Meme - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Meme

Maine European Motorcycle Enthusiasts. MEME

I have posted about this meet in past years. I think I have been every year except for a couple.

This meet is right in spinedr's neck of the woods.

http://www.eurobikemaine.org/mememeet.html

I am trying to make links work to web pages without luck. From the site go to MEME Forum and then Events for more details. Thanks.

Here's a cut n' paste of the hotel info: 800.207.2365 is the reservation phone number for the resort. Group code is 84G0HH

The weekend is July 27-29.

The Jordan Grand Hotel is a very nice place to stay. Hiromi and I are headed for Nova Scotia in July but I am planning to get to the MEME meet on the way back. My suggestion is that members of the NE forum and official members of the BBD plan on getting up there. The hotel has sold out in the past so if you want to stay at the Jordan make reservations. There are campgrounds about 20 min ride away and other accomodations if you prefer.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jun 24th, 2007 at 8:02 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm
was

Thanks for the info, Curtis.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 31 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Maine European Motorcycle Enthusiasts. MEME

I have posted about this meet in past years. I think I have been every except for a couple.

This meet is right in spinedr's neck of the woods.

http://www.eurobikemaine.org/mememeet.html

The weekend is July 27-29.

http://www.eurobikemaine.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

http://www.eurobikemaine.org/cgi-bin...num=1165443653

The Jordan Grand Hotel is a very nice place to stay. Hiromi and I are headed for Nova Scotia in July but I am planning to get to the MEME meet on the way back. My suggestion is that members of the NE forum and official members of the BBD plan on getting up there. The hotel has sold out in the past so if you want to stay at the Jordan make reservations. There are campgrounds about 20 min ride away and other accomodations if you prefer.
Cool Muchacho, I am Off the 27 to Aug 5th Lets RALLY BBD's: Sounds like a good time and we can do some riding in Maine I got it set in my Calendar Can not promise spirited riding because I am still learning my State ( no Bill, it is not my state of mind, I am talking about Maine) but we can do a nice loop with beautiful views and some curvis in the mountains. Unless muchacho and Hiromi comes to Maine and helps planning the ride a weekend before the date. Hope this works out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)

post #4 of 31 Old Jun 24th, 2007, 8:22 pm

There is also less pricy Motes in Rumford, 20 miles away. Bethel is beautiful but pricy. I can try to get special rate but is not as Grand as the Jordan Grand Hotel. Let me Know

BMWMOA # 130458

post #5 of 31 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 6:36 am

Motels nearby

Hi Spinedr,
Glad to hear we may be able to meet up at MEME. BBD's onward !
If you could post a list of the motels that would be good to try for, that would be great. From there I'd be happy to help. check into rates, availability, etc. I'd be up for saving some money even if we were a little bit away from the meet. I believe the Muchacho that rooms will fill fast, so we should get right on it. That sounds like a great meet and it will work out well for me and the Captain, (and Mrs Captain) and maybe our riding companion Brian the Artist as we will be on our way back from Nova Scotia around that time - what a stroke of luck. By the way, that pressure gauge works on cars too.
post #6 of 31 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 7:30 am

Damn I have a class that weekend.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #7 of 31 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:00 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
Damn I have a class that weekend.
No problem, Jim. You are the INSTRUCTOR. Tell them the previous week that the class will be held at the MEME meet, and they are expected to be there Friday evening, riding their YamaHoKawaSuz 250s. If any of them actually arrive, take that group for a quick spin in the Maine wilderness over toward the White Mountains, and when you are waaaay up on a teeny tiny twistie, hit three curves in 3rd gear with the RPMs at about 6000 and come on back to the hotel. They should show up by Sunday evening, at which point you instruct them to ride home.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #8 of 31 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:21 am

Meme

I could be there. I have to make sure that all the planets are in their proper alignment.(SO and other responsibilities)
post #9 of 31 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:17 pm

Fyi..

