Announcing Tech Session - Sept. 16th - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Announcing Tech Session - Sept. 16th

OK, I'll pick a date and see if this works for everyone.

September 16th with September 17th as a back-up in case of severe weather that would prevent people from riding on the 16th.

Objective: Drilling weep hole for clutch slave cylinder.
Invited: Anyone who needs this done on their bike, wants to learn how to do it or already knows how to do this service.

Should we all order replacement slave cylinders?
I ordered a tap already in case anyone needs it.
I'll have several 30mm modified sockets to use.

I'm going away for a week so we can plan the remaining details when I return. I wanted to get a date out there so that everyone could make plans early.

Please Respond to this post with your name and screen name if you are planning to attend.

Thanks,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 8:09 pm
was

I'm in

Hi Kevin. Thanks for pulling this together. I'm good for either day unless something unexpected comes up. If the procedure is done at CCR I'll try to document/photo the steps and will distribute to everyone attending the tech session. I'll be traveling/attending CCR from 8/24 - 9/3, so I probably will be out of touch for parts of that time period, will check in again after I return.

Screen name: was
Name: Bill Smalley

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 58 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 8:17 pm

That sounds like a good date for me. I need to do a weep hole and eventually a slave cylinder. Not sure I want to pull the clutch down that far from home.

I am going to attempt to work the weekend into my work schedule. At least the 16th as that will probably easier than the 17th.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 58 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 7:58 am

Good Date

Kevin,

The 16th is one of two Sat in Sept that I will be able to make it. Little fogy in the Tully valley Fri morning. I went down to Bainbridge, N Y to help set up a camp for the vols that will be helping out the flood victims. East of Binghamton area got it bad.
post #5 of 58 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:04 am

Cool question

is this session just for a modification that is needed on older LT's or will any and all versions be in need of this surgery? I have an 05 LT and have been wondering about this?

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #6 of 58 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Tech Session

Like Toby, I don't know if the '05s need this modification but I'll ask that question in Georgia. Assuming I can get back here by the 16th (I came home from CCR last year by way of Oregon) I'll look forward to attending any session that helps me to better understand how the Orbiter functions.

Wayne 'Doc' Edkin, Blossvale, NY
CCR Director, (Chairman: 2014, 2015, 2017)
'16 R1200RLC, '09R1200GSw/'16 CSM Sidecar, '05 K1200LTw/'09 Hannigan Sidecar, '74 R60/6 { '99 K1200LT (traded @ 62K}.

2000 First LT Gathering at The Gondola. CCRs: 2003 Gatlinburg, 2004 Breckenridge, 2005 Jackson Hole, 2006 Braselton, 2007 Osage Beach, 2008 Midway, 2010 Killington, 2011 Boise, 2012 Duluth, 2013 Bend, 2014 Chattanooga, and finally 2015 Coeur d'Alene.

post #7 of 58 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 6:42 pm

This weep hole will help every year LT. All year LTs can have clutch slave problems and the design of the slave has the leaking fluid eventually draining/slinging onto the normally dry clutch. Usually the problems have not started showing up mileage wise till about 60k or more. Knowledgable people on this board recommend automatic replacement as a maintenance item at any maintenance cycle above 50K and no later than 60K.

BTW, There seems to be a rash of early failures on '05s with bad slave cylinders and they are still taking out the clutches, so there are no design changes. If you still have warrantee, it's not a really big concern but someday you will run out.. Unless you have a long extended policy.

I'm concerned enough with bad stock to possibly delay ordering my replacement until the bad ones are really gone. Hopefully if I get to do the procedure at the tech session on the 16th. I can also see if mine is so far solid or if it already has signs of failure. I am just at 50K mileage wise.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 58 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 5:23 am

Based on my prior experience, I would suggest replacing the slave cyl, gasket ,hydraulic washers and get some felt for the clutch push rod.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #9 of 58 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 6:01 am

9/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
OK, I'll pick a date and see if this works for everyone.

September 16th with September 17th as a back-up in case of severe weather that would prevent people from riding on the 16th.

