Americade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Americade

Any of my fellow Notheasterners going to Americade in a few weeks ? I am going with some of my fellow riders and will be there Thursday and Friday. I went there, quite by accident, last year and had a great time. Although, since it was an unplanned stop, I didn't get to do much. Does BMW have much of a presence there from fellow riders or as a company ? I'd love to be able to talk to people who work directly for BMW. Anyway, if any one from this board is going, let me know. I'd like to meet my fellow board members !

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 8:36 pm
was

Not going, but I was looking into it a while ago. Google "Americade" to get the URL of the website. BMW is an official sponsor this year, and will have quite a presence, including demo rides on the new enduros, sponsorship of one of the cruises around the lake, guiding a group ride, doing a demo of ABS technology, and hosting a dinner. Should be lots of BMW employees there to talk to. TAke pics and report back, yes?

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:51 pm

I have been several times and I am "Americaded out". I have decided to go to the BMW RA rally in NC instead....

http://www.bmwra.org/

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

post #4 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:06 pm

I unfortunately can't make it. I've got a training class all week and then my SO is working fri & sat so I'm in charge of the house. Dang. I checked out the website and it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. Make sure you take pictures!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #5 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:18 pm

There is a remote possibility that I may be going. It will be a last minute decision if I go but I really want to go. Went last year for the first time.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #6 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2007, 9:26 pm

Americade

Americade is great. However, been there done that. I will be going to the RA rally in Asheville NC. See you'll there
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 3:32 pm

Well it looks like I'll be headed that way on Thursday if the weather is going to be half way decent and come back on Sunday morning. Father and I for sure, and 1 or 2 of his buddies possibly. Not sure where we will stay yet, but may pick up a room down closer to Albany and ride up in the mornings.

I'll be the only Beemer as pops has a V-star at the moment and I think 1 buddy has a wing and the other may have a V-star or something similar.

I'll be looking out for LT's on my journey.

If your going enjoy, I sure expect to.

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 9:57 pm

Thumbs up Americade

Hey Roy and Randy,
I'll be at Americade Thursday thru Sunday morning.
I'm looking for anyone who would like to hook-up for the
ride north Thursday morning early. check in starts at 8:0 AM.
Then on Sunday, heading south back home (near Poughkeepsie NY).
I'm going to be staying at the Tahoe resort on 9N. It's
at the north end of Canada st. where the road forks to the
right. The Tahoe is just past the next light.
It would be great to meet while were up there!
Any one who wants can call me on my cell.
Please feel free to do so 914-474-9749.
2001 Champagne K1200 LTC
post #9 of 18 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 9:55 am

White "smoke"

Yesterday I took the beast on a test ride with all my camping gear packed for the trip to Americade. After about 40 miles I noticed a large amount of white smoke from my exhaust while stoped at a light in Corfu, NY. I turned around and headed home. The bike's acceleration was very poor and the gas gage showed I was gulping tremendous amounts of gas. The temperature gage showed no unusual readings. The bike exhaust looked like an outboard motor, 2 cycle. I got home OK . I use about half a tank of gas for 55 miles. Maybe the temp sensor was stuck in a "cold Start " mode? I'll take it to Fairport dealer after Americade. Lucky I have another bike to take to Lake George. We will be there Wed to Saturday. We do some events in town ,but prefer to ride away from the action. There was an "off road event" listed in another thread , something with Max BMW. We will try to do that as well as others. It sounds like that Biltmore Rally will be the event of the year for the riders. Take care all
post #10 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 2:55 pm

I'm there

I'll be there Wed - Sun. 02 Toscana Green, "RainMan" on back above plate.

See you there.
post #11 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 5:39 am

I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya guys. Jgood sorry to hear about the misfortune with the bike. Hope it's not too serious.

Gotta go find a place to stay now....still haven't gotten around to finding lodging. Probably end up down near Albany.

BMWMOA # 131660
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:00 am

I was unable to make it up this year, but was wondering how crowded it was. Early reports say attendance and enthusiaium is dwindling. It has been reported a change of venue could be in the works. I can't see that happening as Americade brings big bucks to the area, even a small crowd is better than no event. For those that remeber the good yers, was it busy?

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 1:23 pm

It was busy..kind of

Hey John sorry you missed it, the weather from Wed thru Sun was great. It was less crowded from what I recall. 2004 was by far the most crowded year that I can remember and I started attending in 1996. Friday and Saturday night were busy but I think you had many more locals on the street. The Fort Henry Hotel had vacancy's (yes) you read that right. The problem with the Americade is that the local hotels/motels are taking advantage of the riders requesting a min or 4 nights and with prices around 180 per night. I meet folks who are staying further out and just heading to the Expo and stuff. If it's not affordable people will find other places to go.

I've been at the same place now for 5 years and the owner actually lowered my rate by 20 a night. I guess I'm lucky.

Hope to see you soon, regards to Maureen.
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 3:55 pm

Joe, thats what I heard. I haven't been there in 2 years. At my last Blue Knight meeting they mentioned the usual hotel reserved by the knights (name escapes me) had vacancies. That is very unusual, as they are always booked the year before. I usually stay at the Bolders, jsut too busy this year to make it. Hope to see you and Spiros soon for a local Jersey Ride.

post #15 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 6:26 am

Change of venue?

John,

I don't know where you are hearing this, but at the meeting Sunday, there was no indication of change. Just ways to improve for next year. My wife and I were part of the staff all week. We work for free food and lodging. Mostly just the lodging. We were put up at the new Country Inn & Suites next to the Great Escape. Sat. night we tried to get thru town, but gave up with the mile long back up. The 4 wheelers were just checking out the bikes and funny looking people causing a big back up of traffic.
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 6:38 am

I was there Thursday - Sunday and it seemed very busy to me, but I have only been last year and this. I heard someone say it was a record attendance, but don't know if that was true or not. Getting through town was slow.

We stayed in Albany as someone above mentioned the costs in Lake George were $180 and up. 50 mile ride up in the morning and back at night was no big deal as we went to ride anyhow.

The weather was awesome, the test rides made me realize I love my LT (tested FJR, ST1300, new LT, and some other off-on road BMW 650 bike).

Finally understand everyones warning about the LT brakes as mine is a 2000 and I couldn't believe how "grabby" the ones were on the new LT I rode. Seat was not comfortable at all after coming off my Corbin, but the BMW route is the best of the ones I took and the Honda route was a joke, but hey I did get a pin from them.....

BMWMOA # 131660
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:20 am

americade

I also thought that there were fewer in attendance this year. Weather was great. This is the only time I remember packing a dry tent , (covered with pollen, but dry). We went home Sat AM. Thurs my son spent the day with BMW and Max BMW, for breakfast lunch and BBQ dinner and a rodeo. ( BBQ chicken was horrible) They instructed him in off road / dirt riding, gave him a long self guided tour on his bike and gave him a demo on the new 650's. He said it was like riding on the top rung of a step ladder @ 55 MPH. BMW puts on a class show. I took the R1100R due to fuel problems with the LT.

I've now loaded the LT on a Kendon fold up trailer to take it to The BMW dealer in Fairport, NY. This is a monster of a bike to load on a trailer. Seven Tie-downs. Still under warranty thank God. JGood
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:25 am

Hi Jim and Judy, hope all is well. Good to know Americade is alive and well. I had heard from several sources, the latest from some Blue Knight members that there seemed to be a drop off in attendance. It was definately true as far a the knights go as the hotel is usually booked solid and many rooms were available this year. Other sources stated a riff between the organizers and the town, glad all is ok, I look forward to next year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in