I got this from Mike last week:

Folks,
We are getting down to the wire now. If you haven't made reservations for rooms OR the Saturday evening meal. You must do it in the next week or two.
One other note. This may be the last meet for a year or two as I'm not doing the job I should be getting the word out due to burn out. :P It's not because I don't enjoy the party and the company because everyone that attends has been the best and the support has been amazing. I just think I need a little break...
Hope to see all the usual suspects this year and with King Memphis playing during the show on Sunday it should be a rocking good time.
Later,
Mike (The Grand Poohbah)

I have been to 2 of these, usually it falls when I am in Dallas with my wife. They are a hoot though. This is only about an hour from me, so if I am around, I will be there.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #10 of 31 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
I got this from Mike last week:

Folks,
We are getting down to the wire now. If you haven't made reservations for rooms OR the Saturday evening meal. You must do it in the next week or two.
One other note. This may be the last meet for a year or two as I'm not doing the job I should be getting the word out due to burn out. :P It's not because I don't enjoy the party and the company because everyone that attends has been the best and the support has been amazing. I just think I need a little break...
Hope to see all the usual suspects this year and with King Memphis playing during the show on Sunday it should be a rocking good time.
Later,
Mike (The Grand Poohbah)

I have been to 2 of these, usually it falls when I am in Dallas with my wife. They are a hoot though. This is only about an hour from me, so if I am around, I will be there.
I am glad that Mark Conlogue (mconlogue) might joint us for the ride or the event. Nice to be able to meet other Mainer and go riding!!
Ok, BBD's and LT community this is the deal with the Hotel alternative. I talk to the Linnell Motel in Rumford Rte 2 (Reservations 1 800 446 9038 mention BMW group) and he is going to give us 15% discount for 9 rooms or less and if we get 10 or more would 20% discount. I told him that people might stay for one night but some would do two nights and he was ok with it. We need to know how many due to the % discount. The rooms range from $49.50 to $75.00 for the rooms. He has all kinds of different set ups like single bed, double beds, King bed, Efficiencies with kitchenette, queens etc. this price is with out the discount It is in Rumford about 15 to 20 milles away. We can meet in my house of Friday and cook some cow and go riding on Saturday and Sunday or go to the events in Bethel. Let me know the preference. We need to decide on the dinner on Saturday in the event according to Mark's comments. Sounds like this would be the year to go since it might not happened again for a while BBD's what do you think

BMWMOA # 130458

post #11 of 31 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
No problem, Jim. You are the INSTRUCTOR. Tell them the previous week that the class will be held at the MEME meet, and they are expected to be there Friday evening, riding their YamaHoKawaSuz 250s. If any of them actually arrive, take that group for a quick spin in the Maine wilderness over toward the White Mountains, and when you are waaaay up on a teeny tiny twistie, hit three curves in 3rd gear with the RPMs at about 6000 and come on back to the hotel. They should show up by Sunday evening, at which point you instruct them to ride home.
I wish it was that easy. I just got an email from the Tunxis range manager and they are in dire need of instructors. Oh well. I think a bunch of you guys should belly up and take the plunge into teaching this great sport we call riding.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #12 of 31 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:35 pm
was

No can do

Sorry, riders, I cannot make the meet. I'm getting home sometime during that week after almost a month on the road and 7200 (estimated) miles. Will have to start attending to all those things that got neglected. Have a great meet and great rides. And if you all eat as much as you did on the Vermont ride we'll have to change the name from Beemer Biker Dudes to Beemer Voracious Dudes .

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #13 of 31 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 5:57 am

sorry to hear that some of you can not make it to the rally. I do not know who can and thinking about it. We always have NY for the future with more time to plan and I am sure that we have others. So far we have Yudin, Charlie, jvalny, mconlogue and me. Hope we can do this Bill I hope you have good travelings and hope to see you in the next BBD's rally and YellowPoppy have a good time with your class and if things change we would enjoy your company.

BMWMOA # 130458

post #14 of 31 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
sorry to hear that some of you can not make it to the rally. I do not know who can and thinking about it. We always have NY for the future with more time to plan and I am sure that we have others. So far we have Yudin, Charlie, jvalny, mconlogue and me. Hope we can do this Bill I hope you have good travelings and hope to see you in the next BBD's rally and YellowPoppy have a good time with your class and if things change we would enjoy your company.

YellowPoppy! I love it. It took me a minute to figure out that you were talking about me. Very funny.

