Lane Splitting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Lane Splitting

IN NJ there is an assembly bill 3701
a legislative proposal to establish a five member Lane Splitting Task Force.
You can show your support by visiting the New Jersey State Watch area of
the Rapid Response Center at WWW.AMADirectlink.com .You can e-mail
your assembly person quickly and usually get a response .Only time will tell
if it gets voted on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:20 am
was

Good info, thanks. Now if we could get Connecticut to consider the same I wouldn't have to keep off I95.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 22 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:09 pm
Rider Journeyman

Here you go...

From http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=4389&Page=1

New Jersey
Assembly Bill 3701, introduced by Assemblywoman Alison Littell McHose (R-Sparta), would establish a Lane Splitting Task Force to focus on the policy of allowing motorcycles to ride between lanes of motor vehicle traffic during times of congestion, and to examine the advantages and drawbacks of instituting such an initiative in New Jersey. The task force would consist of five members, including representatives from: the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Rider Education of New Jersey, Commissioner of Transportation, Chief Administrator of the Motor Vehicle Commission, and State Police. In conducting its inquiry, the task force would be charged with studying lane splitting initiatives which have been adopted or considered in other states and countries and determining their effect on road congestion and traffic safety. The task force would compare these various initiatives and establish an opinion on which components would provide the most benefit with the safest implementation, if lane splitting were adopted in New Jersey. The American Motorcyclist Association and state motorcyclists' rights organizations urge all motorcyclists to contact Assemblyman John S. Wisniewski, Chair, Assembly Transportation and Public Works Committee, to request AB-3701 be brought up for consideration. You can reach his office by calling (732) 316-1885, visiting his Web site at www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/wisnew.asp to send email, or writing to The Honorable John Wisniewski, New Jersey General Assembly, 3145 Bordentown Ave., Suite B, Parlin, NJ 08859.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 1:09 pm
Rider Journeyman

I just sent the following to the NJ Chair via e-message from the link in my prior post. Feel free to copy and edit as you see fit

Dear Honorable John Wisniewski,

I am a 47 year old motorcyclist and travel extensively in the U.S., about 20,000 a year for the last three years. In California, we, those that choose to do so, are allowed to lane-share by traveling in the space between vehicles. I take advantage of this privilege as often as it is safe to do so. Failure to perform this activity in a safe manner can result in a citation for unsafe operation of the vehicle. This application of the regulations is consistently advocated by the CHP and I have frequently followed and been followed by motorcycle CHP performing lane-sharing.

I encourage you to consider supporting the allowance of lane-sharing (frequently called lane-splitting) in New Jersey for one reason and one reason only; It is safer for the motorcyclist and passenger to continue moving when traffic is stopped. If you are not a motorcyclist, then it may seem counter-intuitive, but it is a fact none the less. It would take too long to explain in this format, but I refer you to http://www.laneshare.com/ for some insights. Those motorcyclists that do not agree with me, there are some though I know of none in California, are free not to lane-share.

Sincerely,
Bill Turner

Bill "Omaha"

CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #5 of 22 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
I refer you to http://www.laneshare.com/ for some insights.
Interesting website. Did you notice the poll? 31% of those that voted are AGAINST lanesharing. What's up with that?

Regards,
-joel
post #6 of 22 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 4:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

the "laneshare" site must be getting Hacked.... timing out...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 22 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 4:38 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Interesting website. Did you notice the poll? 31% of those that voted are AGAINST lanesharing. What's up with that?

Regards,
-joel
I think our POLL our site on that. I'll be that it ends up more like 50/50.

Bill "Omaha"

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Apr 5th, 2007 at 4:52 pm.
post #8 of 22 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog

Regards,
-joel
People who have not had the priviledge of doing it in a place that accepts it, like CA or Europe will mostly have the opinion that it is very dangerous. And it would be in their area until it is done legally and accepted, which will not happen overnight even if made legal. There will be a backlash against it for some time.

