BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Announcing Tech Session - Sept. 16th

4K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  Steve_R 
#1 ·
OK, I'll pick a date and see if this works for everyone.

September 16th with September 17th as a back-up in case of severe weather that would prevent people from riding on the 16th.

Objective: Drilling weep hole for clutch slave cylinder.
Invited: Anyone who needs this done on their bike, wants to learn how to do it or already knows how to do this service.

Should we all order replacement slave cylinders?
I ordered a tap already in case anyone needs it.
I'll have several 30mm modified sockets to use.

I'm going away for a week so we can plan the remaining details when I return. I wanted to get a date out there so that everyone could make plans early.

Please Respond to this post with your name and screen name if you are planning to attend.

Thanks,
Kevin

See less See more
#27 ·
Here are a couple of maps to my house.

Located just off Interstate 81 about 25 miles south of Syracuse and 60 miles north of Binghamton, NY.

What time would anyone like to start. I'll be read to go early.

My house is a white cape. The only white house in the development. If anyone needs my phone number send me a PM and I'll give you my cell number. Just in case you running late or run in to trouble on the way.

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

#29 ·
Spare L T

I wanted to do mine but I'm somewhat hesitant to tear the bike down that far from home. But if it goes really well I will put my on the 'table'.. ;)

Jack,

Don't worry, I have a spare L T 2000 to get you home in case we run into problems.

#30 ·
Jim_Schuyler said:
I wanted to do mine but I'm somewhat hesitant to tear the bike down that far from home. But if it goes really well I will put my on the 'table'.. ;)

Jack,

Don't worry, I have a spare L T 2000 to get you home in case we run into problems.
Jim, That is a great fall back plan. That is one of my concerns and that is why I want to do Saturday. Hope everything works out weather wise. This will be a 520 mile round trip for me if everything goes well. I'm fighting off work already.... :(

#31 ·
outpatient surgery

surfran said:
I am a maybe at this point. Will firm up later, but would at least like to meet some of you and help/watch/learn even if I don't do mine. Glad to see one in our neck of the woods.
I can't spend a lot of time either of those days, but would like to ride down and meet the riders and get an idea for what the whole thing is. What time? I shouldn't have any trouble finding the house.

#32 ·
I would REALLy like to attend this, but it looks like I'm going to be working on my heating system for the house all weekend. (yay! :rolleyes: )
If it works out I may come up for Sunday, but won't know until I see how much gets done on Saturday.

Maybe we'll need to incorporate the weep hole into a tech session locally when Gerard is ready to do the Wilbers soon? ;)

Kevin

#33 ·
Kmc1

kmc1 Kev - Let me know Sat night if you're going up on Sunday. Maybe we can rendezvous and ride together if you're up this way early enough. Don't want to hold up Kevin waiting; don't know how long it will take to drill out the slave and get things back together.

Would be great to ride together again.

#35 ·
KMC1 said:
I would REALLy like to attend this, but it looks like I'm going to be working on my heating system for the house all weekend. (yay! :rolleyes: )
If it works out I may come up for Sunday, but won't know until I see how much gets done on Saturday.

Maybe we'll need to incorporate the weep hole into a tech session locally when Gerard is ready to do the Wilbers soon? ;)

Kevin
Kevin, I just got back from Belgium and the Wilbers were waiting for me, about 2 weeks late. I have to leave for AZ next weekend, so it will be sometime in October or November before these get put on. There is a slight chance I could join you on Sunday if I get back from NJ on time....

#36 ·
kevincook said:
Kevin Cook
Bill Smalley (WAS)
Jim Schuyler
jackd

tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe
surfran - maybe

Bill Hanna - maybe late in the day or the 17th.
ksailor - 17th

OK, I'll try to update this.

Saturday
jackd @ 11am - drilling weep hole.
Jim Schuyler - wants to meet everyone, watch, no drilling
Surfran - slight chance of making it.
wjhanna - short visit either day

Sunday
ksailor @ 10am - drilling weep hole.
KMC1 - maybe
BMWphreak - maybe
Tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe

Can everyone try to copy this list and update their status?

I talked with Jack and he is up for being the first bike to drill on Saturday.

ksailor wants to drill a hole on Sunday morning but we will have time to do quite a few more if everyone is interested. On Sunday who wants to drill a hole and who just wants to watch and meet everyone?