I like the NY idea. Maybe during the week of labor day. Both my wife and I are off.

Cheers,

YellowPoppy aka Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #15 of 31 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Hotel options

Thank you for working up the hotel option, nice to have choices. I have reservatons at the Jordan Grand. I think I am paying $115 per night, not cheap, but I can enjoy the party on Sat night without worrying about getting back on the bike.
Quote:
....Ok, BBD's and LT community this is the deal with the Hotel alternative. I talk to the Linnell Motel in Rumford Rte 2 (Reservations 1 800 446 9038 mention BMW group) and he is going to give us 15% discount for 9 rooms or less and if we get 10 or more would 20% discount. I told him that people might stay for one night but some would do two nights and he was ok with it. We need to know how many due to the % discount. The rooms range from $49.50 to $75.00 for the rooms. He has all kinds of different set ups like single bed, double beds, King bed, Efficiencies with kitchenette, queens etc. this price is with out the discount It is in Rumford about 15 to 20 milles away. We can meet in my house of Friday and cook some cow and go riding on Saturday and Sunday or go to the events in Bethel. Let me know the preference. We need to decide on the dinner on Saturday in the event according to Mark's comments. Sounds like this would be the year to go since it might not happened again for a while BBD's what do you think
post #16 of 31 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Charlie, I never been to that rally and do not know what do we need or not need. Do we go to the Dinner that Mark Conlogue talked about? If we are then do we need a reservation soon? If not what is the plan for dinner or we are playing by ear.

BMWMOA # 130458

post #17 of 31 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Meals and Wheels in Maine

Quote:
Charlie, I never been to that rally and do not know what do we need or not need. Do we go to the Dinner that Mark Conlogue talked about? If we are then do we need a reservation soon? If not what is the plan for dinner or we are playing by ear.
Tradition at the annual MEME meet is a Saturday night dinner. Reservations are highly recommended as it has sold out in the past. Over the years this dinner has evolved from servers bringing dinner to a buffet. Mike Stackhouse does a triva contest where he gives away prizes for correct answers.
e.g. What does "BSA" stand for? How much oil do you put in a BMW airhead final drive? What was the last year BMW made the airhead?
Win a T-shirt, a quart of oil, or some other low value prize for a correct answer.
Bar on site. Live music after dinner. A room full of Triumph, Ducati, Aprilia, BMW, Moto Guzzi, Snortin Norton, Ural, and other lesser Euro bike enthusiasts. The BBDs will probably like this group. I have already made my reservation. If you know you are gonna go, I suggest making the reservation.
You can make a reservation for just dinner or make room reservations and dinner reservations.
post #18 of 31 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Ride Guide?

Quote:
Cool Muchacho, I am Off the 27 to Aug 5th Lets RALLY BBD's: Sounds like a good time and we can do some riding in Maine I got it set in my Calendar Can not promise spirited riding because I am still learning my State ( no Bill, it is not my state of mind, I am talking about Maine) but we can do a nice loop with beautiful views and some curvis in the mountains. Unless muchacho and Hiromi comes to Maine and helps planning the ride a weekend before the date. Hope this works out
Having made my reservations (I always have reservations ) I am locked in for MEME again this year. I or we (I am hoping my first wife will come along with me) will head up on Friday morning, taking the scenic route.
I know the area in Maine and NH fairly well having ridden there on many occasions. Folks interested in joining us for the ride up or for a ride on Saturday please let me know. If the weather is good we may ride up the Mt. Washington auto road; I have done this several times but it is kind of fun, and if you haven't done it before it is one of those events that belongs in the "been there, done that" category.
And there are loops in ME and NH that are very scenic. There are twisties to be found, but mostly sweepers and more open roads.
I'm not volunteering for anything (volunteerism has its drawbacks), and I decline being captain of anything, but if folks have an interest in following us around you are welcome. Some of you have an idea of what to expect; riding two-up maybe a little more sedate.
post #19 of 31 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

About MEME

This is Mike Stackhouse's post about this year's meet copied from the MEME events forum:

"8th annual Maine European Motorcycle Meet
July 27-29 2007
Location: Jordan Grand Hotel at Sunday River Ski resort in Newry (Bethel) Maine

Folks,
Here's the low down for the 8th annual Western Maine European Motorcycle Meet. This year's event is presented by The Motorcycle Shop in Freeport, Maine. Other sponsors are lining up and I'll have them posted as soon as possible. As always, without the help of these folks I couldn't do it so please support those that help.

