New Haven to New Jersey: How to get there? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jackd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 13th, 2015, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Question New Haven to New Jersey: How to get there?

Planning a m/c ride at end of the month. Looks like I will be travelling South from Boston to Liberty Island. Thought of stopping to see Mayflower II and then spending night in New Haven, CT. The next morning (Saturday a.m.) will ride on down to see the Statue of Liberty. I get the impression there's more/better parking at Liberty State Park, NJ, as opposed to Battery Park, NY. Is this the case? If so, what's best way to go? google maps say I95 down, and then across the George Washington Bridge, which I've read is a real PIA. Is Holland Tunnel any better? Any other bridges/tunnels/route better choice? It appears to costs to go from NJ into Manhattan/NYC in the form of tolls, but supposedly free going the opposite direction- Manhattan to NJ.

I've read state hwy 15, aka Merritt Parkway is nice ride, but doesn't look like it's any quicker or more advantageous.

The end game is to get to one of the ferry locations by 10 or 11 am to get to Statue of Liberty, while leaving the bikes in a fairly secure location. I will be riding with a cousin who is somewhat paranoid about leaving his bike and gear "exposed".

Any suggestions?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 14th, 2015, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Re: New Haven to New Jersey: How to get there?

Are there no NY or NJ City slickers on this forum?
Further look on Google Maps shows WTC is within a mile or so of Battery Park, as well as the NYSE. Talk has been to visit the WTC area/memorial(s). I didn't know there is more than one. So, we might depart for Liberty Island from the Manhattan side, if I can find a reasonable and secure place to park the bikes. I contacted the Millennium Hilton and learned they charge $55 per day to park a car, and that's regardless if you're a guest at the hotel or not. Supposedly, there is a parking garage a block or so away from the hotel, but it's still over $20 per day. I don't know if they have hourly rates.

Would love to hear from some locals in that part of the country.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #3 of 8 Old May 15th, 2015, 8:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Jeff, I'm not from NY but have been there a good many times. There are likely many nice rides from Boston to NYC, but you might consider going I90 across to the Taconic Pkwy, down and jump off on 9A which brings you along the Hudson right down to a Port Authority garage next to the Holland Tunnel. I think they even have lockers you can put gear in. Hopefully a native will chime in here with better guidance. The way I routed you is the long way around but is a pretty ride. If you're in more of a hurry, Take I84 over to the Taconic, it cuts off a lot of miles. Enjoy your trip.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

post #4 of 8 Old May 15th, 2015, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob View Post
Jeff, I'm not from NY but have been there a good many times. There are likely many nice rides from Boston to NYC, but you might consider going I90 across to the Taconic Pkwy, down and jump off on 9A which brings you along the Hudson right down to a Port Authority garage next to the Holland Tunnel. I think they even have lockers you can put gear in. Hopefully a native will chime in here with better guidance. The way I routed you is the long way around but is a pretty ride. If you're in more of a hurry, Take I84 over to the Taconic, it cuts off a lot of miles. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks Bob for the info. I'll look into that route. I appreciate the tip about the garage.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #5 of 8 Old May 16th, 2015, 8:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

tapanze bridge .

post #6 of 8 Old May 16th, 2015, 8:26 pm

If you are going to stay in New Haven overnight then take CT 15 it is much better than I-95 even on Saturday morning. That will connect you with the Hutchinson River Parkway at the New York line and from there all roads lead to where you are going. This time of the year be very careful of potholes. Make sure your mirrors are tethered if your going to ride in NYC.

I have no idea on parking for Liberty Island. I would avoid New Jersey to travel to Liberty Island even on Saturday. I did a lot of riding in and around the Jersey side of NYC for work on my LT but not much in NYC. The best way to be a tourist in NYC is using the trains.

You could leave your bike in Connecticut at most any train station or at the hotel in New Haven if you are downtown and it is there garage. Then use MetroNorth to get you to the city. Of course you will miss the experience of riding in the city... If your not familiar with the city Saturday or Sunday morning is the best time. Sunday morning will be the overall best riding.
bikerj likes this.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 8 Old May 20th, 2015, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Sperra and Jack for the updates. I thought I had already posted a reply, but I don't see it. I will look at that bridge as an alternative to get over into Jersey. I have found some parking garages with a 1/2 mile or so of both the WTC area, as well as Battery Park, so we will be staying on that side of the Hudson. There is a SpotHero | On-Demand Parking App | Find, Book & Save, which allows you to make parking reservations ahead of time in various cities/locations. They aren't the only website to provide this service, but their customer service seems to be pretty good- at least so far. They claim to offer discounted rates. Parking is really expensive, but I guess it's on par with everything else in NYC. We won't be staying the night there.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 8 Old May 21st, 2015, 7:45 pm

Just a tip. Make sure the garage will accept motorcycles.

I have run into a few in Jersey that will not allow motorcycles in the garage. Probably because of the Harley type noise in the enclosed area. I also was turned away from garages with m F150... Probably cause it took up too much room.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in