Objective: Drilling weep hole for clutch slave cylinder.
Invited: Anyone who needs this done on their bike, wants to learn how to do it or already knows how to do this service.

Should we all order replacement slave cylinders?
I ordered a tap already in case anyone needs it.
I'll have several 30mm modified sockets to use.

I'm going away for a week so we can plan the remaining details when I return. I wanted to get a date out there so that everyone could make plans early.

Please Respond to this post with your name and screen name if you are planning to attend.

Thanks,
Kevin
I have a good part of the day committed already on the 16th, but may try to ride down later if I can get free. If it rains, I'll see you on 9/17.

Bill

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!
post #10 of 58 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Oh Mannnn....

Sorry Kevin, I have a wedding on 9/16. I sure was looking forward to the session and meeting all of the guys. Don't mean to pray for rain on the 16th but I sure would be there on Sunday the 17th.

My best to the crew.

WAS Bill.. Sure would be great to see you again.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #11 of 58 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 4:28 pm

If it were not for parents weekend at my kids' college, I would ride the 254 miles up to NY to get a hole drilled so as I don't have any clutch problems when my slave cylinder goes! Have a great time...take and post photos!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #12 of 58 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 5:16 pm
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor
WAS Bill.. Sure would be great to see you again.
Ditto, Chuck. But no fear, for anybody who can't make it on the 16th let's just schedule a second tech session for the weep hole dentistry and/or other maintenance. Another excuse to ride, work on the bikes, eat, ride . . .

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #13 of 58 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:05 pm

I am a maybe at this point. Will firm up later, but would at least like to meet some of you and help/watch/learn even if I don't do mine. Glad to see one in our neck of the woods.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #14 of 58 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:09 pm
was

No demo, no pics from CCR . . .

Hi all. I had hoped to be able to watch a demo of the slave cylinder drilling and take pics at CCR, but the procedure was not done at the tech session. So, we will need to rely on the info on the forum unless someone who attends has seen the procedure done.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #15 of 58 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Hi all. I had hoped to be able to watch a demo of the slave cylinder drilling and take pics at CCR, but the procedure was not done at the tech session. So, we will need to rely on the info on the forum unless someone who attends has seen the procedure done.

Bill, Thanks for trying. I'm sure we will do just fine but if anyone has actually done this and would like to attend that would be great.

I'm going to try and convince my son to be our photographer/videographer for the day and maybe we can be the ones to finally document this procedure for the rest of the forum members. We'll see.

I look forward to seeing everyone.

Kevin

post #16 of 58 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Well it sure would have been nice for one of us to see the procedure but this thread has some good stuff. From the estimates that it would be 2 -4 hours without complications for an experienced wrench but I would imagine that the first one will be an all day affair. I would like to do mine (I have 51K now) but I don't think there will be enough time for two procedures.. unless we had an experienced wrench.. If I was doing it on my own it probably would be a whole weekend..

If I see and help somewhat I would try it on my own. I'm hesitant just to jump in and do it during the season on my own. Riding in from Connecticut it will take us about 4 hours to make Tully so there won't be much time.. Hopefully you won't start too early but I expect that it won't be real late.

Do you have any idea on when you will start?

I assume that if you need any tools other than the special ones that you said you had you would let us know.

Do you have a maintenance CD?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #17 of 58 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 8:55 am Thread Starter

Good Question Jack.

What time would everyone like to start? Maybe a couple of the local guys could start early and get one under our belt and when everyone else arrives we could start on a second set of bikes.

Has anyone that is coming removed the rear swing arm before? It looks like the only part that might be a pain in the neck. The rest looks pretty straight forward.

I don't have any spare bedrooms but if anyone wants to come up Friday night your more than welcome to crash on one of those inflatable beds or there is a Best Western 1/4 mile away. Anyone travelling is welcome to stay over Saturday night also. We could finish up anyone's bike Sunday morning if that would be necessary. Let me know.

We should be all set for tools. If anything unexpected turns up I can run down to the plant and borrow just about anything we would need.