As we did last year, we'll be collecting a $5 entry fee for the weekend. This will go to MEME to help with future events.

The Saturday evening dinner will not be a Luau but it'll still be a hoot. Food is being voted on at this time and I'll fill you in as soon as the choice has been made. Please remember that last year WE SOLD OUT THE ROOM. Call the reservation line and make sure you have a seat for it. We have grown our little event enough that we just can't guess on the "numbers" anymore. I want to make sure everyone gets fed and has a place to sit for dinner and the trivia/ prize giveaways. We will also draw the Saturday 50/50 raffle during the festivities.

Schedule for the weekend is as follows:
Friday the 27th,
Meet and Greet 6:00pm-1:00am
Dinner Buffet 6:00pm-9:00pm
(Sandwiches available in case you miss the buffet)

Saturday the 28th,
Breakfast available upstairs and will be made to order.
Rides throughout the day including,
Vintage Tour (leaving the Jordan parking lot at noon)
Self guided Adventure Tours (maps available under the blue canopy)
Self guided Covered Bridge Tour
Self guided tours to Mt. Washington and surrounding areas
There will be no tours of the Percival BMW collection this year but The Motorcycle Shop is bringing up a collection of vintage bikes to show.
Lunch will be available at the Jordan but no Saturday BBQ this year
Vendors on display throughout the day Saturday and Sunday

Saturday Dinner and Partay! 6:00pm-9:00 please have reservations made at least two weeks before the meet.
Live entertainment, motorcycle trivia and prize giveaways 8:00pm-? (Also drawing for the Saturday 50/50)

Sunday the 29th,
Breakfast buffet in Grand Ave.7:30am-10:00am
Western Maine European and British Motorcycle Show
11:00am-1:00pm
1:30pm- Sunday 50/50 drawing, awards for best in show and drawings for all sorts of great prizes. Lots of great stuff was donated last year and I expect even more. Thanks to Great Bay Motorcycles, Street Cycles, Whitehorse Gear, Red Bull, Cagiva, Royal Enfield, Seacoast Sportcycles, and many more that donated prizes last year.
BBQ 11:30am-2:00pm

So that's about it. I will get the reservation number ASAP and post it under that heading. Any questions please feel free to call me (207-836-2208) or drop me a line [email protected]
Mike

The Reservation Number:

800.207.2365 is the reservation phone number for the resort. Our group code is 84G0HH
post #20 of 31 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

The road to Maine European Motorcyle Meet

I spent a few minutes with Trips and Streets working up my route to Maine.
I expect that Friday Departure will be around 9 AM for us. Anyone interested in joining us for the ride up, let me know.

Two files attached, the ride up on Friday, and a possible loop for Saturday; certainly open to suggestions and revision. Weather permitting we may go up the Mt. Washington Auto Road again.

Bikes so far, a K75 some of you know already, my KLT, and a kind of loud Moto Guzzi.

It would be fun to have a table of BBDs at the Sat evening meal.
Attached Files
File Type: est meme.est (7.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: est memeSat.est (7.0 KB, 37 views)
post #21 of 31 Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:53 am

Meme

OK, I could do Rumsford, Senor Spindr. It is also possible I can bring two other LT riders to this event.
post #22 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 8:56 am Thread Starter

LTs at MEME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalny
OK, I could do Rumsford, Senor Spindr. It is also possible I can bring two other LT riders to this event.
That's great! In the past there have been one or two KLTs at the Maine European Motocycle Enthusiast's Meeting. It would be fun to have a gathering of KLTs there this year.

If you can make it up here for a Friday morning departure you are invited to join us for the ride up. So far the group is my KLT, a newly aquired K1200RS and a Moto Guzzi.
post #23 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
That's great! In the past there have been one or two KLTs at the Maine European Motocycle Enthusiast's Meeting. It would be fun to have a gathering of KLTs there this year.

