looking for ferry info - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

looking for ferry info

I am heading out on a little roadtrip in sept and am interested in taking the New London, CT to Orient Point, NY ferry. Do I need reservations with my LT? And any other advice you can muster up would be appreciated.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:46 am
was

Hi Brian. The info on the website (https://www.longislandferry.com/Default.asp) is a bit confusing because there is no listing for a motorcycle when you click on the button to reserve a vehicle space. However, if you click on the button for Fees, it turns out that a motorcycle and rider are charged $25.00. I'd give them a call to find out if you have to reserve a space, but it does not appear so from the website. They are accepting reservations for Sept. at this point, and some ferries do fill up (depending on the time of day that they leave New London), so if they do accept motorcycle reservations you might want to reserve as soon as possible.

BTW, I'm going to be at home most of Sept. as far as I know. You've got a free bed and place to park your bike if you need an overnight stay before you hit the ferry. I'm 1 to 1.5 hours from New London (depending on traffic), be glad to put you up. Send me a PM if interested. Ride safe.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Bill,
Thanks for the reply and most generous offer! I will keep you in mind. I have been to the website and could not find specific info on bikes, So I thought I would check with the locals. I will give them a call today. I need to get to Long Island by thurs.(Only time to visit with my niece and nephew is friday and sat.) That leaves me with 4K miles to do in 6 days including sight seeing. I may have alter some of my west coast route and take more hwy's. I want to try and stick to the mountains and country roads on the east coast. I Love the small towns of the NE.

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 7:52 pm

No, bikes are loaded first. Just bring some tie down items, as the can only suggest as to where you should park. Remember side stand to a bulkhead or rail and tie it to the rail etc. They do not have insurance for a normal crossing where your bike may fall over if the make a little avoidance maneuver. Don't ask me, mine went into a trash barrel now I tell them where I want to place it within the suggested locations.
Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Barnett,
What kind of tie down items do you recommend? Do they not have ropes already in place? I am leaving Seattle after work on friday, I am really looking foward to the ride and visiting the east again!!!! Come on Friday......

Brian Ley
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in