This is what I sorted out from the listing so far about who can make it. I'm more than willing to extend this into Sunday if that helps anyone out. With the number of people plagued by this problem I'd like to see as many people as possible have it corrected.

Kevin Cook
Bill Smalley (WAS)
Jim Schuyler
jackd

tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe
surfran - maybe

Bill Hanna - maybe late in the day or the 17th.
ksailor - 17th

Thanks,
Kevin

post #18 of 58 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:47 am

I'll probably come up in the morning. I stay at enough hotels..

I wanted to do mine but I'm somewhat hesitant to tear the bike down that far from home. But if it goes really well I will put my on the 'table'..

I notice from the pictures that we need to drill up into the boss. I would imagine that the drill hole needs to be down the boss at a depth equal to the depth that the slave fits into the boss minus a MM and then half the drill bit diameter on top of that.. Now my question is how do we determine if the drill angel is correct. A degree or two could cause us to miss the sweet spot altogether.. Should we make a jig or tool to align the drill parallel to the top of the boss? Is it a problem to see if the drill is not going straight?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #19 of 58 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 4:46 pm
was

Hi Kevin et al. As it turns out, I'm going to have to miss the tech session altogether. A bunch of stuff has come up and there is no way that I can get away next weekend. Good luck with the project, and everyone ride safe.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #20 of 58 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Bill, sorry you can't make it but if your schedule changes just show up, your more than welcome.

Hey the good news is that someone is going to be at the tech session that has done this before......me .

I didn't plan it this way but I noticed that my clutch fluid was low on Tuesday so I took the bike apart on Tuesday night. It only took 45 minutes to have it all disassembled and I have never done this before.

My slave cylinder was leaking but I caught it in time. I had to wait for the socket to be machined so that I could reassemble the bike. I just picked the socket up around 8pm tonight and have everything pretty much put back together. I just came in to see how to bleed the clutch before I put the side panel back on.

I think we'll be able to get these done in under 3 hours without any trouble. Maybe close to 2 hours if nothing goes wrong.

I have been taking a ton of pictures and trying to document each step which has slowed me down quite a bit but I still only have 3-3.5 hours into the job.

I'll have step by step instructions written up with pictures before next weekend. Also a list of the tools for each step and I'll have those all layed out so we don't have to spend any time looking for the right sizes (like I did).

Thanks,
Kevin

post #21 of 58 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

wjhanna, ksailor,

If you guys can't make it on the 16th and would like to come up on the 17th we can take care of both your bikes.

Anyone else that can't make the 16th is also welcome on the 17th.

I figure if we do them while it is still fresh in my mind then everything will go faster.

Thanks,
Kevin

post #22 of 58 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 6:13 am

Kevin: That sounds great. Don't want to put you out or have anyone hang around an extra day just for me. But that would be fantastic. What can I bring?

Chuck J

post #23 of 58 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:23 am

Kevin that sounds like plan.. I hope to be there hopefully before 11 AM as I have a 4.5 hour ride across I-84, up RT 17 and I-81 to Tully. I'm now thinking if I can get mine done it would be great.. I have been watching my fluid and it hasn't moved but the boot being sucked in it can be deceiving in the sight glass. I know I need to to the task this season no matter what.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #24 of 58 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:20 pm Thread Starter

ksailor,

No problem at all. I have the whole weekend penciled out for slave cylinders.

Maybe Bill Hanna would want to come also.

Thanks,
Kevin

post #25 of 58 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 5:31 am

Kevin: PM me your directions and I'll see you next Sunday AM. What time?

I live right off of RT 17 near I-81. I could wait for anyone coming from downstate or JackD from CT and ride together if that makes sense. Ohterwise I could ride up early.

Thoughts?? Jack??

Chuck J

Last edited by ksailor; Sep 10th, 2006 at 5:36 am.
post #26 of 58 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:42 am Thread Starter

ksailor, I think your the only one on Sunday so far. Jack is coming up Saturday.

I'll post directions and a map tonight for everyone.

Chuck anytime you want to start on Sunday is fine with me, I'll be ready to go.

Thanks,
Kevin

post #27 of 58 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Here are a couple of maps to my house.

