Central MA Tech Session - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Central MA Tech Session

12k Service rapidly approaching. Anyone interested in a possible tech session? Don't want to give my money to the dealer if I don't have to. Have 2 car garage right off RTE 2 in Fitchburg...Thinking spring already......

GoldRush
'06 K1200LT - As of March 2017!
'05 K1200LT - RIP - (totaled 7/8/08)
Former Yankee Beemer Member
Former BMWMOA Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:08 am

Central MA tech session

I'm from central Ct. also in need of 12K. Would not mind taking the ride to watch, help or do two if we can.

Tom
post #3 of 37 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresser98
I'm from central Ct. also in need of 12K. Would not mind taking the ride to watch, help or do two if we can.

Tom

I just had mine done by MAx in Nh but would love to see one. I will also volunteer to take photos.

Jim

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 8:15 am

The 12k is pretty easy except for the brake bleed (done "right" and assuming its been 2 years). Most of the work is getting all the tupperware and the tank off. If you change the fuel filter, ask for some fuel rated screw clamps rather than the factory clamps that take a special tool. If the valves are off, and that is unlikely at 12k, you should be prepared to go to the dealer to get the right buckets and also add a few hours of work to take the cams out change the buckets and the put the cams back in (Have lots of plastic wire ties to lock everything down).

Personally, I leave the valves and the brake bleed to the dealer as I would rather spend those hours riding. If I am in town, I wouldn't mind helping/guiding/kibitzing!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #5 of 37 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 10:10 am

Central Ma tech session

This will be a 60k for me. The brakes and clutch fluid were done, but I would like to learn how to do the valves.

Tom
post #6 of 37 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 2:49 pm

I am not there yet (12K) but would like to watch and offer a hand if required. Currently my driveway is not motorcycle usable due to snow/ice so hopefully you are going to wait for a little warmer weather.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #7 of 37 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 9:16 pm
was

I'm going to start tearing down my bike this week for a 12K "plus" (replacing the shocks, replacing all the fuel hoses, new windshield, checking the final drive bearing for any signs of wear, all this in prep for a trip across country in early summer). However, I'd like to attend the tech session and help out (I'm pretty good at holding a flashlight and I'm darn good at losing nuts and bolts). Look forward to hearing about when you're gonna schedule it.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 37 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 9:16 am Thread Starter

I feel a pulse

Definitely a lot of interest, here. Ok who's going to do the wrenching, besides me?

GoldRush
Former BMWMOA Member
post #9 of 37 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 5:06 pm

Central MA tech session

I can help with the wrenching the only thing I would be leary of is the valves only because I have never done it or seen it done.

Tom
post #10 of 37 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 6:53 pm

Just got it done at Max's. But the next one I will give a go, that is as long as I don't need the brakes done.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #11 of 37 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldRush
12k Service rapidly approaching. Anyone interested in a possible tech session? Don't want to give my money to the dealer if I don't have to. Have 2 car garage right off RTE 2 in Fitchburg...Thinking spring already......
I do mine so if I am available I will take a ride up and help..

That is, if I am available. My LT is 'sleeping' now until I can change the slave cylinder. Mine is leaking.. found that out when I went to a tech session with Kevin Cook near Syracuse in the fall last year. Plan to replace the slave in the early spring. I already have the parts.. I was hoping to have much more time to do some of this later in the winter or very early spring. I pushed the clutch slave way to long.. So if you do it before I do the slave I will 'drive' up in my truck...

I have not done any brake bleeding but I am buying a hand suction pump for my clutch slave. After that I hope to be able to do all the service even the brake fluid change. Fortunately my LT has not had to have a bucket adjustment yet so I don't have any experience with that.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #12 of 37 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
I'm going to start tearing down my bike this week for a 12K "plus" (replacing the shocks, replacing all the fuel hoses, new windshield, checking the final drive bearing for any signs of wear, all this in prep for a trip across country in early summer). However, I'd like to attend the tech session and help out (I'm pretty good at holding a flashlight and I'm darn good at losing nuts and bolts). Look forward to hearing about when you're gonna schedule it.
Are you thinking of doing the weep hole?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 37 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:50 pm
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Are you thinking of doing the weep hole?
I'm thinking about it, but I would rather wait until I've seen one done. Knowing me, I'd probably misunderstand some step in the written instructions and drill a hole in the tranny or gas tank.

That being said, Goldrush, I'd be happy to help out with the wrenching (on someone else's bike ) if I can make it.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #14 of 37 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
I'm thinking about it, but I would rather wait until I've seen one done. Knowing me, I'd probably misunderstand some step in the written instructions and drill a hole in the tranny or gas tank..
If you want to do it we can try.

