BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Announcing Tech Session - Sept. 16th

4K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  Steve_R 
#1 ·
OK, I'll pick a date and see if this works for everyone.

September 16th with September 17th as a back-up in case of severe weather that would prevent people from riding on the 16th.

Objective: Drilling weep hole for clutch slave cylinder.
Invited: Anyone who needs this done on their bike, wants to learn how to do it or already knows how to do this service.

Should we all order replacement slave cylinders?
I ordered a tap already in case anyone needs it.
I'll have several 30mm modified sockets to use.

I'm going away for a week so we can plan the remaining details when I return. I wanted to get a date out there so that everyone could make plans early.

Please Respond to this post with your name and screen name if you are planning to attend.

Thanks,
Kevin

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm in

Hi Kevin. Thanks for pulling this together. I'm good for either day unless something unexpected comes up. If the procedure is done at CCR I'll try to document/photo the steps and will distribute to everyone attending the tech session. I'll be traveling/attending CCR from 8/24 - 9/3, so I probably will be out of touch for parts of that time period, will check in again after I return.

Screen name: was
Name: Bill Smalley

#3 ·
That sounds like a good date for me. I need to do a weep hole and eventually a slave cylinder. Not sure I want to pull the clutch down that far from home.

I am going to attempt to work the weekend into my work schedule. At least the 16th as that will probably easier than the 17th.

#4 ·
Good Date

Kevin,

The 16th is one of two Sat in Sept that I will be able to make it. Little fogy in the Tully valley Fri morning. I went down to Bainbridge, N Y to help set up a camp for the vols that will be helping out the flood victims. East of Binghamton area got it bad.

#5 ·
question

is this session just for a modification that is needed on older LT's or will any and all versions be in need of this surgery? I have an 05 LT and have been wondering about this?

#6 ·
Tech Session

Like Toby, I don't know if the '05s need this modification but I'll ask that question in Georgia. Assuming I can get back here by the 16th (I came home from CCR last year by way of Oregon) I'll look forward to attending any session that helps me to better understand how the Orbiter functions.

#7 ·
This weep hole will help every year LT. All year LTs can have clutch slave problems and the design of the slave has the leaking fluid eventually draining/slinging onto the normally dry clutch. Usually the problems have not started showing up mileage wise till about 60k or more. Knowledgable people on this board recommend automatic replacement as a maintenance item at any maintenance cycle above 50K and no later than 60K.

BTW, There seems to be a rash of early failures on '05s with bad slave cylinders and they are still taking out the clutches, so there are no design changes. If you still have warrantee, it's not a really big concern but someday you will run out.. Unless you have a long extended policy.

I'm concerned enough with bad stock to possibly delay ordering my replacement until the bad ones are really gone. Hopefully if I get to do the procedure at the tech session on the 16th. I can also see if mine is so far solid or if it already has signs of failure. I am just at 50K mileage wise.

#9 ·
9/16

kevincook said:
OK, I'll pick a date and see if this works for everyone.

September 16th with September 17th as a back-up in case of severe weather that would prevent people from riding on the 16th.

Objective: Drilling weep hole for clutch slave cylinder.
Invited: Anyone who needs this done on their bike, wants to learn how to do it or already knows how to do this service.

Should we all order replacement slave cylinders?
I ordered a tap already in case anyone needs it.
I'll have several 30mm modified sockets to use.

I'm going away for a week so we can plan the remaining details when I return. I wanted to get a date out there so that everyone could make plans early.

Please Respond to this post with your name and screen name if you are planning to attend.

Thanks,
Kevin
I have a good part of the day committed already on the 16th, but may try to ride down later if I can get free. If it rains, I'll see you on 9/17.

Bill

#10 ·
Oh Mannnn....

Sorry Kevin, I have a wedding on 9/16. I sure was looking forward to the session and meeting all of the guys. Don't mean to pray for rain on the 16th but I sure would be there on Sunday the 17th.

My best to the crew.

WAS Bill.. Sure would be great to see you again.

#11 ·
If it were not for parents weekend at my kids' college, I would ride the 254 miles up to NY to get a hole drilled so as I don't have any clutch problems when my slave cylinder goes! Have a great time...take and post photos!

#12 ·
ksailor said:
WAS Bill.. Sure would be great to see you again.
Ditto, Chuck. But no fear, for anybody who can't make it on the 16th let's just schedule a second tech session for the weep hole dentistry and/or other maintenance. Another excuse to ride, work on the bikes, eat, ride . . .

#13 ·
I am a maybe at this point. Will firm up later, but would at least like to meet some of you and help/watch/learn even if I don't do mine. Glad to see one in our neck of the woods.

#14 ·
No demo, no pics from CCR . . .

Hi all. I had hoped to be able to watch a demo of the slave cylinder drilling and take pics at CCR, but the procedure was not done at the tech session. So, we will need to rely on the info on the forum unless someone who attends has seen the procedure done.

#15 ·
was said:
Hi all. I had hoped to be able to watch a demo of the slave cylinder drilling and take pics at CCR, but the procedure was not done at the tech session. So, we will need to rely on the info on the forum unless someone who attends has seen the procedure done.

