Nova Scotia - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 12th, 2007, 3:46 am Thread Starter

Nova Scotia

Planning a trip to Nova Scotia in the first half of July. What are the "must sees", and any areas to avoid. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 12th, 2007, 6:46 am

Some good ideas here.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4349

Coming back from Frederikton, NB to Maine was lovely when we did it in the Fall a few years ago.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #3 of 8 Old May 12th, 2007, 6:58 am
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost55
Planning a trip to Nova Scotia in the first half of July. What are the "must sees", and any areas to avoid. Thanks.
Do you have specific areas of interest?

Your entry point into N.S. can be by way of the Yarmouth high speed 'CAT' Ferry. You can catch the ferry in Maine and it arrives in Yarmouth, the most western part of the province. I personally have never taken the ferry because I prefer to ride and I understand it is quite expensive. Another choice, and the one I always take is to enter into N B from Maine. I usually do that at the Calais/ St. Stephen crossing and travel through southern N B to Amherst in N S.

If you want good biking roads to ride there are many choices. I would stay off the TCH as much as possible. There are lots of "shore" roads that follow the coastline. Some of the more picturesque as you enter into N S at Amherst; The sunrise trail (#6) to the town of Pictou (Pick Toe) It is about 105 miles long and travels through a number of villages along the way. There are other coast line roads on this shore that will take you to the Cape Breton Causeway and on to Cape Breton Island.

The Cabot Trail is one of the most scenic rides you will find anywhere. My wife and I have done it many times, both clockwise and counter clockwise. There is a great debate as to which is better. I personally prefer the counter clockwise trip. The water is always on your right shoulder. On Cape Breton Island, there is also the Bras d'Or lakes (bra door). You can circumnavigate the lakes on some great biking roads. It is longer than the Cabot Trail and, in my opinion, just as good.

Coming off the island you can pick up more "shore" routes that follow the eastern shore (h'way 16 that turns into h'way 7) into the city of Halifax. From Halifax along the south western shore following h'ways 333 to Peggys Cove, 329, 324, 332, 331, and #3 to Yarmouth. If you cross by way of the Cat ferry all this can be done from there as a starting point.

If you want to continue past Yarmouth and back to Amherst that can also be done by way of the north western shore. This would take you through Digby, Annapolis Royal, Kentville, and Windsor. From windsor you can return to Halifax and take the 102 to Truro or take the Rawdon Hills route to Truro. There are a number of good biking roads through there. From Truro you can take the 104 straight back th Amherst or you can travel h'way 2 and 209 back to Amherst. This is known locally as the mini Cabot Trail.

All this is road or travel related information. If you have specific interests or preferences just let me know and I may be able to be more specific about routes or sites along the way.

We live in New Glasgow and would be more than happy to assist you in any way while you are here but we are planning a cross Canada trip (that's what Beemer riders do, they ride). We will be leaving on May 31 and will probably be in Wisconsin at the BMWMOA rally on the return by then.

Either way, enjoy your trip to our country, and be in touch if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,
Austin S.

post #4 of 8 Old May 14th, 2007, 1:58 am Thread Starter

Thanks Austin for the great reply. My brother and I have no particular interest in the area other than it is a place neither of us has been. We do plan to ride in rather than take a ferry. Thanks again for your suggestions.
post #5 of 8 Old May 14th, 2007, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost55
Thanks Austin for the great reply. My brother and I have no particular interest in the area other than it is a place neither of us has been. We do plan to ride in rather than take a ferry. Thanks again for your suggestions.
We did the Cat from Yarmouth to Bar Harbour 8 years ago. Saved alot of diving, but it was expensive then. I think it saved us at least 2 days driving from Yarmouth up and around the Bay of Fundy then down to Maine. I have spent alot of time working in Sydney Cape Breton. Cape Breton is a nice place to see. You can't miss the Cabot Trail, Either direction it has fantastic views. You need to go to Baddeck Lobster house in Baddeck. Great lobster!!!!! Also the Indian Reservation in Sydney has Great lobster, all you can eat chowder and mussels on Thursday nights (check night) (I don't remember the name of the reservation)

I wouldn't mind retiring in Cape Breton sometime.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old May 15th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
Do you have specific .....

Regards,
Austin S.
Great post.

I was thinking of taking a trip up to NS this summer and then on to PEI but I couldn't get the time... This is a ton of great information. I took a trip up to NS with my motorhome MANY years ago and felt at that time it would make a great trip on a MC..

Maybe next year..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 6:08 pm

we will be there 7/2/07 - 7/8/07

We are staying at Bras d'Or Lake campground in a cabin. My wife and I will be riding the cabot trail, and other scenic places during our stay. just ask if you want my cell to possibly hook up for ride or a meal.

Our drive days (in the Avalanche towing both bikes) will be the 2nd and the 8th of July

-M

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 10:55 am

Digs in Baddeck

You can't miss the Cabot Trail, Either direction it has fantastic views. You need to go to Baddeck Lobster house in Baddeck. Great lobster!!!!!

The Silver Dart is a good motel/resort location in Baddeck. We used it as a base for three days of touring the coast and the lakes. That approach worked well for us. Don't miss the Yellow Cello for light meals and live music. The Bell museum is a little costly but nice. Mostly, you can't go wrong.

Wayne 'Doc' Edkin, Blossvale, NY
CCR Director, (Chairman: 2014, 2015, 2017)
'16 R1200RLC, '09R1200GSw/'16 CSM Sidecar, '05 K1200LTw/'09 Hannigan Sidecar, '74 R60/6 { '99 K1200LT (traded @ 62K}.

2000 First LT Gathering at The Gondola. CCRs: 2003 Gatlinburg, 2004 Breckenridge, 2005 Jackson Hole, 2006 Braselton, 2007 Osage Beach, 2008 Midway, 2010 Killington, 2011 Boise, 2012 Duluth, 2013 Bend, 2014 Chattanooga, and finally 2015 Coeur d'Alene.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in