What do you think of the Goldwing? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 10:54 am Thread Starter

What do you think of the Goldwing?

Hi-

I saw Vic over the weekend who is now a proud owner of a Goldwing !!! ( Go Vic! )

I was really intrigued with the bike and given the pricey maintenance of our beloved machine, I am not sure if I should take the plunge.

What does everyone think?

I definitely do not ride by scraping the pegs, so since I never rode anything else other than a K1200LT I am not sure.

What is the consensus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 2:23 pm

I think that since I just retired last year,

I'm not old enough to own a Goldwing,
ask me again in about twenty years

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:24 am

Goldwing?

Last spring, I was in the market for a new bike since a truck took out my Electra Glide (with me on it!) and while at Americaide, I narrowed it down to the LT or the Wing. I rode both of them....thought about it for a day...rode them both again....and ended up even more confused over which I wanted.

The LT and Wing both have great features. Problem is, they're not the same features. If you could take the electric windshield off the LT and put in on the Wing...or take the maintainance schedule from the wing and apply it to the LT....

The deciding factor for me ended up being in the right place at the right time. We got home from Americaide and the '99 LT that was at the dealer (sold) was still there. The deal fell through. I road it, and wrote the check after the test ride.

Bottom line...I don't know what to tell you. They both have their strong points as well as their weaknesses. As long as it has 2 or 3 wheels...you can't go wrong.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553

post #4 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:35 am

i rode an older 1200 wing for years. talk about bulletproof, that thing was solid and fun. the new 1800s are huge.

i've heard them called "Hondasaurus-es."

when i wen looking, the LT seemed sportier and more nimble at speed. The new Wing is still on my wish list, but as previous poster implied... i'm still feeling sporty... check back in a few years if i've gotten this out of my system.
post #5 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input. As of this minute, I have not ridden the wing as of yet, so I am not even sure of what I am going to feel.

I waited a year after the MSF course to settle on the LT ( being it was my 1st bike ) and 3 LT's after, I am wondering on the wing. As time goes by and riding styles change, I find myself wondering ...

I will have to go out and test it before I can make any decisions. As you said, both bikes are top notch machines and could not go wrong. I am not handy, so I do not feel like spending a lot of money for service/repairs especially when I need to purchase a house in the very near future.

I know myself, it will probably take me another year before I can decide exactly which bike to move on to. No rush decisions or impulsive buy for me.

Thanks,
Spiros

01 LTC ( Silver ) Deceased .... Tow truck hood ornament
03 LTE ( Champagne ) Rider decision to be traded in.
05 LTE ( Blue ) Current delight!
post #6 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 7:15 pm

When I was looking I was told one thing that really stuck in my head - "you ride on an LT and in a Wing". After sitting on the Wing I really knew what it meant. It didn't really feel like a motorcycle to me...

Honda sales people were jerks to me anyways so they blew the sale before I decided I dind't like it.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1201ltc
Hi-

I saw Vic over the weekend who is now a proud owner of a Goldwing !!! ( Go Vic! )

I was really intrigued with the bike and given the pricey maintenance of our beloved machine, I am not sure if I should take the plunge.

I definitely do not ride by scraping the pegs, so since I never rode anything else other than a K1200LT I am not sure.

What is the consensus?

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #7 of 22 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:43 am

Took a year to decide on the LT over the GL1800. And was sad to give up my old wing. But I like Hans's answer. I am not old enough to have wing ... or LT. But they are both great bikes.

Standard equipment, gas mileage, and high speed handling sold me on the LT.

Gave up storage space, low speed handling, and torque (lots of torque).

I had a spreadsheet with about 30 other things on it, but those were the biggies for me.

Costs were about the same when it all works out.
post #8 of 22 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 6:41 am

I have to agree with the riding on vs. riding in analogy. The LT, IMHO, is really a more fun bike. I guess you could call it a ROF's (Retired Old Fart's) sport bike as compared to the Wing. Plus, I personally hate the back of the Wing. It looks lkie somebody drove a Yugo on top of the side cases. Too much mass and those lights..........

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #9 of 22 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:22 am

Garage
If I've said it once, I've saod 600 times- the LT is the better ride but the dealer support from Honda and/or Harley are lightyears ahead of BMWs. Think about your last LD ride. How many HD dealers did you see? How many Honda motorcycle dealers? How many BMW motorcycle dealers?

That is the only knock I have on my bike. I love it but the lack of dealers is scary. I dread being stuck somewhere far from home because my bike died and the nearest dealer is 100+ miles away.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #10 of 22 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:51 am

My experience with Honda in general has been that the machines almost never have a major mechanical problem. However, they do nickel and dime you to death with stupid little things (think shift linkage on LT). I've had about 15 hondas over the years, streetbikes & dirtbikes.
The dealer support I've experienced in the past is about the same or a little better from Honda than BMW overall, meaning I've had some great experiences and I've had some really aggravating ones too. The best thing for Honda in regards to the dealer experience is that there is one on every corner. The other nice thing is that most all of the Japanese dealers can order parts for each other and do most work on them all, so you could theoretically pull into a Suzuki dealer and make an emergency repair there. Of course the HD has that area covered in spades too.
I sat on a Goldwing before buying the LT and for me, the fit is not comfortable, otherwise I most likely would have gone with the Goldwing for the confidence in the major mechanical reliability and the dealer network available.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #11 of 22 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

Still without experiencing sitting or driving a wing yet, I know that the driver seat is not going to be very comfortable to me.