For Saturday, Jack should arrive around 11am so if everyone else wants to arrive around then it would be great. If anyone else actually wants to drill a hole and arrive earlier or later that is fine also, just let me know.

For Sunday, ksailor is arriving around 10am so that will be the start time unless anyone wants to arrive earlier and start working. Just let me know. Toby, I know you might want to start ealier, just say the word.

I think we can do 2-4 bikes at a time without much trouble. I have a pretty good set of directions lined out with pictures. With two sets of hands on a bike 2 hours should be a reasonable time especially if we are just drilling the hole and not installing a new slave cylinder.

I had ordered a slave cylinder to have in case we found someones bike needed one. I hadn't planned to actually change mine but apparently as soon as I scheduled this tech session my slave cylinder decided it was done :( . I had to use the one I bought so I don't have a spare sitting around anylonger. If we find any leaking, at least you won't ruin your clutch before you can get it fixed.

Thanks,
Kevin

#38 ·
I won't make it as I will be in the visually stunning area of Mahwah, NJ! Maybe next time!

#39 ·
So far I am on... still working and don't expect to be back home till about 8 or 9 PM. I will update Kevin via cell after 7:30 am after under way for a while with my ETA. I plan on leaving at 6 AM but I also want to stop for a quick breakfast.

Looks like I will have less than desirable weather until I start heading north on 17..

#40 ·
kevincook said:
OK, I'll try to update this.

Saturday
Surfran - slight chance of making it.

Sunday
KMC1 - maybe
BMWphreak - maybe
Tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe

Can everyone try to copy this list and update their status?

I talked with Jack and he is up for being the first bike to drill on Saturday.

ksailor wants to drill a hole on Sunday morning but we will have time to do quite a few more if everyone is interested. On Sunday who wants to drill a hole and who just wants to watch and meet everyone?

For Saturday, Jack should arrive around 11am so if everyone else wants to arrive around then it would be great. If anyone else actually wants to drill a hole and arrive earlier or later that is fine also, just let me know.

For Sunday, ksailor is arriving around 10am so that will be the start time unless anyone wants to arrive earlier and start working. Just let me know. Toby, I know you might want to start ealier, just say the word.

I think we can do 2-4 bikes at a time without much trouble. I have a pretty good set of directions lined out with pictures. With two sets of hands on a bike 2 hours should be a reasonable time especially if we are just drilling the hole and not installing a new slave cylinder.

I had ordered a slave cylinder to have in case we found someones bike needed one. I hadn't planned to actually change mine but apparently as soon as I scheduled this tech session my slave cylinder decided it was done :( . I had to use the one I bought so I don't have a spare sitting around anylonger. If we find any leaking, at least you won't ruin your clutch before you can get it fixed.

Thanks,
Kevin
Ok update for me is it looks like I will make it around 11 but will need to leave by ~3ish as I need to put a radiator in my sons car tomorrow evening. But at least I get to make it for a while. Hoping to do an oil change while there as I am not sure I am up for the weep hole yet. Anything I need to bring(besides my oil change stuff?) Any tools etc?

Saturday
Surfran - Looks like 11-3ish :D .

Sunday
KMC1 - maybe
BMWphreak - maybe
Tobiwan - maybe
docedkin - maybe

#42 ·
jackd, jim schuyler and surfran made the trip today. We did jackd's and surfran's slave cylinder. We started around 11am and finished at 3pm, so we were right about 2 hours for each of them. We would have been quicker except we forgot to put the actuation rod back in Randy's bike and had to remove the swing arm again :eek: :eek:

Both Jack and Randy's slave cylinder's were leaking. Good thing we got the holes drilled before anyone had trouble with their clutch. Including my bike, that is three in a row with leaking slave cylinders. :(

Overall, not too bad for a bunch of amateurs.

I'm ready to do a few more tomorrow. I know ksailor will be here, I hope the rest of you guys can make it as well. We can do several bikes at a time and I think 2 hours is easy to do. We were on pace to have Randy's done in about 1.5 hours until we had to back up.

Thanks to everyone who made it today, it was great to meet you all.

Kevin

#43 ·
Thanks to Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for hosting the tech and having the right tools. The meatballs were good too.

