North East Tech Session 12K - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

North East Tech Session 12K

Lot's of talk earlier about tech sessions for north east. I'm definately ready for a 12K service. I would like to see a valve adjustment done, I can do pretty much anything else. I can host a session or help out with someones. I really don't want to use a dealer for something I can probably accomplish on a rainy afternoon. Any weekend is good for me.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 8:09 pm

Makes a lot of sense to do your own standard service.. not hard just takes ordinary tools, some parts and supplies. I tend to work on weekends at the last minute but I would come and help out with some advice if I'm available as I have done most of the stuff.. After I get my LT running from what I'm doing this spring I will have done all the service intervals.

I watched and participated in my first 12k at a CCR. I was a little apprehensive to start it without seeing it done. I'm just a shade tree mechanic so I haven't done anything really major on cars for decades except for the normal maintenance like brakes and oil. I always did that stuff on my bikes as well but none of them had service requirements like the LT..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 31 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

I'm the same way. I have done almost everthing that is done in a major service except the valves. I could probably do it just using the manual, but I would be alot more confident of the out come with some one looking over my shoulder who has been there before.
I can do everthing but the valves and do them with just one days notice. If I knew on a Friday night that a teacher would be available I can be ready on any Sat. A.M.

Tom

post #4 of 31 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 9:28 pm
was

Hey Tom, count me in. I won't need to work on my bike (oh, Lord, did I just jinx myself there!), but can do some wrenching. Helped out at the last CCR when Mark Neeblat led a tech session that included valves, and hope to do mine in about 2 weeks. Thanks for offering to host!

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #5 of 31 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresser98
I could probably do it just using the manual, but I would be alot more confident of the out come with some one looking over my shoulder who has been there before.
I would use the Gunsmoke website procedure. It is not a LT specific doc but same engine so the procedure is the same. It's what I printed before I did mine the first time in the garage. I haven't had to change any valve adjustments yet so I'm a virgin there..

Quote:
I can do everthing but the valves and do them with just one days notice. If I knew on a Friday night that a teacher would be available I can be ready on any Sat. A.M.
Teacher??? Hmmm.. well maybe someone that is a few more miles ahead of you..

I already know will be working the next few weekends, both Saturday and Sunday... except for Easter Sunday (so far), so If you can wait a few weeks... we can decide on a Saturday and finalize it at the last minute. Hopefully mine will be done and I will be riding by then.

Maybe even Bill will be back on the road.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 31 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:02 am

Hey guys, maybe I could drill my weep hole and replace my slave cylinder at that tech session. Bill can show me where exactly to drill that SECOND weep hole!

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #7 of 31 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Looks like we can probably get something going. Obviously this weekend is out with the holiday. I'm busy the 14th, so hows the 21st sound. I wil have everthing done except the valves & spark plugs, hopefully we can get my vavlves done & work on someone elses bike to. I have most tools & a compressor.

Tom
post #8 of 31 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:28 pm

I'm working the 14th + 15th, 21st, and was scheduled for the 28th + 29th... but that is really too far out to be solid.. and those plans have actually changed today.. However you know the first rule of customer support.. The customer is always right.. second rule is don't forget the first rule..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #9 of 31 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:57 pm
was

21st looks good for me. I'll bring along some tools too.

Hey Ray, if you want to swap out your slave cylinder we could get the tools from Jack and give it a go (assuming that it's OK with Tom ). By that time I should have figured out the best place for the 3rd drain hole and we can experiment with your bike.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #10 of 31 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Sounds like we got a plan going . If someone wants to do something like a slave cylinder swap that was mentioned that is fine with me, anything I can learn is good. Just remember all I have for a lift is a frame lift worked pretty good on Harleys have not tried it on the BMW. I think there is a pretty good chance I will need a valve adjustment. 64000 miles they always checked alright @ the dealer. So we will probably have to make a dealer run for shims and anything else needed. If we have time I wouldn't my yanking my canister.

