travel to Montreal help needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

travel to Montreal help needed

My wife and I are planning a long weekend to Montreal. We will be leaving from S of Syracuse, NY will travel N on I-81. Would it be better to cross where 81 becomes 137 and then take 401 east or take 81 to 37 or 11 into 132 or 138 into Montreal or some other route? I would prefer to avoid real heavy traffic but I don't want to do 35 mph roads all the way there. Is there a a place to go into Canada and back that is less busy? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 8:38 pm

If you want to get their quickly take 401. It won't be very scenic but it will be the fastest way.

I'm not sure about the other routes you mentioned but Rt 3 from Watertown over to 87 is a pretty good road. There are a few towns you need to slow down going through but most of the way I normally drive 55-65mph. I'd think driving throught the Adirondacks would be more scenic than driving up along the St. Lawrence.

If you decide to take Rt. 3 stay on I81 until exit 48 and then take Rt. 342 East over to route 3. You'll avoid the traffic in Watertown and save some time.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheg
My wife and I are planning a long weekend to Montreal. We will be leaving from S of Syracuse, NY will travel N on I-81. Would it be better to cross where 81 becomes 137 and then take 401 east or take 81 to 37 or 11 into 132 or 138 into Montreal or some other route? I would prefer to avoid real heavy traffic but I don't want to do 35 mph roads all the way there. Is there a a place to go into Canada and back that is less busy? TIA
I was up in Watertown last week on business and I went up there via route 3 coming in from the Adirondack Mountains... nice ride. Route 3 as it gets into Watertown is under construction so I would avoid that.. I went home via US 11 north and near Malone I swung down towards Lake Placid.. US 11 is a great road.. no traffic and it is smooth with some small towns but mostly rural and farms.. all in all I recommend it.

You can take US 11 all the way to I-87 just south of Montreal and the slab it up to the city.. I went up that way quite a few years ago and it wasn't too far. The border crossing is really big there. There are some rule changes at the border and they will be requiring passports soon.. If you have them I would take them so the border crossing is as painless as possible.. both ways..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Done that trip a couple times. I'm just a few miles south of you.

Forget I-81. Go over toward Utica, north on 8, then 28 to Old Forge. Be sure to stop at the pancake house on the left, in Old Forge. That's worth the trip all by itself.

Continue on 28, then north on 28N, becomes 30. Continue north. Cross into Canada just above Malone, NY.

This route might take an extra hour, but then that's not the point, is it?

BTW, we love the Marriott downtown. Ask for one of the rooms facing the park, enjoy the view, especially at night.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in