Scenic ride in CT. part 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Scenic ride in CT. part 2

As sugested, I took my group from LI on to 39 north and then 7 into Kent for Lunch. It was a great ride and once again, Muchas Gracias Me Amigos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 8:34 pm

And there are so many great roads not too far from kent, also in Litchfield County. I ride up there all the time...

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:14 pm

Thanks for the follow-up note. If you ever plan to do the CT shoreline East of New Haven, toward the RI state line, I have a few places, to suggest, that you might find interesting. Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 8:04 am Thread Starter

Eastern conn.

This Sat we are going to an open house (BMW DUCATI) In East Hartford Perhaps you can offer some roads from there back to Bridgeport Ferry. It starting to look like we spend more time riding in CT. instead of LI. You guys have better roads and less traffic.
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 9:44 am

Was just down to LI (Patchogue) yesterday. Man, you guys from LI must have huge forearms, I was constantly clutching, braking, clutching, braking. Went to Port Jeff for lunch and took 347 back to the Northern State. I have to say one thing, got plenty of practice stopping.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:51 pm

Gengras BMW/Ducati to Bridgeport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalny
This Sat we are going to an open house (BMW DUCATI) In East Hartford Perhaps you can offer some roads from there back to Bridgeport Ferry. It starting to look like we spend more time riding in CT. instead of LI. You guys have better roads and less traffic.
Jerome, here is my put!! From Bridgeport Harbor you can jump on 95 to New Haven and 91 to Hartford, along with the trucks. You might want to take 8 North to 15 (Merritt PKWY/Wilbur Cross PKWY) and pick up 91 in Meriden to Hartford (no trucks on the PKWY's). If you get to Gengras by 1 PM you can try to win the K1200R drawing at 2PM.

Returning to Bridgeport I can only suggest a 30 mile slower ride thru Glastonbury/Portland/Middletown/Middlefield (eat)/back to 15. So CT2 south from E.Hartford/keep left pick up 17 south thru Glastonbury/into Portland (17A by the river might be flooded, if not take it). 17 joins 66 (go right) then over the river into Middletown. Go right off of Middletown Main St to stay on 66 for a few miles West and take a left on 157 to Middlefield. You can get a light bite (or make a pit stop)at Lyman Orchards on 157 (tel 349-1793)(a farm market in Middlefield). Run 157 into 68 where you go right (West) to pick up 91 South or another 5 miles to pick up 15.

If you had more time, I'd have you pick up 77 south out of Durham down to 146. West on 146 along the shore over to Branford. The Thimble Islands out of Stony Creek is a fun boat ride when you have the time. After Branford, get to 95 and go for home. Enjoy, Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalny
How much extra time do you want to spend.. ?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:56 pm Thread Starter

To Barnett & Jack D

My group small or large will be using Barnett's route either to or from Gengras.
I will be leaving LI at 8am so the stop at Lyman Orchard would be nice for late breakfast or early lunch (brunch). With the help of you guys,I must be in the front row. JV
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2007, 8:13 pm

Definitely the most scenic way to get to the Hartford area is CT 15. From the Bridgeport Ferry to the Charter Oak Bridge on CT (just east of Hartford over the CT River) is about 1 hour. CT 15 has a 55 MPH speed limit but traffic routinely hits 65 MPH. CT 15 south of where you get on is a CT Scenic Drive.. about 35 miles. Not bad on weekends but during the week it is a nightmare.. similar to LIE without large amounts of concrete. North of CT-8 it is usually delay free, even during the week except at commute times.

If you want to go a different way back you can leave the Hartford area via I-84 westbound and catch CT-8 in Waterbury and go south to the BPT Ferry. The I-84/CT-8 intersection is about 35-40 minutes from the Ferry. About 35 minutes from Hartford. Highway riding. No easy way to leave Hartford for some rural riding without some real city traffic.

Instead of CT-8 south in Waterbury continue on I-84 to westbound exit 16 CT-188 and head south to the end. It dead ends on CT-34 at the Housatonic River. Head south and that will meet CT-8 at exit 15. Head south to Bridgeport Ferry.

CT-188 is a nice country road through some farms and small towns.

If you want more riding head north on CT-8 instead of south and catch US 6 at CT-8 exit 38 and head west. US 6 will eventually meet CT-67 head south and CT-67 will meet CT-188 and head south to the end. It dead ends on CT-34 at the Housatonic River. Head south and that will meet CT-8 at exit 15. Head south to Bridgeport Ferry.

Have fun.. not going to be a really good riding day..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in