Located just off Interstate 81 about 25 miles south of Syracuse and 60 miles north of Binghamton, NY.

What time would anyone like to start. I'll be read to go early.

My house is a white cape. The only white house in the development. If anyone needs my phone number send me a PM and I'll give you my cell number. Just in case you running late or run in to trouble on the way.

Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tully Map.pdf (236.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf Bobwhite Lane.pdf (96.5 KB, 45 views)

post #28 of 58 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Chuck,

I'll see you Sunday at 10am.

Bill Hanna, are you interested in Sunday?

tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe
surfran - maybe
Any of you guys going to be able to make it?

Kevin

post #29 of 58 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 7:38 pm

Spare L T

I wanted to do mine but I'm somewhat hesitant to tear the bike down that far from home. But if it goes really well I will put my on the 'table'..

Jack,

Don't worry, I have a spare L T 2000 to get you home in case we run into problems.
post #30 of 58 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Schuyler

Jack,

Don't worry, I have a spare L T 2000 to get you home in case we run into problems.
Jim, That is a great fall back plan. That is one of my concerns and that is why I want to do Saturday. Hope everything works out weather wise. This will be a 520 mile round trip for me if everything goes well. I'm fighting off work already....

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #31 of 58 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:18 pm

outpatient surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfran
I am a maybe at this point. Will firm up later, but would at least like to meet some of you and help/watch/learn even if I don't do mine. Glad to see one in our neck of the woods.
I can't spend a lot of time either of those days, but would like to ride down and meet the riders and get an idea for what the whole thing is. What time? I shouldn't have any trouble finding the house.

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!
post #32 of 58 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 3:44 pm

I would REALLy like to attend this, but it looks like I'm going to be working on my heating system for the house all weekend. (yay! )
If it works out I may come up for Sunday, but won't know until I see how much gets done on Saturday.

Maybe we'll need to incorporate the weep hole into a tech session locally when Gerard is ready to do the Wilbers soon?

Kevin

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #33 of 58 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Kmc1

kmc1 Kev - Let me know Sat night if you're going up on Sunday. Maybe we can rendezvous and ride together if you're up this way early enough. Don't want to hold up Kevin waiting; don't know how long it will take to drill out the slave and get things back together.

Would be great to ride together again.

Chuck J

post #34 of 58 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 9:16 am

I'll send you a PM to let you know if I'm going to make it, If you don't hear from me by late Saturday evening I won't be making it.

Fingers are crossed!

Kevin

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #35 of 58 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 6:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
I would REALLy like to attend this, but it looks like I'm going to be working on my heating system for the house all weekend. (yay! )
If it works out I may come up for Sunday, but won't know until I see how much gets done on Saturday.

Maybe we'll need to incorporate the weep hole into a tech session locally when Gerard is ready to do the Wilbers soon?

Kevin
Kevin, I just got back from Belgium and the Wilbers were waiting for me, about 2 weeks late. I have to leave for AZ next weekend, so it will be sometime in October or November before these get put on. There is a slight chance I could join you on Sunday if I get back from NJ on time....

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #36 of 58 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Kevin Cook
Bill Smalley (WAS)
Jim Schuyler
jackd

tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe
surfran - maybe

Bill Hanna - maybe late in the day or the 17th.
ksailor - 17th

OK, I'll try to update this.

Saturday
jackd @ 11am - drilling weep hole.
Jim Schuyler - wants to meet everyone, watch, no drilling
Surfran - slight chance of making it.
wjhanna - short visit either day

Sunday
ksailor @ 10am - drilling weep hole.
KMC1 - maybe
BMWphreak - maybe
Tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe

Can everyone try to copy this list and update their status?

I talked with Jack and he is up for being the first bike to drill on Saturday.

ksailor wants to drill a hole on Sunday morning but we will have time to do quite a few more if everyone is interested. On Sunday who wants to drill a hole and who just wants to watch and meet everyone?

For Saturday, Jack should arrive around 11am so if everyone else wants to arrive around then it would be great. If anyone else actually wants to drill a hole and arrive earlier or later that is fine also, just let me know.