I do have some days off during the week as I do work over the weekend sometimes. I know we planned on doing the deed at my house but if you already do some teardown to put a rear shocks you pretty much have gotten to the point that the weep hole can be done at the same time.. The swing arm comes off next... and then the slave comes out and it time to play with the drill..

Let me know otherwise we can wait till later when it's warmer. I'd like to do replace my slave cylinder in early April because I want to see if I can go to STC this year.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #15 of 37 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 8:43 am
was

Goldrush, sorry if I hijacked your thread! I'm still interested in the tech session.

Jack, it's mighty tempting. How about when I get to that stage I'll PM you and we'll see if there's a time when you can come down and walk me thru the slave cylinder procedure. (Anyone else who is interested is invited also. I'll send out a post.) Then when you pull yours I'd be more than willing to come to your place and help out.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #16 of 37 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:03 am

This sounds like a good time! I should be getting mine back from the rear main / shift linkage work sometime soon, weather permitting. I had the hole for the slave drilled while it was apart, so if you would like to take off the tupperware to see the where it goes, we could do the slave while we're at it.
I can help with the wrenching, but I'm new to working on the LT so only for the simpler stuff or with some oversight.
Oh... And make sure you count all bolts before and after the work is done... don't ask how I know.......

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #17 of 37 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Jack, it's mighty tempting. How about when I get to that stage I'll PM you and we'll see if there's a time when you can come down and walk me thru the slave cylinder procedure. (Anyone else who is interested is invited also. I'll send out a post.) Then when you pull yours I'd be more than willing to come to your place and help out.
OK we can look through Kevin Cooks procedure and tool list and decide if I need to bring anything that you don't have. Santa brought me a new 3/8s torque wrench to replace my old dial one. You have the tool that David made for you that will make this work. If you have the rear shock off the drilling procedure should not be much more than an hour. Even if we drop a few things..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #18 of 37 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 2:43 pm
was

Quote:
OK we can look through Kevin Cooks procedure and tool list and decide if I need to bring anything that you don't have. Santa brought me a new 3/8s torque wrench to replace my old dial one. You have the tool that David made for you that will make this work.
David made me a tool? Cool. But I have dementia and can't remember who David or what tool. Help!

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #19 of 37 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 8:48 pm

i have the tool and the drill bit i want to drill mine also
post #20 of 37 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:50 am Thread Starter

No problem!!

I'm on vacation next week and can't think beyond that right now. Keep the thread going and we'll definitely make something happen come March early April.

GoldRush
Former BMWMOA Member
post #21 of 37 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
David made me a tool? Cool. But I have dementia and can't remember who David or what tool. Help!
You told me you ordered (and received, BTW) the 30MM cutout socket from David Shealey that we need to get the swing arm off. and the extra long drill ...

Tell me you remember...

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #22 of 37 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldRush
I'm on vacation next week and can't think beyond that right now. Keep the thread going and we'll definitely make something happen come March early April.
That is a better time.. can't seem to think Spring yet with the wind chills at minus 10 to 20...

Hopefully I will be able to make it if I have enough time to plan. I have done most of the service stuff except bleed the brakes and clutch.. and I hope to own a vacuum pump by then so I can 'help' advise the wrenches. I doubt I will ride up with mine.. but ya' never know.. it was 70s a few weeks ago..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #23 of 37 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 10:18 am
was

Question

Quote:
You told me you ordered (and received, BTW) the 30MM cutout socket from David Shealey that we need to get the swing arm off. and the extra long drill ...

Tell me you remember...
Sorry, Jack, I don't remember, but that means nothing, there's lots of stuff I don't remember! I don't have the tools, but I'll PM David and see if he has one for sale. And I'll check thru the archives to see if I can find the diameter of the extra long drill bit and try to get one of those too.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #24 of 37 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:02 am

I would like to join depending on the day. I start my instructor course March 24th in Farmington CT. It takes up a couple of weekends in April. I need to install my Hi beam HID and while the bike is apart I would like to reinstall my low beam HID. If there is time of course and garage space. I will defer to the major mechanical stuff.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #25 of 37 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:26 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Sorry, Jack, I don't remember, but that means nothing, there's lots of stuff I don't remember! I don't have the tools, but I'll PM David and see if he has one for sale. And I'll check thru the archives to see if I can find the diameter of the extra long drill bit and try to get one of those too.
Ran a search on the tool David fabricated. He no longer makes them, but others have been able to fabricate the tool following his specs, so I'll give that a try. If that doesn't work I'll buy the BMW OEM tool.