It has been done so long in CA that it is quite safe, and accepted by nearly all the CA car drivers. It is the out of state cars that you have to be very careful of!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 6:54 am

I live here in NJ and have my entire life. Been driving for almost 30 years and was a LEO for 25 years. Having said that, when I take my bike out, I get as far from NJ as possible as fast as possible. I am in favor of lane splitting, however, if it becomes legal in NJ I will not lane split. The drivers here will kill you. They have no respect for motorcycles, other cars, stop signs, red lights, etc. They often pass me on the right in a single lane road, tailgating is the norm here, maybe 2'-3' from the rear end of the other vehicle. As far as the right of way...they do not yield, instead the decision is "if I go, can he maybe stop and not hit me". This is why we, by far, have the highest auto insurance in the US. Driving in NJ is a big competition like NASCAR. Road rage is the norm. In congested traffic, people will change lanes, without signaling two dozen times in 100 yards just to make it one more car length ahead. We have the "Jersey Sweep" where they change three or four lanes at a time without signaling. If lane splitting becomes legal the car drivers in NJ will be pissed that motorcycles can get ahead of them and straddle the lines or purposely run you off the road. We have police patrols set up just for aggressive drivers and aggressive patrol areas on the highways where fines are doubled because this is such a problem. Signs on the highway say to call #77 on your cell to report aggressive drivers. I wish it could be done here as in other areas, but to lane split in NJ would be suicide.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #10 of 22 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 1:31 pm
egs

Thumbs down

Have to agree with Brian on this one. Even though I'd LOVE to lane-split I'd be afraid to try it in NJ until, say, 10 years after the law is enacted. I've ridden and driven in NJ for 30+ years and many, if not most, drivers are inattentive at best and downright dangerous at worst. Road rage IS the norm with a 'don't give an inch, take no prisoners' attitude during rush hour (which happens to be the most likely time to lane-split). I ride 'scared' in traffic now, trying to stay hyper-alert to those around me. Most have long forgotten basic traffic rules, and I don't see how a new one could ever be communicated and enforced effectively.

I can easily imagine someone opening a car door or swerving into your path just to block your forward progress. If they're not going anywhere, neither are you. Courtesy and common sense just don't exist on many roads here. Wouldn't make me feel much better, laying in a hospital, knowing that the caged kamikaze who punted me off the road was 'wrong'.
post #11 of 22 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 7:41 pm

I ride or drive in NJ several times a year and I have not notice things as bad as you guys are describing. Now I HAVE seen it that bad around Chicago and that is one area I certainly would not want to ride through. I also spend a fair amount of time in Belgium for work and am VERY envious of how respectful cagers are for motorcyclists there. Of course most cagers there either are, or have been, motorcyclists. Lane splitting there can often occur at 60 - 70 mph even though they have the stay to the right rule where you can be fined for not travelling in the right hand lane when not passing.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #12 of 22 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 8:10 pm

It would be nice to have that option but I agree with Brian and Eric...

Lane splitting with cell phone tote'n, in a hurry immature 'can't drive' cage operators that think they are ricers.... is a sure ticket to an ambulance ride.. If you survive that threat and still 'lane share' to get anywhere consistently you will surly get death threats... in and around any major northeast city not only in NJ. People don't expect it and they routinely drive between states so they are not familiar with 'state' specific laws.. In California you have California operators in the majority so you have some consistency. It is not uncommon in the northeast especially around NYC to have every car around you to have a different state plate. If you are not familiar with the roads you can get caught in the wrong lanes and people do stupid things even at 5 MPH..

Any one of those people sitting for 30 min and have M/C after M/C going past them will not be healthy at the next stop.. lot's of road rage that is mostly contained.. but can get out of control very easily..

