Sites to see in the extended NorthEast? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 7:25 am Thread Starter

Sites to see in the extended NorthEast?

Greetings folks. Winter is here and planning routes for 2017 may keep me sane. I am looking for interesting desitnations in Maine, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, and New York.

Thanks for your inputs,
MadHadder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 7:57 am

Re: Sites to see in the extended NorthEast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHadder View Post
. I am looking for interesting desitnations in Maine, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, and New York.
NH/Maine line - hurricane mountain road
NH- Mt washington auto road/kangamangus hwy/bear notch road
MA- route 9 from pittsfield to 91
CT-route 7 north into MA, Mt Greylock in MA.
NY-route 22 north

just a few off the top of my head.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 1:35 pm

In Western Mass, try Route 2 (Mohawk Trail), from Greenfield, MA, head west to the Berkshire Mountains. It's very scenic. I live around there and ride it often.

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs so far. However, I am looking for interesting stopping points. It is very commong for a few of us to do 300-400 miles around the North East in a day.

Wanted to plan some different destination rides this year, so your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
MadHadder
post #5 of 13 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 5:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Made a similar trip last year with my wife. We stopped off at Alexandria Bay, NY and took a boat ride to visit Bolt Castle on Heart Island. The side trip took about 2 hours to complete and wasn't very expensive. We also enjoyed riding Hwy 113 south along the NH and Maine border.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

IBA Saddlesore 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride2Ski View Post
Made a similar trip last year with my wife. We stopped off at Alexandria Bay, NY and took a boat ride to visit Bolt Castle on Heart Island. The side trip took about 2 hours to complete and wasn't very expensive. We also enjoyed riding Hwy 113 south along the NH and Maine border.
Thanks...Bolt Castle at Alexandria Bay. Looking it up right now. 1 stop for 2017 in the books.
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 5:35 pm

Vermont route 100 from start to finish
NY Adirondack mtns route 3
What I like to do is ride route 100 then cross over to NY via ferry in Burlington VT. Or ride up around lake Champlain route 2 then ride route 3 in Adirondack mtn.
Have a fun ride 😊

Harley
2018 R1200 GSA Rallye
2014 K 1600 GTLE
2001 K 1200 LT "gone but not forgotten"
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 7:47 pm

The highlights that I recall from a trip out there seven years ago include Smugglers Notch near Stowe, VT and Mount Greylock near North Adams, MA. Breakfast at the Blue Ben Diner in Bennington, VT ranks up there, too.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #9 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2016, 6:59 am

Cole Palen's Old Rhinebech Aerodome, Reinbech , NY

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

This place is a must see if your anywhere nearby. Following is an excerpt from their WEB Page. Try to hit it on a weekend as the live air show is amazing!

The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is a true “living” museum of antique aviation located in the historic town of Rhinebeck, New York. We present one of the largest collections of early aeroplanes in the world, as well as automobiles, motorcycles, early engines and memorabilia spanning the period from 1900-1939.

During our exciting weekend air shows, the Aerodrome turns back the hands of time and relives the early years of aviation (weather permitting). This colorful era is brought back to life amidst the roar of rotary engines and is great entertainment for all ages. The Saturday shows chronicle the history of flight with pioneer, World War I and Lindbergh era aircraft taking to the skies. If the winds are calm you will even see our 1909 Bleriot (the oldest flying aircraft in the United States) take to the air. The Sunday shows feature a World War I dogfight as well as barnstorming aircraft.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #10 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2016, 9:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

You may want to check this site . . .

The New England Riders website has a lot of great motorcycle trip planning information for the New England and Appalachia regions.
Check it out here: http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestEasternMC.htm

Cut & paste to internet your brouser

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 10:03 pm

If not too late, I would suggest the Maine coast, specifically Acadia National Park. Mountains and crashing waves and drop dead scenery. From that area, you can ride further east along less crowded roads to the Canadian border. Fishing villages and a detached section of the Park - Schoonic Point. Caution July and August traffic in and around the Park can be awful. The park loupe road is gorgeous. Ride early in the a.m. or late afternoon. To get to the area in tourist season I would ride the interstate to Bangor and cut across if traveling in July or August.

The rest of the Maine coast can be interesting also, with good rides up and down the peninsulas to the coast. But again heavy tourist traffic in July / August.

Richard
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 15th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Garage

I live just a few miles from Smuggler's Notch, and in my biased opinion, you are correct... it is a great ride and the area is quite scenic.
Greg
post #13 of 13 Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 6:44 am

Garage

I know it's been nearly 2 years but did you ever get your list together and take that ride, MadHadder? If I put my thinking cap on I'm certain I can come up with stopping points that make for interesting visits including some good places for food as well during a journey on some enjoyable roads, having lived in this part of the world for a good long number of years. If you went, how did you enjoy the side trip to Boldt Castle?

Motorhead1977, Albany, NY
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."--John, Viscount Morley On Compromise, 1874
Dissent is Patriotic - Let us never forget that America was born of dissent.

2018 R1200RTW - Mars Red
2015 Ducati Scrambler Icon - '62 Yellow
1987 Honda VFR400R Rothmans livery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in