If you can make it up here for a Friday morning departure you are invited to join us for the ride up. So far the group is my KLT, a newly aquired K1200RS and a Moto Guzzi.
Is the K1200RS Joseph Yudin's ??? If not is he coming?
So far only Charlie, jvalny, Yudin, mconlogue (might join us) and I are in the list Plus 1 friend from Muchacho and one from Jvalny. That is possible 7 so far. Have any one heard from the other BBD's??
Charlie, sorry to ask and bother you again but for dinner only do we need reservation? and who do we call. I only ask because of your experience but if not know I can always call the MEME group for info for the people that do not stay in the hotel.

BMWMOA # 130458

post #24 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Reservations and the RS

Quote:
Is the K1200RS Joseph Yudin's ??? If not is he coming?
So far only Charlie, jvalny, Yudin, mconlogue (might join us) and I are in the list Plus 1 friend from Muchacho and one from Jvalny. That is possible 7 so far. Have any one heard from the other BBD's??
Charlie, sorry to ask and bother you again but for dinner only do we need reservation? and who do we call. I only ask because of your experience but if not know I can always call the MEME group for info for the people that do not stay in the hotel.
Yes, Joseph bought a K1200RS. He announced it here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24712

Yes, Sat dinner reservations are recommended. You can pay at the door but in past years it has sold out resulting in people being turned away. Here's the hotel reservation number: RESERVATION NUMBER (DINNER ONLY)
1-888-649-9987 X 5022
post #25 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 8:55 pm

BBD Gerard here. I am pretty sure that I will be in AZ that weekend, but if not, I'll do my best to join you guys.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #26 of 31 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 5:25 pm

Hi Charlie Muchacho and BBD's We went to Max's for my tire change and my wife looked in to a R1200R or GS for her but they did not have a lower one for her to try and were not exited on planning to get one for short people or women to try one (my Impression) should we meet In my house? in a restaurant or till saturday dinner after the ride? My wife is going to Texas that week and I will be free for fiesta Lets orginize a plan of BBD's meeting on Friday to make plans and have fun at the event and out

Greetings to Gauthama and Curtis. If we don't get together Friday either at a restaurant or someplace else. I will see you all on Saturday. I will be there with my buddy names James who rides an LT and a Triumph something or other. Will be staying in Rumford Friday and at the Resort on Saturday. Leaving Sunday morning for a scenic ride home through NH and VT. Ride Safe

Jerome hope that everyone gets together in Rumford and go riding or eat, we can meet any where you BBD's deside, my house and cook, just for beers, restaurant. Just let me know and I can plan, I am open and willing.

BMWMOA # 130458

post #27 of 31 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:45 pm

Meme

Let's see what kind of turnout we get before you commit to your house. Other than Curtis myself and you is there anybody else? Also I believe that Curtis will be coming from Canada and might not be available Friday evening.
post #28 of 31 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:08 am Thread Starter

MEME news...

it seems is now being posted in the track day thread.
So we don't get messages going in both threads for MEME updates now go to:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25227
post #29 of 31 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:34 am

Meme

Bad News. Wednesday I joined the DA club and broke a few parts. Fortunately none belonging to my body. So I will be unable to attend the rally in Maine. I do have a room reservation for Saturday evening. Pullout sofa and Murphy Bed. Also two reservations for dinner. Wether I show or not I am being charged the full amount. If interested my cell # is 516 9879667
post #30 of 31 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalny
Bad News. Wednesday I joined the DA club and broke a few parts. Fortunately none belonging to my body. So I will be unable to attend the rally in Maine. I do have a room reservation for Saturday evening. Pullout sofa and Murphy Bed. Also two reservations for dinner. Wether I show or not I am being charged the full amount. If interested my cell # is 516 9879667
Hey, Jvalny...
You just making excuses or you want to make the ride?
Hit the highway up to my place and you can have my KLT for Maine. I'll take the /6 which I was thinking of doing anyway.
Sent you a PM.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jul 26th, 2007 at 4:18 pm.
post #31 of 31 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 6:30 pm

Quick note. Muchacho you are a good Men!! Not bad for a gringo

BMWMOA # 130458

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in