Tech session series for the Northeast? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:18 am Thread Starter
was

Tech session series for the Northeast?

If anyone else is interested, I'm willing to try to organize (not host, just organize) a series of tech sessions, each devoted to a different maintenance or upgrade task. Without having thought this thru, I would start by suggesting:

1) 6K, 12K, and Yearly maintenance
2) HID or other lighting install
3) Shock install
4) Slave cylinder weep hole drilling
5) Cannisterectomy
6) Front and/or Rear tire install

Feel free to add additional tasks. My thought is that once we have a list of tasks in which at least 3 or 4 people are interested we could schedule them well in advance, making it more likely that everyone who wants to could attend. Then establish different threads for each task so folks could consult with each other ahead of time, arrange to get all the special tools necessary, decide who will host the session, order any needed parts in advance, and go do it. However, I realize that my obsessive/compulsive nature may be making this way more complicated that it needs to be, so feel free to say Nah, we're better off just doing this casually as the need arises.

Any interest?

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:06 pm

How about...
  • brake pads
  • rear rotor

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 27 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 8:52 pm

Love to go to any tech session, I am in the north east but all the way to Maine. I am a new owner and know nothing about motorcycle maintenance but oil changes. If any tech session with in driving distance and if the group dose not mind a novice then I am in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)

post #4 of 27 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 9:26 am

Tech session

Okay, I'll host.
Sometime in the next few weeks/months I am going to install a set of Ohlins, drill a weep hole, and do a bunch of service items. I'll be leaving the bike on a lift for many days. No reason why we can't schedule a day or two dedicated to specific tasks if fellow northeasterners are interested in attending.
I guess most folks would be looking for a weekend which would work fine with me.
Sometime in March would be good.
I am located in West Brattleboro, VT just a few minutes from Exit 2 I-91.
post #5 of 27 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:40 am Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
Love to go to any tech session, I am in the north east but all the way to Maine. I am a new owner and know nothing about motorcycle maintenance but oil changes. If any tech session with in driving distance and if the group dose not mind a novice then I am in it.
Hi Gauthama, and welcome to the wonderful world of LT wrenching. Most of us started out exactly where you are now in terms of experience, and learned by reading the posts of those who went before us and, even better, attending tech sessions. The people on this forum are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, and I've never met a forum member who took a superior attitude because he or she had more experience. So by all means, come to every tech session you can get to. If you put out the word about a long ride back home I would not be at all surprised if you got offers to put you up for the night. Looking forward to meeting you.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #6 of 27 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Hi Gauthama, and welcome to the wonderful world of LT wrenching. Most of us started out exactly where you are now in terms of experience, and learned by reading the posts of those who went before us and, even better, attending tech sessions. The people on this forum are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, and I've never met a forum member who took a superior attitude because he or she had more experience. So by all means, come to every tech session you can get to. If you put out the word about a long ride back home I would not be at all surprised if you got offers to put you up for the night. Looking forward to meeting you.
Thank you Bill, I have been reading the posts from this site to the point that my wife ask if I was addicted to this site and she was concerned I will be monitoring this area for any organize tech sessions and if I have to drive; well I have to drive my Nimbus 2007, I have a question for you bill. whats up with the name Buddah Bike You know this is funny because Buddha’s name was Gauthama. Did you know that I am looking forward to meet you also. Thanks

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #7 of 27 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Welcome.... I bet everyone's first task was an oil change... !

The more you do the more you can do...

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 7:09 am

I'm interested in the weep hole. Have only done the oil/transmission/rear drive service so far. Haven't even had the tupperware off yet.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #9 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 7:21 am

I would love to take part in any tech sessions planned.
Unfortunately, I don't have the garage space or the tools/equipment to host, but I'll help out anyway that I can... I'm really good at running out for pizza .
I'll keep an eye on this thread. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #10 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 7:57 am Thread Starter
was

Quote:
I have a question for you bill. whats up with the name Buddah Bike You know this is funny because Buddha’s name was Gauthama.
Yes, when I looked up your personal profile I was amused to find that you had the same name as my bike's namesake. I have a great regard for the Buddah, and mean no disrespect. It's just that the closest I'll ever come to Nirvana is when I'm riding the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
I'm interested in the weep hole. Have only done the oil/transmission/rear drive service so far. Haven't even had the tupperware off yet.
Hey Ray, we're planning to do two or three of them (Jack, still not sure if you want to do yours) at my house on March 26, if you want to watch. If you come down on Sunday I'd be glad to put you up overnight.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #11 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
(Jack, still not sure if you want to do yours)
My weep hole is already done...

Unfortunately mine is leaking... I need to do the slave.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #12 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:53 pm

I would love to host a Cannisterectomy session. I have NO real experience in doing this stuff. I do have a small garage with limited tools. I will need my 12k by mid summer too is my guess. What kind of time frame are we looking at for these sessions?
post #13 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 4:03 pm

canister removal takes 20 min.s....take a ride over we could do that in my garage
post #14 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 9:03 am

Hey Bill,
If the weather is good, I may just ride over Monday morning. According to Mapquest, you're only about 50 miles from me. If there's time, I wouldn't mind doing mine while I'm there, but if not, I can just observe and lend a hand. Always like to learn on somebody else's bike! Thanks for the offer to put me up.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #15 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:44 am

My garage is always open

You know as long as I am around we can do Techs here. Two car garage with most tools, still need a compressor though.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #16 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
My weep hole is already done...