Bill, Thanks for trying. I'm sure we will do just fine but if anyone has actually done this and would like to attend that would be great.

I'm going to try and convince my son to be our photographer/videographer for the day and maybe we can be the ones to finally document this procedure for the rest of the forum members. We'll see.

I look forward to seeing everyone.

Kevin

#16 ·
Well it sure would have been nice for one of us to see the procedure but this thread has some good stuff. From the estimates that it would be 2 -4 hours without complications for an experienced wrench but I would imagine that the first one will be an all day affair. I would like to do mine (I have 51K now) but I don't think there will be enough time for two procedures.. unless we had an experienced wrench.. If I was doing it on my own it probably would be a whole weekend..

If I see and help somewhat I would try it on my own. I'm hesitant just to jump in and do it during the season on my own. Riding in from Connecticut it will take us about 4 hours to make Tully so there won't be much time.. Hopefully you won't start too early but I expect that it won't be real late.

Do you have any idea on when you will start?

I assume that if you need any tools other than the special ones that you said you had you would let us know.

Do you have a maintenance CD?

#17 ·
Good Question Jack.

What time would everyone like to start? Maybe a couple of the local guys could start early and get one under our belt and when everyone else arrives we could start on a second set of bikes.

Has anyone that is coming removed the rear swing arm before? It looks like the only part that might be a pain in the neck. The rest looks pretty straight forward.

I don't have any spare bedrooms but if anyone wants to come up Friday night your more than welcome to crash on one of those inflatable beds or there is a Best Western 1/4 mile away. Anyone travelling is welcome to stay over Saturday night also. We could finish up anyone's bike Sunday morning if that would be necessary. Let me know.

We should be all set for tools. If anything unexpected turns up I can run down to the plant and borrow just about anything we would need.

This is what I sorted out from the listing so far about who can make it. I'm more than willing to extend this into Sunday if that helps anyone out. With the number of people plagued by this problem I'd like to see as many people as possible have it corrected.

Kevin Cook
Bill Smalley (WAS)
Jim Schuyler
jackd

tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe
surfran - maybe

Bill Hanna - maybe late in the day or the 17th.
ksailor - 17th

Thanks,
Kevin

#18 ·
I'll probably come up in the morning. I stay at enough hotels.. :(

I wanted to do mine but I'm somewhat hesitant to tear the bike down that far from home. But if it goes really well I will put my on the 'table'.. ;)

I notice from the pictures that we need to drill up into the boss. I would imagine that the drill hole needs to be down the boss at a depth equal to the depth that the slave fits into the boss minus a MM and then half the drill bit diameter on top of that.. Now my question is how do we determine if the drill angel is correct. A degree or two could cause us to miss the sweet spot altogether.. Should we make a jig or tool to align the drill parallel to the top of the boss? Is it a problem to see if the drill is not going straight?

#19 ·
Hi Kevin et al. As it turns out, I'm going to have to miss the tech session altogether. A bunch of stuff has come up and there is no way that I can get away next weekend. Good luck with the project, and everyone ride safe.

#20 ·
Bill, sorry you can't make it but if your schedule changes just show up, your more than welcome.

Hey the good news is that someone is going to be at the tech session that has done this before......me ;) .

I didn't plan it this way but I noticed that my clutch fluid was low on Tuesday so I took the bike apart on Tuesday night. It only took 45 minutes to have it all disassembled and I have never done this before.

My slave cylinder was leaking but I caught it in time. I had to wait for the socket to be machined so that I could reassemble the bike. I just picked the socket up around 8pm tonight and have everything pretty much put back together. I just came in to see how to bleed the clutch before I put the side panel back on.

I think we'll be able to get these done in under 3 hours without any trouble. Maybe close to 2 hours if nothing goes wrong.

I have been taking a ton of pictures and trying to document each step which has slowed me down quite a bit but I still only have 3-3.5 hours into the job.

I'll have step by step instructions written up with pictures before next weekend. Also a list of the tools for each step and I'll have those all layed out so we don't have to spend any time looking for the right sizes (like I did).

Thanks,
Kevin

#21 ·
wjhanna, ksailor,

If you guys can't make it on the 16th and would like to come up on the 17th we can take care of both your bikes.

Anyone else that can't make the 16th is also welcome on the 17th.

I figure if we do them while it is still fresh in my mind then everything will go faster.

Thanks,
Kevin

#23 ·
Kevin that sounds like plan.. I hope to be there hopefully before 11 AM as I have a 4.5 hour ride across I-84, up RT 17 and I-81 to Tully. I'm now thinking if I can get mine done it would be great.. I have been watching my fluid and it hasn't moved but the boot being sucked in it can be deceiving in the sight glass. I know I need to to the task this season no matter what.

#25 · (Edited)
Kevin: PM me your directions and I'll see you next Sunday AM. What time?

I live right off of RT 17 near I-81. I could wait for anyone coming from downstate or JackD from CT and ride together if that makes sense. Ohterwise I could ride up early.

Thoughts?? Jack??

#26 ·
ksailor, I think your the only one on Sunday so far. Jack is coming up Saturday.

I'll post directions and a map tonight for everyone.

Chuck anytime you want to start on Sunday is fine with me, I'll be ready to go.

Thanks,
Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.