Maybe I will see Ksailor on my way down to Binghamton on I 81 for the N Y ABATE board meeting at 1000. Depending on the time, I might swing by on my way back after lunch. > a mile out of my way.

#44 ·
Kevin,

Thanks again for hosting the session, having the tools, making it easy (by doing it already), and taking care of my used oil (didn't think about that when I was coming up today). I owe ya one :beer:

Jim and Jack thanks for the hands as well. I really had a great time and now I am not so jealous reading about everyone else in the country having tech sessions.

The meatball sandwich was great and the company was greater! Wish I wasn't so tight on time I would have liked to stick around and shoot the bull for a bit. But I did get home in 1hr 20 minutes. Just finished up the son's radiator with him. Took the car for a spin and realized we need to do brakes next. Funny how a car sitting for 6 months goes all to pot (of course she does have 355,000 miles on her).

Bike ran great on the way home so I think we must have gotten it back together right. Funny thing is the rear brakes seam to be working better than ever ;)

Rear drive fluid change tomorrow and transmission and I should be all set.

It was great meeting everyone and look forward to the next time.

Randy

#46 ·
Kevin,

Figures I would leave something........thought about running up this morning, but wife said NO! Got too many other honey do's and besides I "played" all day yesterday.....they just don't understand it's ALL WORK :rolleyes:

Anyhow, probably just hold on to it for now. Next session or maybe a ride, who knows.

Have fun today, tell Chuck (KSailer) I said not to forget to install the rod before reassembly ;)

Randy

#47 · (Edited)
A Great Day!

Kevin: Many thanks for the gracious hospitality and expert guidance with the slave cylinder drilling project.

Slave was good but found a corroded clutch cable swage joint on the fitting to the banjo bolt. It was leaking fluid. Good thing we checked.

Saw this blinding bright lime green streak heading south on I 81 just south of Marathon this AM. Must have been Jim!!!! sorry we didn't get a chance to go for coffee.

Again. A great day of building knowledge and friendships.

Next project is to replace the clutch lower pressure hose.

Thanks again Kevin.

#48 ·
I thought I would post the statistics on our little tech session.

Four weep holes drilled. :)
Three slave cylinders leaking. :(
Four bikes with corrosion on the clutch line. :(
One clutch line leaking. :(
Zero clutches slipping so far. :D :D :D

I think we need to schedule another session to replace clutch lines :confused:

Thanks for coming everyone.
Kevin

#49 ·
Congrats to Kevin and all the wrenchers. I am truely sorry I missed this one. 75% already leaking!!! That is very sobering. Did anyone take pics? Anyone going to write up a step-by-step? Is "Replace actuator rod" step 42 or step 43? :))

#50 ·
Thank You

Kevin, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for hosting the tech session. You and your family were very gracious and I'm grateful for the hospitality that you and yours showed me.

As soon as I get some time I'll need to get my parts on the way and maybe if you do another hosting job we could do some of the repairs.. but I think I can do that repair in my garage.. you had some excellent instructions printed and, if possible, I'm sure that everyone would greatly appreciate your handy work. What I saw was just outstanding. With your directions I think I could do the procedure on my own. :thumb:

Only thing I would add would be a template for the cutout of the 30 MM socket.

I took some pix with my phone when Randy's bike was on the table 'under the wrench'. I didn't think to take some when we were doing mine.. I wonder why!!!!

The fact that my felt was saturated :eek: and the clutch hasn't slipped was probably only a very short amount of time.. :(

Attachments

#51 ·
was said:
Congrats to Kevin and all the wrenchers. I am truely sorry I missed this one. 75% already leaking!!! That is very sobering. Did anyone take pics? Anyone going to write up a step-by-step? Is "Replace actuator rod" step 42 or step 43? :))
Seems I was a little late... with my post..

Kevin had outstanding instructions.. Looking at them and going through them once it should not be an issue making them work.. There were some tricks and gotchas... but overall we were done with mine in two hours.. Randy's bike was done in just over that and through an oversight some of the steps had to be redone.. forgot to put the actuator rod back in... :D ... EZ.. to tell as the clutch lever would not move.. don't understand why but we figured it out real quick.. had a good laugh :eek: and got back to work... after all we had a great lunch waiting! Wouldn't you know this time the swingarm didn't just slip in.. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.