For Sunday, ksailor is arriving around 10am so that will be the start time unless anyone wants to arrive earlier and start working. Just let me know. Toby, I know you might want to start ealier, just say the word.

I think we can do 2-4 bikes at a time without much trouble. I have a pretty good set of directions lined out with pictures. With two sets of hands on a bike 2 hours should be a reasonable time especially if we are just drilling the hole and not installing a new slave cylinder.

I had ordered a slave cylinder to have in case we found someones bike needed one. I hadn't planned to actually change mine but apparently as soon as I scheduled this tech session my slave cylinder decided it was done . I had to use the one I bought so I don't have a spare sitting around anylonger. If we find any leaking, at least you won't ruin your clutch before you can get it fixed.

Thanks,
Kevin

post #37 of 58 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 1:08 pm

Thumbs up

On schedule for Sunday 10AM.

Chuck J

post #38 of 58 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 4:25 pm

I won't make it as I will be in the visually stunning area of Mahwah, NJ! Maybe next time!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #39 of 58 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Thumbs up

So far I am on... still working and don't expect to be back home till about 8 or 9 PM. I will update Kevin via cell after 7:30 am after under way for a while with my ETA. I plan on leaving at 6 AM but I also want to stop for a quick breakfast.

Looks like I will have less than desirable weather until I start heading north on 17..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #40 of 58 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Quote:
OK, I'll try to update this.

Saturday
Surfran - slight chance of making it.

Sunday
KMC1 - maybe
BMWphreak - maybe
Tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe

Can everyone try to copy this list and update their status?

I talked with Jack and he is up for being the first bike to drill on Saturday.

ksailor wants to drill a hole on Sunday morning but we will have time to do quite a few more if everyone is interested. On Sunday who wants to drill a hole and who just wants to watch and meet everyone?

For Saturday, Jack should arrive around 11am so if everyone else wants to arrive around then it would be great. If anyone else actually wants to drill a hole and arrive earlier or later that is fine also, just let me know.

For Sunday, ksailor is arriving around 10am so that will be the start time unless anyone wants to arrive earlier and start working. Just let me know. Toby, I know you might want to start ealier, just say the word.

I think we can do 2-4 bikes at a time without much trouble. I have a pretty good set of directions lined out with pictures. With two sets of hands on a bike 2 hours should be a reasonable time especially if we are just drilling the hole and not installing a new slave cylinder.

I had ordered a slave cylinder to have in case we found someones bike needed one. I hadn't planned to actually change mine but apparently as soon as I scheduled this tech session my slave cylinder decided it was done . I had to use the one I bought so I don't have a spare sitting around anylonger. If we find any leaking, at least you won't ruin your clutch before you can get it fixed.

Thanks,
Kevin
Ok update for me is it looks like I will make it around 11 but will need to leave by ~3ish as I need to put a radiator in my sons car tomorrow evening. But at least I get to make it for a while. Hoping to do an oil change while there as I am not sure I am up for the weep hole yet. Anything I need to bring(besides my oil change stuff?) Any tools etc?

Saturday
Surfran - Looks like 11-3ish .

Sunday
KMC1 - maybe
BMWphreak - maybe
Tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe

BMWMOA # 131660
post #41 of 58 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 6:22 am Thread Starter

Randy,

Glad you can stop by. No tools needed.

See you when you get here.

Kevin

post #42 of 58 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

jackd, jim schuyler and surfran made the trip today. We did jackd's and surfran's slave cylinder. We started around 11am and finished at 3pm, so we were right about 2 hours for each of them. We would have been quicker except we forgot to put the actuation rod back in Randy's bike and had to remove the swing arm again

Both Jack and Randy's slave cylinder's were leaking. Good thing we got the holes drilled before anyone had trouble with their clutch. Including my bike, that is three in a row with leaking slave cylinders.

Overall, not too bad for a bunch of amateurs.

I'm ready to do a few more tomorrow. I know ksailor will be here, I hope the rest of you guys can make it as well. We can do several bikes at a time and I think 2 hours is easy to do. We were on pace to have Randy's done in about 1.5 hours until we had to back up.

