Americade Rally - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Americade Rally

Hello everyone, I need advice and or help regarding a trip we are planning in June to the Americade Rally in upstate NY. We want to check out the rally but our main objective is to do some serious riding to check out Vermont.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to lodging and good touring routes. Sincerly Longbow196
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 8:26 pm

You can take 149 out of Lake George into route 4 into route 100 north. Route 100 has some of the prettiest riding you will find in Vermont.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 9:51 pm
was

Ray's route suggestion is good. If you have more time and are OK for a longer trip, I'd suggest taking 9N out of Lake George (scenic route) to 17 west (scenic route) to 7 south (scenic route) to 30 south (scenic route). I'd run 30 down to Manchester Center, and pick up 11 west (scenic route) to Chester. Then 103 north (scenic road) to the junction with 100 north (scenic route). Take 100 to 107 to 14. Head north on 14 (s.r.) all the way to the junction with 100 between Westfield and Newport. You're only about 5 miles from the border with Canada at this point. Head south on 100 and just stay with it until you're almost to Mass. You then can take 9 east to Brattleboro and 9 west to Bennington. That will give you a pretty good sense of the state. Good luck with your planning and your trip.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 7:39 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Ray's route suggestion is good. If you have more time and are OK for a longer trip, I'd suggest taking 9N out of Lake George (scenic route) to 17 west (scenic route) to 7 south (scenic route) to 30 south (scenic route). I'd run 30 down to Manchester Center, and pick up 11 west (scenic route) to Chester. Then 103 north (scenic road) to the junction with 100 north (scenic route). Take 100 to 107 to 14. Head north on 14 (s.r.) all the way to the junction with 100 between Westfield and Newport. You're only about 5 miles from the border with Canada at this point. Head south on 100 and just stay with it until you're almost to Mass. You then can take 9 east to Brattleboro and 9 west to Bennington. That will give you a pretty good sense of the state. Good luck with your planning and your trip.

+1 This is a great route!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:20 am

Be sure to check out the Burlington, VT lakefront. Lots of shops and restaurants. Good nightlife too. All this surrounded by terrific riding.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 4:44 pm

If you need service on the bike while in vermont for any reason ,Frank's motorcycle
sales and service a BMW dealer. route 15 essex center about 7 miles outside burlington,excellent service
post #7 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 9:09 am

Americade

I plan on getting to Lake George a week prior to Americade and do some riding before the rally. I don't have any specific route in mind, although there are a few places that I do want to see. Whiteface Mountian and the Ben and Jerry's ice cream plant being a couple of them.

I read an article in the January issue of American Motorcyclist about Wandering the Adirondacks. The rider had no specific route, just turned down side roads on a whim to see what was there. That sounds like a good time. Ya end up where ya end up.

Of course, I do have a couple of day rides in mind. I have never been to New Hampshire or Main, so I may take a couple of days and add those states to my list of destinations.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:34 am

Excellent suggestion Bill. I love Vermont and there are just so many good roads to take that it's hard to choose. I never tire of riding up there.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 6:31 pm

Adirondacks: From Lk George take 9 north to Rt 73 Keene, Keene Valley, Mt. Van Hovenburg (bobsled track) to Lake Placid; Rt 86 over to Whiteface and Jay; 9N to Keesville - 373 to Port Kent Ferry to Vermont. NH Laconia weekend is following Americade if you love traffic and HDs. Otherwise ride to Franconia Notch and the Vt. Mts.

See you there!!!

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
I read an article in the January issue of American Motorcyclist about Wandering the Adirondacks. The rider had no specific route, just turned down side roads on a whim to see what was there. That sounds like a good time. Ya end up where ya end up.
I see your used to the cold and snow being from Michigan. That time of the year, the last week in May, can be very warm or cold, damp and rainy.. It is usually pretty good most times but some years it can be a total washout.

It's a relatively easy ride to the Olympic Village in Lake Placid and through the Adirondacks. Not sure how much snow might still be there in late May or how much runoff.. With Lake Ontario not freezing early on due to the unseasonable and mild late fall/early winter some of the areas have been hit pretty hard by snow.. The Lake effect snow guns are working overtime.. on the western side of the Adirondacks in Owego county they already have 140" of snow.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 7:36 pm

If you're going to be in the area a full week before, you might want to hook up with the ST1100 gang at http://vic.norton.name/moto/nestoc. Although it started out as an ST1100 group, its no longer exclusively that anymore. You won't be the only BMW. Its the weekend before Americade, and not very far away.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:39 pm

montreal

don't forget the maple leaf. montreal is exquisite! your sooo close in vermont...
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Good Roads

Take a little trip on the web over to Rider.com and in the search field type in "Vermont Has You Covered". This is a nice article of a neat tour through Vermont. Lots of great roads and sights. I myself have been on many of these roads. It is a good article by Scott Williams. I think it would be a great place to start.
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:30 pm

Thumbs up Great Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
I've done this route in a few different configurations and the entire ride is beautiful with great and challenging roads.
You won't be dissapointed for a minute.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in