Unfortunately mine is leaking... I need to do the slave.
Sounds like a whole wekend proiject to me. Mine went on my 05 on the way to The moa rally in VT this past year. Max BMW trailered the bike back to NH and fixed it for me.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #17 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 4:53 pm

tech session series for the northeast

I would like to attend any weekend tech session. I can also host 2 car garage with the compressor, but no lift except for a frame lift I used to use on Harleys. I am due for a 12K but can wait for warmer weather. Also need to hard wire GPS probably to map light.

Tom
post #18 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:48 pm Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresser98
I would like to attend any weekend tech session. I can also host 2 car garage with the compressor, but no lift except for a frame lift I used to use on Harleys. I am due for a 12K but can wait for warmer weather. Also need to hard wire GPS probably to map light.

Tom
Hey Tom, good to hear from you. You and your lovely wife ran the Toy Run with me and Jim and about 65 HDs back in the late fall. Listen, if you're gonna do a 12K you will want to pull the fuel tank, which then will give you a beautiful route to direct wire your GPS to the battery and not have wires snaking up your dash into the map light lens (unless you're attaching the GPS to a mount over the dashboard, in which case it wouldn't matter). I'll try to make it to any tech session where you're gonna do that wiring and see if I can lend a hand.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #19 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 8:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
Sounds like a whole wekend proiject to me. Mine went on my 05 on the way to The moa rally in VT this past year. Max BMW trailered the bike back to NH and fixed it for me.
This task will probably be part of a few days of doing stuff as I need a 12K and a yearly that will be all fluids. Last year I put off some of the yearly fluid change as I did the last yearly late in the previous season.

It takes me a long time to do most of these things.. I kind of like dinking with the bike so it drags out somehow.

Probably should be about two or three hours to do the job, if it was the only task I was going to do. When I had the weep hole drilled at Kevin Cook's tech session in late September we started my LT when I got there just before noon and were done in just a little over two hours. It was just over a 500 mile round trip for me to get to Kevin's house.

I really pushed my luck last year because I had done the weep hole. I half expected I would loose the clutch but the weather was so good for so long and my parts were back ordered... so I let it slide. My actuator rod and the felt pad were already damp with fluid when the weep hole was done..

I rode the bike probably a couple of thousand miles after the weep hole was drilled. I will be interested to see if how well the hole preformed and if my felt pad is wet again.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #20 of 27 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 5:25 pm

Hey Bill,
Whats up. The toy run was a good time inspite of the weather. I am mounting the GPS over the dash so I figure the map light is the way to go. I will probably try to do it next weekend if I can get time. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also I am thinking about installing an auxillary fuse box to take all the lines off the battery. If you or anyone else is available next weekend any help freezing in the garage would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
post #21 of 27 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 11:43 am Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresser98
I am mounting the GPS over the dash so I figure the map light is the way to go. I will probably try to do it next weekend if I can get time. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also I am thinking about installing an auxillary fuse box to take all the lines off the battery. If you or anyone else is available next weekend any help freezing in the garage would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
Sorry, Tom, I'm tied up most of next weekend, but it sounds like you got it figured out. Good luck with the project.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #22 of 27 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 5:41 pm

Hey Tom,

How are things? What mount are you using for the GPS? I bought the BMR shelf and love it. Cake to put in too. Comes with everything you need to mount it. Pull the wind screen, dash cover and install. I tapped off the light for power. If I am around next weekend maybe I can swing by, if you would like some moral support.

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #23 of 27 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 7:33 pm

Hi Jim,
I definately would like some support. I am planning to do the install Saturday after work. I get out @ 10:00 A.M. I am using the BMR shelf also. Installing that should be no problem, but the electrical is another problem. I would take any words of wisdom anyone has in this area. Jim hope to see you Saturday.

Thanks
Tom
post #24 of 27 Old Feb 26th, 2007, 9:21 pm

I have to be in South Windsor @11 to look at some LAbs. That will probably take at least on hour so I do not see myself getting to Meriden until 1 pm. Is that ok?

PM me with your address.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #25 of 27 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 3:29 pm

JIM,
1:00 would be perfect. it would give me time to get the shelf mounted then i'll be ready for electrical help.

Tom
post #26 of 27 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Jim, I have to go to Marsh on Saturday to buy a helmet. Want to check out Guzzi's together?
Around 10 - 11AM

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #27 of 27 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 3:05 pm

Would love to but I can't we are going up to S Windsor to look at a few dogs. Amy and I are looking at adopting another lab. Give me a call tonight(Thursday) around 7 so we can discuss Friday night. I am traveling so i will not be home before then.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in