PA Dealer advice?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Question PA Dealer advice??

As I am about to put down five figures on an '03 LT-C, and as I read how important it's going to be for me to have a positive dealer relationship, can anyone give me some personal feedback about these places:

Main Line BMW in Devon, PA - this is where I'm buying the bike from, 2+ hrs from home. They just gave me the VIN WB10555AX32D79105, which decodes to a build date of Jan 1973. I've asked them to verify that & get back to me.

Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg, PA - 15 minutes from home. Had a questionable first impression of their sales staff. Hope I can trust the service folks.

Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA - 1.5 hrs from home. Sounds like a top-notch shop.

TransAm in Lititz, PA - 1 hr from home. No idea what they're like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Thumbs up

You will be happy with Hermys

Pete Murray
post #3 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Man, you lucky dog - you actually get a choice!!!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 3:52 pm

I have not used Hermy's but several in my riding club have and have been satisfied with the service.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #5 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 4:08 pm

I have never been to Velocity Cycles but have talk to other BMW riders that did not have a good experience there.
I have been to Trans-Am a few times and I have been very happy with the service there. One of the 1st times there I had a pivot link adjustment done (rear wheel had side to side play) and they squeezed me in while I waited and did the work for no charge, what more could you ask for.
Ask for Charlie the service manager.
I have also heard good things about Hermy's too but Trans-Am is much closer.
post #6 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Got my bike from Hermy's a few weeks ago. 600 mile service was quick and smooth. So far I've been very pleased and so no reason to go anywhere else.
post #7 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Bought my used 2000 from Trans-Am and have nothing but praise for the sales guys. Also talked with the service manager and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about, and was willing to answer any questions I had about my "used" bike. I have also dealt with Hermy's on a few occasions and again, they are a top notch shop. Take your pick.
I have personally not dealt with Velocity, but have talked to a few guys that have and I was told to stay away.
Like I said on another thread, if you need any help, just give a yell. I'm only about 45 minutes away from ya. Good Luck!
post #8 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 7:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Have you looked into NJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnicks
As I am about to put down five figures on an '03 LT-C, and as I read how important it's going to be for me to have a positive dealer relationship, can anyone give me some personal feedback about these places:

Main Line BMW in Devon, PA - this is where I'm buying the bike from, 2+ hrs from home. They just gave me the VIN WB10555AX32D79105, which decodes to a build date of Jan 1973. I've asked them to verify that & get back to me.

Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg, PA - 15 minutes from home. Had a questionable first impression of their sales staff. Hope I can trust the service folks.

I live about 20 miles from Main Line BMW. I bought my 05 LT from DeSimone in Mt Laurel NJ. I shopped for a while looking to up grade my 92 K bike. The time I was looking I went to Main Line BMW. I soon realized they had no reputable service tech nor did the sales staff have any in-depth knowledge regarding the bikes. Each question resulted in them picking up a brochure and looking for a quote. I was told the dealers GM at the time was the daughter of the Auto dealership? I spoke with her very briefly and she was not a rider. She was about 20 years old and complained quite loudly to others in the shop about not being able to get "affordable" insurance do to lack of experience. To me the rest of the shop reflected her attitude.

I found my self at DeSimone, (Cherry Hill BMW at the time) and found all the experience I was looking for; knowledgeable staff & extremely good techs. I have heard good things regarding Hermy's and Trans Am. DeSimone is closer to me. I did buy the cup holder from Hermy's via mail order for their regular price of $96 vs. $118 at most others.

Maybe things have changed at Main Line, but I have never had a reason to even consider going back.

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

post #9 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnicks

FWIW,
DO NOT deal with Mechanicsburg BMW. I have had experience with that shop when I lived in PA and the GM is a lying snake oil salesman.
I almost bought a nice (looking!)R1100S there a few years ago, and then found out after being told the bike was "fresh out of the crate" that it was actually a crashed demo.
As if that's not bad enough, he was demanding full MSRP +ship/handling even after I found it it was 1) a demo and 2) crashed - never even made an excuse about lying as "it was put back to "better than new condition"" whatever that means??

What about Bob's? I've heard a lot of great things about them plus they know Airheads!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #10 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Funny how 100% of the feedback on Velocity was negative. Guess my first impressions were right on.

Glad to hear TransAm gets the thumbs-up. I'll give them my business first, probably. I've taken my other bike to Hermy's before and was very impressed, but it's a bit out of the way.

I believe LTOehler is right - the GM at Mainline is apparently still the same person. They seem perhaps understaffed and a little thin on experience. Maybe that might work in my favor on price?
post #11 of 17 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 4:59 pm

I know its a long ride but "Two Jack's" in Wilks-Barre is also very helpful and knowledgable.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #12 of 17 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 7:48 pm

five figures !!!!

I'm not overly impressed with Velocity either, although <20 minutes is a plus, (even less for you) personally I like BOBs near BWI. I went to Hermys before I bought my LT, nice folks, but no other impression.

BOBs has been around a long time, big dealer, only BMW ^^^, and will take the time to help you. the guy in the parts department even remembered my wife buying my christmas present over 9 months later !!!!

I hate driving 1.5 hrs for good service, BUT it could be worse .......

I have used VELOCITY a couple times, but like I said, unimpressive

1 hr shop time to reset the computer after an ABS error / fix give me a break, at least they ordered the $3 part for my shifter assy w/o a pre-pay (it was a special order !)

we're lucky, we have a choice !

mike
post #13 of 17 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 7:53 pm

Unhappy Mainline BMW motorcycle closed???

Pulled up for service 2 weeks ago and the Mainline BMW motorcyle was closed for business. Place was cleaned out. Looked like they left in the middle of the night...anyone hear anything ?
post #14 of 17 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 7:44 am

Hermy's
If your south of your place and in a pinch, Tom Foster (owner's son) at the Lincoln dealership in Chambersberg is a wizz. If you do happen stop there, ask to see the pictures of the old Indian he found in the collasped chicken coop, then restored.
His dad and buddies ran BMW's for many years.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #15 of 17 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 9:12 pm

PA Dealer Advice

I live in Nassau County NY and commute to York PA. I have stopped and shoped at Hermys in Port Clinton PA. They appear to be a first class dealership. I would not hesitate to give them my business.
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Yup, they're history

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200newbe
Pulled up for service 2 weeks ago and the Mainline BMW motorcyle was closed for business. Place was cleaned out. Looked like they left in the middle of the night...anyone hear anything ?
Guy who bought my Triumph that I traded in for the LT at Mainline has since been in touch with me. Apparently, just days after he bought the Triumph, they vanished.

As previously stated, the GM was some young non-rider girl with an attitude. When I bought the LT from her, it was just about the least professionally-conducted transaction I've ever experienced. I felt like I was buying the bike on the black market.

It's probably a good thing for the BMW universe that this dealer no longer exists.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Will do

Rock, I just stumbled across your response - I'll check up on him. I've since moved to Carlisle, so Chambersburg ain't too far at all.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Hermy's
If your south of your place and in a pinch, Tom Foster (owner's son) at the Lincoln dealership in Chambersberg is a wizz. If you do happen stop there, ask to see the pictures of the old Indian he found in the collasped chicken coop, then restored.
His dad and buddies ran BMW's for many years.
Rock

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in