I have been stopped in heavy traffic and had M/C split up through traffic and basically surprise people... Here, in the northeast, the lanes on most roads, even interstates, barely support SUVs never mind two SUVs and a M/C... sorry but I think anyone that does 'lane sharing' in the northeast better be wearing ATGATT... and have good no fault hospitalization...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 22 Old Apr 10th, 2007, 9:18 pm
Rider Journeyman

Hmmm...

Okay, I believe you guys about the East Coast attitude of the general cage population toward potential lane sharing motorcycles....currently.

However, IF you make it legal, advertise it, put it on driver's license tests, have your LEO's on m/c's do it, encourage m/c clubs to educate about it AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, the State must prosecute anyone that attempts to hit a motorcyclist with their car for "assault with a deadly weapon", THEN it will become "accepted" by your cage operators..

Do ALL that and I'll think you'll all be able to enjoy the benefits we here in California have come to cherish and with the similar levels of safety in a year or two, maybe three.

Bill "Omaha"

post #14 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 7:25 am

The cagers don't accept the laws already on the books, i.e.: stopping at red lights, yielding the right of way, stop signs, turning left from the right hand lane, passing on the right, weaving on the highways, going 80 in a 65, etc. If you want to go to the shore on a nice Saturdey morning in the summer you would be lane splitting the entire 60 miles as that is how long the backup is every week. We have far too many people here for this. But that aside, another problem is the weather here. Unlike California, we have a winter that takes it toll on the roads. Giant, 4" deep potholes are everywhere at this time of the year, but worse, the roads develop deep grooves where the roads are joined during construction which happens to be on the center of the lanes. These make it nearly impossible to change lanes on a MC let alone ride down the center of the lanes.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

post #15 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 11:20 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
The cagers don't accept the laws already on the books, i.e.: stopping at red lights, yielding the right of way, stop signs, turning left from the right hand lane, passing on the right, weaving on the highways, going 80 in a 65, etc.
We've got that here as well. The East Coast does not have a monopoly on idiot cage operators. Or maybe they do and ours are imports
Quote:
If you want to go to the shore on a nice Saturdey morning in the summer you would be lane splitting the entire 60 miles as that is how long the backup is every week. We have far too many people here for this.
Nancy and I went to MotoGP in Laguna Seca (near Monterey) last July on the LT. The traffic was 2 lanes, bumper-to-bumper and stop-and-go for at least 20 miles. Temperatures were, and I'm not exagerating, 113 F. We, started splitting lanes and kept moving. At various points we had up to 10 m/c in a line moving "respectfully" between the cars and trucks. Not one cage or truck operator did anything negative, not even a horn honk, and a significant minority would shift over in there lane to make the gap wider for the m/c's. Considering there were around 20,000 motorcycles that attended MotoGP that day, there was plenty of opportunity for cages to get "pissy", but they didn't. Yes, I know it sounds like heaven, but this is an everyday occurance in high traffic areas.

LA freeways going to the Beach are no less congested than you describe. Lane splitting is done, however some of the beach freeways are quite old and therefore narrower than most. Few large bike will split very much or for very long stretches, it is skill that is used with much concentration. A rider must adjusts to conditions, as always.

Quote:
But that aside, another problem is the weather here. Unlike California, we have a winter that takes it toll on the roads. Giant, 4" deep potholes are everywhere at this time of the year, but worse, the roads develop deep grooves where the roads are joined during construction which happens to be on the center of the lanes. These make it nearly impossible to change lanes on a MC let alone ride down the center of the lanes.
Remember, lane-sharing is not mandatory in California, nor would it be anywhere. As with all riding, the decision to ride in a particular manner is a personal judgement. If the road "sucks" you may not do it. If the roads are too narrow, you may not do it. If the sun is in your eyes, you may not do it. It is about judgement and safety when riding.

Anecdote; One of the most difficult times I've had on the LT was in North Carolina with miles of 2 mph max stop and go traffic in the hill and sweeping ramps around Asheville. As long as my legs are my toes barely touched the ground on the inside of the turn. We were two-up and so a bit heavy, though fortunately we were not loaded (gear was at CCR). Nancy looked down the center of the lanes which were an easy 6-8 feet between cars and said "it's a shame they don't allow lane-splitting".

