Anybody been to Gengras yet? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 4:18 pm Thread Starter
was

Anybody been to Gengras yet?

Anybody in CT been to Gengras yet? Evidently they are open for service on BMWs at this point (http://www.gengrasmotorcycles.com/index.htm), and I'm interested in what the experience has been so far.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Hey Bill,
Actually my LT dropped the shift linkage the other day and when I got underneath to put it into gear so I could limp home I found the bottom of the tranny soaked in oil. I took it straight to Gengras and had Don take a look at it - he thinks it's a rear main seal. My factory warranty runs out tonight at midnight, so I'm actually considering this all to be a lucky break.
They took the bike right in, but they do not have loaners so you need to make sure you have a ride home (almost bought a new Dakar since I had an excuse, but my SO was able to give me a ride so the answer was NO! )
The shop itself is nice enough, and the Ducks and Triumphs are right next door. The service bay is huge so they can probably fit 8 bikes at a time for service. My only real concern is that my understanding is Don is the only master tech they have, Doug is a relatively young guy, but was waist deep into an identical LT when I dropped mine off.
We'll see how it goes.......

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 19th, 2006, 7:03 pm Thread Starter
was

Hey, Kevin, thanks. Sorry to hear that your rear main seal blew out, but as you say, if it was going to happen, better that it happened when it did than a week later. I called Gengras today, made an appointment for Friday to have a new front tire mounted and balanced. I'll wait for it and go take a look at the bikes they have for sale. I've had this hankering for awhile for a GS Adventure . . .

Bill
Guilford, CT

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:33 am

Hey Kevin,

Does that mean you called MAx or not?

Jim

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:32 pm

Hey Jim,
I dealt with Max's to get my extended warranty, but since I was still in my factory warranty period by 2 days I needed to get the bike in for the claim (service) as the extended was not signed yet. If it would have happened a week or so earlier I would have had Max's pick it up since they have the free pickup in CT. I called Don (at Gengras) today and the shift linkage is toast too. I thought it just unscrewed, but it sounds like upon closer inspection it is completely stripped. Fixable with new parts, but it was not going to be a roadside repair even if I would have wanted to try. Looks like carrying the spare linkage parts may be smart to do afterall......... Sounds like I won't have the bike back now until the middle of January the earliest and possibly later... I hope I don't end up having to ride it home in the snow.......
Don't forget I have the ladder if you need it too, let me know and I can leave the garage unlocked for you.

Bill, you may have to justify a pretty large credit card bill in January cause they have a nice GSA sitting on the floor with a red bow on it! Although, I bet you could haggle a REALLY good deal on a 999 right about now..... hmm.....

LOTTO Take me away!!!!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:21 pm

Hey Kevin,

Well let me know how you make out. I stopped in there yesterday to buy a head sock. Not very impressed. Lots of bikes but no sales people at all. David the sales manager was out checking a bike a guy wanted to trade in for 650gs. I was eyeing that GSA big time. What a sweet looking machine.

I was chatting with the guy that wanted to buy the 650gs for about 20 minutes before anybody came in to help me out. We ended up talking about MAxs and how they offer the free pick up and delivery. He was amazed.

Did you notice that the LTs had all the tipover plastic removed? I thought that was wierd.

Anyway, good luck with the repairs. I do like the look of the shop. Clean and bright.

Happy Holidays to all

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #7 of 11 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:37 pm

Hi All, when I was in on Wednesday, I learned they will get the main clothing order in in April before they have an open house. Don has been busy setting up the new bikes.
Dave has a sales guy and a gal that will work the clothing and sales up stairs. They also have the whole large building next door to store new bikes and owner bikes for the winter. In all plenty of space and management $ to make it a good dealer, once they have their "team" in place.

For you out of town folks, Gengras Motorcycles, sells Ducati, BMW, Triumph and Schwinn scooters in East Hartford near I91 & I84. He is also the Harley Dealer a few doors down. On the car side he does Volvo, Chev, Dodge-Jeep, and Lincoln/Mercury. Just what BMW wants, a mega dealer.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 8:33 am Thread Starter
was