Tom
post #11 of 31 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 6:28 pm

i gotta work..i would love to be there,,i did my canister,,easy job once you figure out how to get the trunk liner out,,,,bill should know how,,i would love to see a valve check o well next time
post #12 of 31 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Hey Ray, if you want to swap out your slave cylinder we could get the tools from Jack and give it a go (assuming that it's OK with Tom ).
Hopefully I will be done with the tools a long time by then... If I can get the slave to bleed properly and working I will put everything back together again.. My swing arm studs broke two 14 MM 6 point Craftsman sockets.. cleaned one Sears store out of loose 14 MM sockets..

And they were out last September at Kevin's tech session...

I wonder if I shouldn't use anti-seize compound when I put them back in????

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 31 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:18 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Hopefully I will be done with the tools a long time by then... If I can get the slave to bleed properly and working I will put everything back together again.. My swing arm studs broke two 14 MM 6 point Craftsman sockets.. cleaned one Sears store out of loose 14 MM sockets..

And they were out last September at Kevin's tech session...

I wonder if I shouldn't use anti-seize compound when I put them back in????
Holy cow, Jack. We better stock up on 14mm sockets. Corner the market and start charging double . How come Lenny had all the luck, his came out like they were greased.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #14 of 31 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:37 am

Seriously... do you see any downside to using anti-seize compound.. after all it is aluminum and steel just like a spark plug and a cylinder head...

I expect to be back in again doing another slave swap in a few years... on my 120K maintenance cycle.. at the latest.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #15 of 31 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Hey Jack:
When I do mine I am going to put some anti-seize on them and torque them. Then I'm going to re-check them in a week and then a month or so to make sure that they remain the way they should. It's extra work, but if it works, it's easier than the alternative. If it works on lug nuts, it should work here.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #16 of 31 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
Hey Jack:
When I do mine I am going to put some anti-seize on them and torque them. Then I'm going to re-check them in a week and then a month or so to make sure that they remain the way they should. It's extra work, but if it works, it's easier than the alternative. If it works on lug nuts, it should work here.

Ray
I'm not concerned with the extra work or the extra cost... I am just trying to avoid the panic that sets in when you can get the studs out of the swing arm.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #17 of 31 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Ok looks like some good response for the 21st. Any one needing directions can P.M. me. Let's see if we can get a list of what projects we are going to tackle. I have 2 bays so we can work on 2 bikes at a time. I should have all my 12k done except valves. Yes I picked up a gasket today.
I don't know what time is good for anyone else, but between 8 & 9 is good for me.
2 Dunkin Donuts with in a mile & good pizza place around the corner so food won't be a problem.

Tom
post #18 of 31 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 9:15 am

Quote:
Ok looks like some good response for the 21st. Any one needing directions can P.M. me. Let's see if we can get a list of what projects we are going to tackle. I have 2 bays so we can work on 2 bikes at a time. I should have all my 12k done except valves. Yes I picked up a gasket today.
I don't know what time is good for anyone else, but between 8 & 9 is good for me.
2 Dunkin Donuts with in a mile & good pizza place around the corner so food won't be a problem.

Tom
I have a new gasket in my parts shelf in case I need it but I usually reuse the old one. If it cleans well I just put the goop back on in the corners and wait for the next time. I think if you torque it back down correctly it will work multiple times. Of course, YMMV..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #19 of 31 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 5:01 pm
was

Quote:
Seriously... do you see any downside to using anti-seize compound.. after all it is aluminum and steel just like a spark plug and a cylinder head...
Jack, I read a long discussion about this on the forum, but have not been able to find it. The feeling was that one should not put anti-seize on a part unless the manual calls for it, especially if the part is to be torqued to a certain spec. The anti-seize lubricates the threads, allowing them to slide past each other more easily, so a particular torque reading means that the threads have slid father past each other than was intended and produced more internal pressure, sometimes enough to cause distortion in the parts. There was a chart that indicated, for different anti-seize products, how much to reduce (percentage wise) the original torque value if anti-seize were used. Just something to think about.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #20 of 31 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:23 pm

Well, I started to reassemble the swing arm and did not use the anti-seize compound. I did chase the stud with a metal scribe and it caught all along the thread so I assume that is why the stud is 'sticking' in the swing arm. Seemed to go on and off better using my fingers after I chased the thread...

All I need to do is replace the check valve on the end of the bleed hose. I don't know if the threads were damaged before I started.. but I could not maintain a vacuum in the slave drain with my vacuum pump and was getting too much air.. so I removed the check valve and tired again and found I had a problem with that assembly.. so I tightened it and stripped the threads.. In tightening I also ruined the check valve.. so hopefully that will be in this week and I can get this slave bleed completed...