Extending the privilege to other states is a a way of making motorcycling safer and more enjoyable for the individual rider.

If someone doesn't want the opportunity, then that's certainly their right. However, since this is a privilege exercised voluntarily and individually, why not allow others to have the privilege and opportunity to make it easier for those that follow?

Bill "Omaha"

post #16 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:33 pm

"If someone doesn't want the opportunity, then that's certainly their right. However, since this is a privilege exercised voluntarily and individually, why not allow others to have the privilege and opportunity to make it easier for those that follow?"

As I said in my original post, I am in favor of lane splitting...I just think it is suicide here in NJ.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

post #17 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
...As I said in my original post, I am in favor of lane splitting...I just think it is suicide here in NJ.
D'OH!! Sorry bout that, I'll get off my soapbox now

Bill "Omaha"

post #18 of 22 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
MOST IMPORTANTLY, the State must prosecute anyone that attempts to hit a motorcyclist with their car for "assault with a deadly weapon",

It would be nice if states prosecuted cage driver that did hurt or kill M/C riders.. Unfortunately the guilty don't always get punished...

It would be just another irritant for cage drivers.. just like sport bike stunts.. and HD riders turning fuel into noise... in the name of 'safety'..

Don't get me wrong. If everyone did things orderly and safely that would be a great option.. especially on those 100+ days on the tarmac..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #19 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:41 am

Amen

Quote:
I live here in NJ and have my entire life. Been driving for almost 30 years and was a LEO for 25 years. Having said that, when I take my bike out, I get as far from NJ as possible as fast as possible. I am in favor of lane splitting, however, if it becomes legal in NJ I will not lane split. The drivers here will kill you. They have no respect for motorcycles, other cars, stop signs, red lights, etc. They often pass me on the right in a single lane road, tailgating is the norm here, maybe 2'-3' from the rear end of the other vehicle. As far as the right of way...they do not yield, instead the decision is "if I go, can he maybe stop and not hit me". This is why we, by far, have the highest auto insurance in the US. Driving in NJ is a big competition like NASCAR. Road rage is the norm. In congested traffic, people will change lanes, without signaling two dozen times in 100 yards just to make it one more car length ahead. We have the "Jersey Sweep" where they change three or four lanes at a time without signaling. If lane splitting becomes legal the car drivers in NJ will be pissed that motorcycles can get ahead of them and straddle the lines or purposely run you off the road. We have police patrols set up just for aggressive drivers and aggressive patrol areas on the highways where fines are doubled because this is such a problem. Signs on the highway say to call #77 on your cell to report aggressive drivers. I wish it could be done here as in other areas, but to lane split in NJ would be suicide.
I agree 100% NJ Drivers don't respect the Motorcycle.
post #20 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Went to Cali last weekend.

While in Dallas area, headed to airport, some "squids" were performing their own version of "lane splitting"... but I digress..

While in Cali, we had numerous opportunities to experience California Traffic... While we were admiring the noxious fumes, attitudes and general disrespect of "merging" vehicles, no less than 20 bikes went to the head of the line.... yup, split the lanes while we sat there....

My bride said.. "Is that legal?" I said.. "yup... and if we had ridden or rented a bike we could be sitting on the beach and you could be sipping your favorite beverages now."

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #21 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Went to Cali last weekend.
.....no less than 20 bikes went to the head of the line.... yup, split the lanes while we sat there....
Howdy Deacon,

Did you both notice how "normal" (no horn honks, yelling, etc.) it seemed as the bikes filtered through?

It would have been Heavenly (cliche' intended) to be able to be out there doing that, wouldn't it?

Bill "Omaha"

post #22 of 22 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 3:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yessiree, Billy.. Heavenly!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in