Weep Hole Tech Session March 26 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 6:55 pm Thread Starter
was

Weep Hole Tech Session March 26

This is a general invitation to all to come to the first (I think) Northeast Tech Session of 2007. We have 3 bikes on which we are going to attend to the weep hole. My bike will be pretty much torn down to the point where we drill the hole, install a new slave cylinder, and use the modified/special socket in the process of getting the drive train back together again. Lenny and JackD will be tearing their bikes down from the get-go, so there will be lots of interesting activity. If we don't do one of the three primary bikes, RiderRay has first alternate position. We'll have coffee and donuts, we'll figure out what to do for lunch, we'll argue and yell (nah, not really), we'll lose parts and discover them again when the bikes are all together - it promises to be a good time. We're going to start at 9:30 am. PM me for the address if you'd like to attend, watch, turn a wrench, kibbitz, whatever.

It sounds like there is substantial interest in doing this procedure on quite a few other bikes, so we'll also try to set up additional tech sessions so others can learn and/or do the procedure.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:35 pm

Bill, I'll attend to turn wrenches and learn. Thanks, Barnett
post #3 of 32 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 11:38 am Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar00c
Bill, I'll attend to turn wrenches and learn. Thanks, Barnett
T'will be great to see you again, Barnett.

Bill
Guilford, CT

post #4 of 32 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 7:53 pm

My LT already has the weep hole..

So I will not be bringing my bike. I need to replace the slave as mine is already leaking.. I will not be riding till that happens as I have already pushed my luck to the limit. My intent is to borrow the tool after the session. My garage should be warm enough to start on my next free day off. After all it will be spring by then.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 32 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 8:38 pm Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
My LT already has the weep hole..

So I will not be bringing my bike. I need to replace the slave as mine is already leaking.. I will not be riding till that happens as I have already pushed my luck to the limit. My intent is to borrow the tool after the session. My garage should be warm enough to start on my next free day off. After all it will be spring by then.
Sorry, Jack, I think you told me that before . . . the dementia clearly is getting worse . . . so we'll meet at your house and drill your weep hole . . . No, just kidding, I'm not quite that bad yet. I'll come over and lend a hand getting your slave out if I can.

Hey Ray, we may be able to get to your bike after all! I think that moves Jim up to first alternate - - Jim, are you still planning on coming?

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #6 of 32 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Quote:
After all it will be spring by then.
Do mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	10525  

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 32 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 9:28 pm

Hey Guys, just a quick question, but are you really planning to do this on MONDAY 3/26 or was that a typo? I would love to join in, if for no other reason than to see if I can steal a few spare fairing bolts since you really don't need them all, but I'll be traveling for business on 3/24 - 3/30 so I can't attend. If the date gets changed to 3/31 or 4/1, I will plan to be there.
See ya all soon!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #8 of 32 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 8:33 am Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Do mean like this?
No, Steve, Spring up here means more like this the attached!

Yes, Kevin, this tech session is on Monday the 26th (bad weather date Tues. the 27th). It turned out to be the best date for three of us who planned it, although probably not the best date for folks working M-F. We'll get another one scheduled for a weekend if there is interest, but I wanted to invite everyone who is able to make it on a Monday to this one as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mud_season.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	10532  

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #9 of 32 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Man I'm glad I live down here.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 32 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 8:15 pm

I will not be able to make it for that date. Sorry.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #11 of 32 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Do mean like this?
There is buds on my trees too.. cept here they were covered by some shinny ice yesterday.... but it won't be long..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #12 of 32 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Sorry, Jack, I think you told me that before . . . the dementia clearly is getting worse . . . so we'll meet at your house and drill your weep hole . . . No, just kidding, I'm not quite that bad yet. I'll come over and lend a hand getting your slave out if I can.
I said that I would help you and Lenny do your weep hole(s).. It looks like I won't have to use a vacation day for our session with the drill.. I'll be working Saturday so Monday off is looking pretty good.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:15 am Thread Starter
was

We are good to go!

The site has been down or I would have posted this a bit earlier. We are on for tomorrow, Monday the 26th, for some drain hole drillin'. 400 Mt. Carmel Ave., Hamden, CT, starting about 9:30 a.m. Telephone 203.248-6092 or PM me if you need directions.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #14 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2007, 2:33 pm

Quick question What is a Weep Hole and why do you want to do this?? I know is to drain something. But why??? Do I need to do this??? Is it an upgrade or a fix? I have been reading your posts but can't figure it out yet.