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #21 of 31 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:49 pm
was

Quote:
All I need to do is replace the check valve on the end of the bleed hose. I don't know if the threads were damaged before I started.. but I could not maintain a vacuum in the slave drain with my vacuum pump and was getting too much air.. so I removed the check valve and tired again and found I had a problem with that assembly.. so I tightened it and stripped the threads.. In tightening I also ruined the check valve.. so hopefully that will be in this week and I can get this slave bleed completed...
I have one of the OEM bleeders if you need it. It is quite a bit shorter than the bleeder screw I got at an auto parts store and seems to fit better. Sorry about your trials with the slave bleed.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #22 of 31 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
I have one of the OEM bleeders if you need it. It is quite a bit shorter than the bleeder screw I got at an auto parts store and seems to fit better. Sorry about your trials with the slave bleed.
Actually I bought one and there was one in the bleed screw for the clutch.. I didn't look.. I just bought one.. I should have the part before the end of the week.. Learning a lot this spring..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #23 of 31 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 9:47 am
was

Quote:

Tom
Tom, I'll be there about 8:30 - 8:45. Here's a list of the tools and other stuff that I used to do my valves, all of which I can bring: Torx sockets, T30 and T40; pan to catch oil drips; rubber mallet; feeler gauges, with metric readings; 1/8" drill bit; screwdriver; 10mm socket, 17 mm socket, 19mm open end wrench; assembly lube; Permatex black gasket sealer; torque wrench that works from at least 9 Nm to 56 Nm; Scott Marburger instructions; printed form for recording valve clearance data. I think that's it.

Is anybody else planning on working on a bike on Saturday?

I'll PM you for your address and phone.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #24 of 31 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:19 am

Good Morning guys. Something came up and I won't be able to make it this tech session. Good luck with the projects.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #25 of 31 Old Apr 17th, 2007, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Hey Bill,

After all the talk we had early on this thread it looks like just my bike. Anyone needing to do any service is welcome.
As far as tools I have Torx T30 & T40 but not sockets, have pan, mallet, feeler gages, screw drivers, 10 & 17 mm sockets,19 mm open end, a recording form. My torque wrench has a low setting of 17 nm.& I don't have a 1/8 drill bit. I will pick up lube & permatex.
If nobody else is working we will probably have some riding time.

Thanks,
Tom
post #26 of 31 Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:57 am
was

Superior. I'm working feverishly to get my bike ready to ride by Saturday. I'll bring the Torx sockets (need to be able to torque the Torx - ha), torque wrench, written instructions. I've a nearly full tub of assembly lube and nearly full tube of the Permatex black, no need for you to buy that unless you want it for something else. We'll be done before lunch, even with a trip to Gengras if you need different size buckets (they do have them there). Want to run down to Cliff's for the open house? Gerard, Jim, Jack, Barnett, anyone else, want to take Cliff's by storm and eat all the hot dogs?

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #27 of 31 Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:28 am

Bill:
Might be able to make Cliff's to meet you guys depending on what time you're planning on being there. Let me know.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #28 of 31 Old Apr 18th, 2007, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Cliff's sounds good to me.
post #29 of 31 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 7:18 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
Bill:
Might be able to make Cliff's to meet you guys depending on what time you're planning on being there. Let me know.

Ray
No, No, No, Ray. Remember you are supposed to be tiling the bathroom! Don't give in to the siren song of the LT.

Actually, we can't know at this point what time we'll be there, depends on how long it takes to do Tom's valves. You want us to call you when we are ready to to set out for Cliff"s? If your wife answers the phone do you want us to pretend to be the IRS needing to have an important meeting with you in our Danbury office in about 1.5 hours?

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #30 of 31 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 7:52 am

Bill:
That sounds like a great idea. And make it sound real official! I'll PM you with my home # and I'll try to meet up with you guys. How's it going getting the bike back together?

Thanks - Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #31 of 31 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Hey guys,
Hope everyone learned something at saturdays tech session. I know I did. I want to thank everyone for their help & hope to get together for a ride someday.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in