I like to tippy toe on the LT ( I have the seat at highest position, spring preload at hardest, a 4 inch gel pad on the seat and a 5 inch hard pillow on top of the gel pad. I really tippy toe. Anything other than that, and I feel that there is a problem.

But, I am not trying to be negative, LOL!
post #12 of 22 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 3:49 pm

After reading so many pros and cons above, I would go for a try if I were you.

MSS
'10 R 1200 GS
'06 K 1200 LT
'03 F 650 CS
BMW MOA # 127729
IBA SS1K x5
post #13 of 22 Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:11 am

Yeah, it doesn't sound like you're going to like the wing if you need to be up that high
Do you have trouble with the high center of gravity on the LT? I'm about 6' - 6'1" and the height is just about right with my Kontour on there, but the weight of the bike always feels like it's too high, being a little more flat-footed would give a little more leverage I would think...
Let us know what you think when you try one out.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #14 of 22 Old Mar 4th, 2007, 9:49 am

My brother has the Wing and I have the LT.
Over dinner two years ago we were discussing the GW and I told him "If you buy one, I'll buy one". Two weeks later he had a brand new $22K GW in the garage! Living up to my word, I went and looked at them and decided it wasn't for me. I went to look at the LT, rode one, and a week later had a brand new (leftover) LT in my garage for considerably less than he paid for the GW!

He and his wife are "bigger" than my wife and I and the GW fits them better than the LT would. I haven't ridden it yet, but it seems to have plenty of giddyup and he hasn't had to replace the slave cylinder/clutch yet(he reminds me every time we go out!)

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #15 of 22 Old Mar 4th, 2007, 1:14 pm

My dad has a Goldwing and its a very nice bike. As far as Touring is concerned, the LT and Goldwing are definitely the two top dogs in the bunch. After riding my dads bike a few times, i think the main difference is the usage.

If you want a bike that you can tour on and commute daily, i think the Goldwing would be a much better bike. It has a much lower center of gravity which is nice in high traffic situations and parking lot type maneuvers.

If you want a bike that you can tour on and get a little sporty performance out of, then the best bike is the LT. when it comes to mountain riding id take the LT over the 'Wing any day. The BMW just lends itself to hard riding a little better than the Goldwing does.
post #16 of 22 Old Mar 4th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Test Ride at Americade

Hey Spiros,
Want to ride up the Americade this year and test drive a wing?
I've never ridden one either.
Thanks

Quote:
Hi-

What is the consensus?
post #17 of 22 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Charlie-

Sure. Let me see what I can do for that weekend.
post #18 of 22 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 7:24 pm

Which one?

Spiros, I came very close to getting the Wing, but decided to go back to H-D. If I got the WING it would have to be the LOADED one with ABS, AIR BAG and GPS, it was just too much $$$. I left H-D in 2002 for the LT because they (H-D) got too full of themselves price wise. Well, 2007 it is a different world and they gave me a good deal, so I went back to the Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Peace Officer Special Edition. I did wish BMW had their act together and had the new LT ready, but such was not the case.

In my opinion, the only motorcycles out there that do 2 up well are the K1200LT, GL1800 WING and the H-D Electra Glide. Each are different, but all get the job done. Keep in touch and let us know what you decide.

John

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #19 of 22 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:06 pm

John, how about taking that HD on a nice long run like...CCR? Looking forward to it. I had the same dilemma, but the LT won out with its sport looks and ride.

Hector
post #20 of 22 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:37 pm

Test drive one!

My other half was firm in her decision for the LT after a test drive. My favorite aspects of the Gold were:
1. better speakers
2. 5 yr warranty
3. air bag (i could of used one once.)
4. low end torque

i didn't like:
1. windshield (non-electric)
2. ergonomics
3. layout
4. build quality felt cheap
5. gas mileage in the 30's compared to bmw in the 40's-50's
6. passenger comfort was better on the LT

bmw likes (over the gold)
1. windshield (electric)
2. centerstand
3. better ergos (fit for me and the lady)
4. nice build quality
5. ride quality
6. it's a beamer baby!!

bmw weaknesses in comparison:
1. low end power 2 up on inclines isn't stellar but you figure it out
2. 3 versus 5 yr warranty (minor)
3. again, speakers are okay but don't wow me
4. stock saddle for rider pre 07' not great for super long rides, eventually look for replacement, or wear biker shorts like me

Overall I realy liked the LT because of its fit and ride. The abiity to change the windshild position on the fly should be standard for everyone and it's awesome! I love the hydrolic centerstand. I am 6'2, 225 and the LT never feels like it's out of control or too heavy for me, I love it. See what feels right for you and your tastes and run with it. I think the windshield on long rides is a winner. Good luck.
post #21 of 22 Old Mar 29th, 2007, 3:28 pm

Ride what you like

Spiro,

You have one LT hood ornament, and you’re riding a fairly new LT? You should ride what you like, take the wind for a spin…more that a few hours, then decide.
post #22 of 22 Old Mar 29th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Hi-

What is the consensus?
The bikes are very similar but not the bikers cultures. For some reason, I always like BMW community better.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in