Maine minor roads and MEME Success - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 5:48 am Thread Starter

Maine minor roads and MEME Success

spinedr met the three muchachos from the deep south of Vermont on Friday evening at Sunday River, ME. Sorry others couldn't make it.

We dodged the rain successfully, and had a great day riding on Sat with Guathama leading us up, down, around, and through some spectatuclar scenery on a few of Maine's better minor roads.
Thanks Guathama!

spinedr's and my LTs were the only two at the meet that I saw, but a great group of serious motorcyclists were there to chat and kick tires with. Bikes range from old British and BMWs to modern Ducatis and Triumph Speed Triples. A few Japanese bikes and a couple of Harleys (spinedr rode his wife's new HD up on Friday night but made Saturday's ride on his LT; which he rides in a very sporting manner BTW).

Mike Stackhouse, the prime mover behind the Annual Meet of the Maine European Motorcycle Enthusiasts, assured me that there will be a 9th annual meet next year. Nice hotel accomodations, good food, and a group of serious motorcyclists, not the tattoo'd biker types. Good excuse to go for a ride, you'll like it.
Last weekend in July.... mark your calendar and get thyself to Maine next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 8:28 am
was

Thanks for the report on the meet, Curtis. Meme is on my list for 2008 as a MUST DO. You mentioned in an earlier thread that the organizer seemed to be getting burned out; I'd be glad to volunteer to help out with organizing tasks if that would be useful. Do you have his contact info?

Gauthama, I hope you will take us on another tour of the Maine backroads next year.

Jerry, I just read about your mishap with the LT. Glad that you were not seriously injured and that the bike is getting TLC. I dropped my LT for the first time two days after I bought it; the road situation was almost exactly what you described. A guy on a Honda 305 Scrambler from the '70s, who was wearing a football helmet, suddenly appeared, hopped off his bike, helped me get the LT upright, waved, and rode away. I still wonder if I hallucinated the whole scene.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:56 am

MEME Redux

Thank you for your thoughts. I am back up riding again having replaced the right side mirror and removed the airhawk seat. I sure would like to blame the seat (not). I will post it for sale on our site along with XL J.pegs(open wide). On a lighter note there is a ride out of Dover VT sponsored by the Backroads Group. The dates are Aug. 19 thru the 22nd. Sunday to Wednesday. I will be there and maybe some of you BBD's will show up.
Gray Ghost Inn West Dover VT. 1-800-7453615. Overflow hotel# 1-802-4645652 Just 300ft. down the road.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Backroads Group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalny
Thank you for your thoughts. I am back up riding again having replaced the right side mirror and removed the airhawk seat. I sure would like to blame the seat (not). I will post it for sale on our site along with XL J.pegs(open wide). On a lighter note there is a ride out of Dover VT sponsored by the Backroads Group. The dates are Aug. 19 thru the 22nd. Sunday to Wednesday. I will be there and maybe some of you BBD's will show up.
Gray Ghost Inn West Dover VT. 1-800-7453615. Overflow hotel# 1-802-4645652 Just 300ft. down the road.
I am not familiar with this group. Do you have a link to a page for them? Google got me Northeast Motorcycle tours but I don't think you are referring to that group.

I am always curious to know what routes are used for these guided rides.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jul 31st, 2007 at 6:59 pm.
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:19 pm

MEME minor Roads

Hi Curtis, Here is their web site. www.backroadsusa.com
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Ahh! Backroads Magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalny
Hi Curtis, Here is their web site. www.backroadsusa.com
Thanks Jerome!
You subscribe to BackRoads? Like it? Maybe I should start subscribing.
I am going to look at that ride and my schedule and see if I can join up for some of it.

For the rest of the gang here's a link to the BackRoads Page "We're Outta Here" about the Grey Ghost stay and ride. http://www.backroadsusa.com/home.htm...ta%20Here.html Scroll down and you'll see their route from the Delaware WaterGap to the Grey Ghost. (BBDs will remember route 8A.)

Thanks.
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:51 pm

Backroads

Curtis, I don't subscribe to the magazine. However, some members of the LIBMWRC do and they like it. I will get a subscription.
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:52 pm

JV I am glad you are better and about after your test on gravity. We had a great time at the MEME meet and the ride was the best Bill I am glad that you are back safe and will plan the next MEME next year and will have a blast!!!! We have to plan that trip to NY I think it was may be we can see if we can get a common date for the BBD's to meet. Lets brew the next meeting we can also do a tech meet or something The ride in Vermont is during the week and have to work Yesterday a friend and I went for a ride in the woods him driving a HD 07 bike and me in my LT. We had lunch and had a conversation on wearing protection like helmet, jacket, boots etc. He had a T-shirt, jeans and no helmet just a bandana in the head I do not understand why push the limits, I know about freedom and all but no protection?? I have made that mistake and have a few scars to show. Well in a curve he fell, not hard but enough for road rash in a knee and arm, OUCH. He could not mange the curve and we were going slow (45 MH), I think he got distracted in the curvis was able to slow down some. Had a little over 2000 American Pesos in damage. He is ok just sore and has ouchy road rash. I hope he gets proper gear now, I did roved the conversation we had earlier but lightly, he was in not good situation at that time. Gents have a good night I am going to bed.
Me Gauthama T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:54 am Thread Starter

NY and tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
....We have to plan that trip to NY I think it was may be we can see if we can get a common date for the BBD's to meet. Lets brew the next meeting we can also do a tech meet or something
There is nice riding in upstate NY, Catskill area is nice and there is nice riding north of there too but I don't know the roads over there much. Maybe a little research of NY motorcycle roads needs to be done. Anyone have favorite NY roads?

Here's some stuff: http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ny.html
Scenic sweepers and a few twisties to be found in the catskills.

spinedr, my offer to rewire your HID stands, just a matter of if and when you can get down here. The big question is if that ballast still works after the beating it took. Maybe we could schedule a HID repair with a NY ride. Pick a weekend and see if we can make it work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in