I went in yesterday to have a new front tire mounted and balanced. First impressions are pretty good. I called last Tuesday to make an appointment. There was no answer, just the answering machine at 9:30 a.m., but Lynn called me back within 30 minutes, explained that she had been on the phone with a rep., and apologized for not being able to answer my call. Very nice on the phone, and had already checked to see what tires they had in stock. I made the appt. for 9:00 Friday, although I could have gotten in on Wednesday or Thursday if I had wanted. I was 15 minutes late to the appt., but they took the bike right in. Did the paperwork and wandered upstairs. The dealership has two showrooms connected by a covered walkway. On the right is a Ducatti and Triumph showroom. On the left is BMW. The showrooms are good size, with lots of light from 3 walls of floor-to-ceiling windows. As Barney noted in an earlier post, they do not have all their merchandise in yet, and accessories/riding gear are sparse at the moment. But the floor is packed with bikes: 2 F650GS, 2 R1200 GS, 1 GS Adventure, 5 LTs (one used), and bunches of boxers and other K bikes. None of the new X bikes have been delivered yet, of course. Plenty of space to walk around the bikes, get down on the floor to look underneath, etc. Unlike Barney's experience, the sales guy (he told me his name, but I forget it) came up to me within 2 minutes, and we chatted about various things as I drooled over the bikes and he cleaned up after me. He's a rider, has been on Eidelweiss tours, showed me pictures, asked me about my travels - no pressure to buy, just interesting conversation about bikes and riding. I sat on the Adventure for awhile and successfully talked myself out of fantasizing that I would spend the rest of my life riding through rimrock canyons, desert, and mountain fire trails. I checked out the Ducs and Triumps (nice bikes, I suppose, but they don't calle to me), and then wandered back down to the shop.

The shop is huge. There is a waiting area (free coffee, lots of bike mags to look at) with a big window that looks right into the shop, so you can watch what's going on. On Friday morning there was virtually nothing going on. There were 5 bikes on lifts in various stages of assembly/disassembly, but nobody working on them. There was one wrench in the shop for most of the time that I watched, joined by a second guy late in the morning. One side of the shop was filled with bikes that I assumed were there for set-up before sale, but there is not much room upstairs in the showrooms for them. I got my bike back at 11:30 - 2 hours, 15 minutes to mount and balance a front tire. A tad longer than I would have liked, given that I had an appointment. Labor was a flat $65.00 (it would have been less had I dismounted the wheel and just brought that in). I had noticed on the website that they advertised 15% off tire mounting and balancing, and I noticed on the bill that they had not taken the 15% off, so I questioned that. Lynn was very nice, checked with Don the service manager, they had not been informed of the discount, they checked the website and then re-did the bill to deducted 15% on both the labor and the retail price of the tire, valve, and balancing weights. Lynn kept apologizing that they had missed the discount.

So, they clearly are still in the throes of getting this enterprise off the ground. However, they impressed me with their friendliness, eagerness to please, and potential for being a really good dealership. Time will tell.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:19 am

Sounds good so far. i am certainly willing to give them a shot but it is hard to use anybody else because the service I have recieved from MAX. Fred picked up my yesterday for the 12K. Thye called me a couple times to make sure everything was still a go. Fred the driver called me to tell me he was about 45 minutes out. I asked if he needed directions, he said no because he had it programed into the GPS. When he got to the house he pulled up the driveway but had second thoughts and moved the truck to the street. He said he did not like the angle of the ramp on the driveway. We chatted for awhile and he told me my bike was his 5 of the day. 3 deliveries and 2 pick ups including mine. He was driving one of those Mercedes Sprinter vans. he sdaid tha the truck had 137K on it and it was three years old. We chatted for about 20 minutes and he headed back to NH. At 6:15 last night Friday, I got a call from Tom in the service Dept. He said my bike had arrived and just wanted to go over what it was in for and make sure there was nothing else I wanted looked at. I asked hime to check on the brake upgrade for the rear and he said he would call me on Saturday.

I just love these guys they really work hard to please the Customer. OBW, Fred said Max was looking for another location. HMMM. Maybe sothern CT? We could not be soo lucky.

Have a great holiday

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #10 of 11 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 1:07 pm

gengras bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Anybody in CT been to Gengras yet? Evidently they are open for service on BMWs at this point (http://www.gengrasmotorcycles.com/index.htm), and I'm interested in what the experience has been so far.
i was in there a couple of weeks ago. looks nice. friendly people working there. not much stock in , they just became a authorized dealer less than a month ago. don in service was very good to talk to. will have to have my throttle replaced by them in near future if weather holds out.
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 8:38 am

I stopped in for a long lunch on Tuesday with friends from work. Very nice setup.

I live only 5 miles away so its SOOOO nice having the shop close. That ride to Winstead was long and always traffic filled. I can eaily take the bike here in the winter..only have to deal with the cold for a few miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in