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #15 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2007, 4:23 pm

ill be there with all the tools 930 ish
post #16 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:41 pm

I will be there also... Good thing the site came back up I didn't have a way to contact you to get your address.. I didn't write it down before... Who would have thought we would have had an outage...

I will try to be there on time but I have a conference call to take at 9:30..

so hopefully I will be there a little before..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #17 of 32 Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:25 pm Thread Starter
was

Looking forward to it, and also to a little help with a wee problem that I encountered this afternoon when trying to remove the 14mm swing-arm pivot bolts. Ray called, he's planning on coming as well.

Gauthama, good to hear from you. Several years ago people began to discover that one reason for premature clutch failure was clutch fluid (which is really DOT 4 brake fluid) getting into the clutch housing from the slave cylinder when a seal went bad. The clutch fluid would get on the clutch pads and cause them to slip. The only fix was a new clutch, which was big bucks. David Sheahey reasoned that there should be a way to drill a hole in the slave cylinder housing so that if a seal failed, the fluid would drain out of the slave cylinder housing instead of rising to a level in the housing that would allow it to get into the clutch housing. The drilling of the hole is simple, but to be able to do it David recommends removing the slave cylinder, which is not so simple. It requires the removal of the final drive and swing-arm to be able to get at the bolts that hold the slave cylinder in its housing. So this tech session is to work on removing the rear time, final drive, swing-arm, slave cylinder, in order to drill the drain hole and then replace everything that is removed.

It is intended to be preventive, it does not fix anything on a bike where the clutch fluid already has seeped into the clutch housing. Most of the people who are doing this procedure wait until the BMW warrantee runs out (drilling the hole could invalidate your warrantee). However, sad to say, some bikes with fewer than 10k miles have had clutch failure because of the slave cylinder problem. I've got 52k on my bike and have had no problem with the clutch slipping, so I'm hoping that I am doing the procedure early enough to prevent any future problems. The conventional wisdom is that it should be done on every bike at some point. If you do a search on "slave cylinder" you will get a ton of information. Kevin Cook wrote a step-by-step procedure with pictures that you can read to see what you have to look forward to .

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #18 of 32 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 3:28 pm

Hey Bill, thanks for hosting the tech session today. Even though I didn't get to do my bike, I gained a lot of useful knowledge and got to meet you, Len, Jack and Barnett. That was worth the trip in itself.

Can you direct me to Kevin Cook's instructions that you had today? They are great! I searched but can't find them. Also, is there a template for the 30MM socket that needs the cutout? I have a friend that can probably make one for me.

Thanks again, Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #19 of 32 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 6:31 pm

nice to meet you also ray,,,,stay dry?
post #20 of 32 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 7:17 pm

Same here guys, I enjoyed the day completely... even if we couldn't find the tools when we put them down.

Too bad you didn't stay on Ray.

Great to hear those LT sounds.. Robins and a few LTs .. It must be spring.

At least we got one done. Bill, How did you make out getting something to use to get that stud out of the swingarm?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #21 of 32 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:47 pm

Thanks Bill, I saved that info in my BMW info folder for future reference
Sounds like a good procedure for after warranty, as you say and will waite for that time. One of this days I will try to go to one of your tech times just to learn. Thanks for the info. If you read this check the Mainers site for plans in June riding in Vermont. I think we have a date and Rider Ray if you read this, I hope you can make it.

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #22 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 8:16 am

Yeah, Lenny, it was a good ride home so I took a longer route. As usual, the weather channel was wrong. Glad you got your bike done. Are you going to replace the slave any time soon? If so, maybe I'll grab one for my bike and we can do it together. I decided that for $80 or so, I might as well do it while I have it apart.

Bill:
Did you see my previous post? Can you point me to the directions you had from Kevin yesterday? I searched but couldn't find them.

Gauthama:
I'll know this week if I can make it. I'm certainly going to try.

Thanks - Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #23 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 8:28 am

i probley wont do it any time soon...but if you need a hand let me know
post #24 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:24 am

Thanks for the kinds words guys.

