wonder if they'll have BMW's well represented?

Here in Newington, at least on the side roads sand is everywhere... I'm on a bit of a hill and after weather the town likes to dump a small beach worth of sand here... makes for a painful spring cleanup on on the yard...

Thanks again!

Mark
'07 RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in