The hex wrench and drill (5/32, at least 6" long) I'll get off the shelf.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #26 of 37 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 4:54 pm

again ,,,i have the tool and the drill bit anyone is welcome to use them
post #27 of 37 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 6:31 pm
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
again ,,,i have the tool and the drill bit anyone is welcome to use them
Yea, Lenny, I'll take you up on that. I'll PM you when I get close to removing the swing arm and arrange to pick them up. Many thanks.

Bill

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #28 of 37 Old Feb 17th, 2007, 8:16 am

cool...but let me know , i want to do mine also, ill come over with my bike well do both,,always good to have another set of eyes and hands
post #29 of 37 Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:20 am
was

Quote:
cool...but let me know , i want to do mine also, ill come over with my bike well do both,,always good to have another set of eyes and hands
Most excellent, we'll see if we can get Jack here as well. 2 car garage, plenty of room to work on 2 bikes, but it is unheated except for heater tubing running thru to the back of the house, so it can be cold. I'll have plenty of coffee and donuts to keep us warm. Anyone else who is interested is welcome.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #30 of 37 Old Feb 17th, 2007, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Most excellent, we'll see if we can get Jack here as well. 2 car garage, plenty of room to work on 2 bikes, but it is unheated except for heater tubing running thru to the back of the house, so it can be cold. I'll have plenty of coffee and donuts to keep us warm. Anyone else who is interested is welcome.
Bill, I'm sorry... I looked back and I had been PM'ing Lenny on the tool... I thought it was you... Hamden.. Wallingford.. close.

Sorry Lenny.. I knew someone ordered the tool..

You and I were going to do the weep hole in the spring on your LT.. and I needed the tool for my slave swap out..

There is no room anymore in the old filing cabinet... I wonder how long it's going to be ... before I can't remember that I can't remember...

Back on point... We we going to do this when I had more time. I thought I would be retired by then but that hasn't happened yet and may not for a while..

However I will be taking more time off.. Lets try and set a date so I can do some scheduling if possible.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #31 of 37 Old Feb 18th, 2007, 4:41 pm
was

Quote:
Bill, I'm sorry... I looked back and I had been PM'ing Lenny on the tool... I thought it was you... Hamden.. Wallingford.. close.

Lets try and set a date so I can do some scheduling if possible.
Hey, Jack, no problem. Just glad that Lenny has the tool. Are weekends or weekdays better for you guys? I'm flexible (uh, make that unemployed) so either is fine with me. I am supposed to be renovating a bathroom, and that already is going slow (I measure once and cut twice and the stud or electrical wire or DWV tube or water supply tube is STILL too short!), so it's going to take me some time to get to the point of removing the swing arm. How about March 24 or March 31 (if weekends are better), or any weekday in that time range?

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #32 of 37 Old Feb 18th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
How about March 24 or March 31 (if weekends are better), or any weekday in that time range?
I never really know when I will have days off. I worked this weekend and I have Monday off.. not a holiday. Just a day off for working over the weekend.. But it is probably too soon to get anything organized and I already have a few things to do. Next weekend I'll be working also but I need to work all week.. I have a class I need to attend.

You seem to be flexible with all the measuring and cuttin' and maybe between trips to Home Depot... if we get what looks like some good weather for working in the garage maybe we can do something during the week. I would rather do the task then but can do something on some Saturdays. I'm booked up this week and next so it will have to be after the 1st of March for sure.

Lenny are you available during the week any days?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #33 of 37 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 6:44 am

i get a lot of days off during the week ,march 26,27,28 are good for me
post #34 of 37 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:02 am
was

Quote:
i get a lot of days off during the week ,march 26,27,28 are good for me
Good for me too. Jack, how does that timeframe look?

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #35 of 37 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:10 pm

So far those are winners for me so far.. far enough out so no one has anything for me yet.. lets try Monday... the 26th. second choice is Tuesday.. the 27th

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #36 of 37 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:26 am
was

Great, Monday the 26, Tuesday the 27 as a backup. I'm at 400 Mt. Carmel Ave., Hamden. 203-248-6092. PM me if you need directions. Observers and other wrenchs are more than welcome. How about 9:30 as a start time?

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #37 of 37 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:39 pm

9:30 is a good time for me..

We will decide what we are gong to do and make sure we have tools necessary. I don't believe I will start my maint till after that.. Once I have the slave replaced I won't be worried about taking out the clutch and I will be able to ride in April.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in