Thanks to everyone who made it today, it was great to meet you all.

Kevin

post #43 of 58 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Thanks to Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for hosting the tech and having the right tools. The meatballs were good too.

Maybe I will see Ksailor on my way down to Binghamton on I 81 for the N Y ABATE board meeting at 1000. Depending on the time, I might swing by on my way back after lunch. > a mile out of my way.
post #44 of 58 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Kevin,

Thanks again for hosting the session, having the tools, making it easy (by doing it already), and taking care of my used oil (didn't think about that when I was coming up today). I owe ya one

Jim and Jack thanks for the hands as well. I really had a great time and now I am not so jealous reading about everyone else in the country having tech sessions.

The meatball sandwich was great and the company was greater! Wish I wasn't so tight on time I would have liked to stick around and shoot the bull for a bit. But I did get home in 1hr 20 minutes. Just finished up the son's radiator with him. Took the car for a spin and realized we need to do brakes next. Funny how a car sitting for 6 months goes all to pot (of course she does have 355,000 miles on her).

Bike ran great on the way home so I think we must have gotten it back together right. Funny thing is the rear brakes seam to be working better than ever

Rear drive fluid change tomorrow and transmission and I should be all set.

It was great meeting everyone and look forward to the next time.

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660
post #45 of 58 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Randy,

You forgot your oil filter wrench. Would you like me to mail it to you or should we schedule another another tech. session before you need it?

Kevin

post #46 of 58 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 7:04 am

Kevin,

Figures I would leave something........thought about running up this morning, but wife said NO! Got too many other honey do's and besides I "played" all day yesterday.....they just don't understand it's ALL WORK

Anyhow, probably just hold on to it for now. Next session or maybe a ride, who knows.

Have fun today, tell Chuck (KSailer) I said not to forget to install the rod before reassembly

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660
post #47 of 58 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 4:54 pm

A Great Day!

Kevin: Many thanks for the gracious hospitality and expert guidance with the slave cylinder drilling project.

Slave was good but found a corroded clutch cable swage joint on the fitting to the banjo bolt. It was leaking fluid. Good thing we checked.

Saw this blinding bright lime green streak heading south on I 81 just south of Marathon this AM. Must have been Jim!!!! sorry we didn't get a chance to go for coffee.

Again. A great day of building knowledge and friendships.

Next project is to replace the clutch lower pressure hose.

Thanks again Kevin.

Chuck J

Last edited by ksailor; Sep 17th, 2006 at 7:55 pm.
post #48 of 58 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

I thought I would post the statistics on our little tech session.

Four weep holes drilled.
Three slave cylinders leaking.
Four bikes with corrosion on the clutch line.
One clutch line leaking.
Zero clutches slipping so far.

I think we need to schedule another session to replace clutch lines

Thanks for coming everyone.
Kevin

post #49 of 58 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 3:42 pm
was

Congrats to Kevin and all the wrenchers. I am truely sorry I missed this one. 75% already leaking!!! That is very sobering. Did anyone take pics? Anyone going to write up a step-by-step? Is "Replace actuator rod" step 42 or step 43? )

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #50 of 58 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Thumbs up Thank You

Kevin, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for hosting the tech session. You and your family were very gracious and I'm grateful for the hospitality that you and yours showed me.

As soon as I get some time I'll need to get my parts on the way and maybe if you do another hosting job we could do some of the repairs.. but I think I can do that repair in my garage.. you had some excellent instructions printed and, if possible, I'm sure that everyone would greatly appreciate your handy work. What I saw was just outstanding. With your directions I think I could do the procedure on my own.

Only thing I would add would be a template for the cutout of the 30 MM socket.

I took some pix with my phone when Randy's bike was on the table 'under the wrench'. I didn't think to take some when we were doing mine.. I wonder why!!!!

The fact that my felt was saturated and the clutch hasn't slipped was probably only a very short amount of time..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006-09-18 011.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	6841   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006-09-18 012.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	6842   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006-09-18 013.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	6843  

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in