Here is a link to the original thread with the procedure:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14595

I'm planning on updating it a little this Spring when I pull my bike apart to replace the clutch line. Nothing major to change just some recommendations for replacing the trans. input seal as a preventative thing, inspect the clutch line, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #25 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 2:00 pm Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Same here guys, I enjoyed the day completely... even if we couldn't find the tools when we put them down.

Too bad you didn't stay on Ray.

Great to hear those LT sounds.. Robins and a few LTs .. It must be spring.

At least we got one done. Bill, How did you make out getting something to use to get that stud out of the swingarm?
+1 for all that. I just put a rather longish post on the LT main forum about my adventures. Briefly, got the biggest easy-out I've ever seen (#5, goes in a 17/64 drilled hole), spent at least 3 hours drilling (with progressively bigger bits) to get a deep 17/64 hole, installed the easy out, and snapped it off like it was a matchstick. THAT was a bad moment. Looked thru the MSC Big Book until 12:30, trying to find something that would work. Awake most of the night. This morning I noticed that the extension behind the hex bolt head has a slight taper to it. After looking at a couple of sockets I took a 5/8" impact socket and started to bang it onto the extension. The taper gave it some purchase and kept it centered. I heated and banged, banged and heated the socket over and over. Finally, when it seemed like it no longer was moving at all, I put on the 1/2" drive breaker bar, the 4 ft. cheater, eased on the torque, and the pivot loosened right up and screwed out. No sign of lock-tite. I'm a happy man. I'll have to order another pivot from BMW, but now I'm able to move on. After my nap. )

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #26 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 3:52 pm

wow cool. i was going to stop by this morning on my way back from DMV but i wasnt in a very good mood ,,,but thats another post
post #27 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 5:18 pm Thread Starter
was

Pivot bolts are $42.00 at A&S. Not bad at all considering the machine work that was done during manufacture. Should be here sometime next week, but I'm not in a hurry, I want to get into the final drive to see what I can see.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #28 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:39 pm

Outstanding...

I wonder if we should be using anti-seize compound because of the aluminum casting and steel pivot pin?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #29 of 32 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:22 pm

Glad to hear you finally got the swing arm pivot pin out, with out messing up the swing arm. Are you planing to change out the 19 ball bearing in the rear. Remember I did mine last June before the original bearing acted up. I am now running the 17 ball. I used the local transmission shop to press the original bearing off the hub. Feel free to ask questions. Thanks again for your hospitality. Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #30 of 32 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 9:04 am

Bill:
Excellent news! You get the award for persistence. I would have been to the point of considering some strategically placed C4 Thanks again for hosting the tech session.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #31 of 32 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:15 pm Thread Starter
was

Quote:
:
I wonder if we should be using anti-seize compound because of the aluminum casting and steel pivot pin?
Jack, I wondered the same thing and took a closer look. All of the fittings on both sides of the bike screw into a sleeve with internal steel threads that somehow is incorporated into the aluminum housing. Sort of like a manufactured helicoil. I can't figure out how the sleeve is held in place.

Barnett, when I get a chance I'm going to break down the final drive and try to inspect the bearing. I probably will replace it no matter how it looks and will give you a holler for advice when I do.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #32 of 32 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
Thanks for the kinds words guys.

Here is a link to the original thread with the procedure:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14595

I'm planning on updating it a little this Spring when I pull my bike apart to replace the clutch line. Nothing major to change just some recommendations for replacing the trans. input seal as a preventative thing, inspect the clutch line, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin, I ordered a clutch line because I thought it was rusty... When I took everything apart I found that it was only rust stained. In moving the line around I noticed a drop of water.. (My LT has been in the garage since late November)..

The source of the water is the protective cover over the line. I do lots of bad weather riding.. It seems that water was forced into the protective cover under the steering head and it filled the cover along the clutch slave line. Because the cover is tight at the slave end the inside was filled with water. I guess some leaked and stained the line.. there was similar stains around the end of the banjo connector and the slave.

I removed the tight fit on the slave end and it drained.. The line seemed OK and because it is really buried into the frame... I decided that I would not replace it and expose myself to a poor seal. So if you want that line and haven't ordered one yet I will send you mine just in case you want to replace it after you get in there.. If you don't use it just send it back.. It's quite expensive.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in