Kenwood FRS radio test? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:43 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Westbrook, CT, USA
Posts: 105
Kenwood FRS radio test?

I posted this in the Intercomm forum:

"I have the BMW (J&M) headsets with the PPT button I got from my dealer. I have it attached to a brand new Midland GXT600 unit. Of course the Midland has the mic and speaker backwards from J&M (3/8" and 1/4" swapped - The rest of the world uses 1/4" for headphones except BMW) but a couple of converters solved that.

I receive signals in the speakers in the helmet, but the PPT and mic do not work with the Midland. Is my PPT button not working? ARe the compatable? I put in the cheapo headset and mic that came with the midland and it works just fine. I see the TX light come on when I push the button on those. But nothing when I hook up the BMW PPT button.

Anyone ever try to integrate these two brands? Am I stuck going with a kenwood to get this to work?"

Anyone in Central CT have a kenwood I can test my BMW setup with to make sure its working before I try and take it back to the dealer?

Thanks Brian
fitsman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 3:02 pm
Gold Supporter
 
Lonewuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Magnolia, TX, USA
Posts: 3,872
Try turning off the comm system and turning it back on. For some reason when I switch from the CB and want to use my FRS I have to do this.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lonewuff is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 3:43 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Westbrook, CT, USA
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Try turning off the comm system and turning it back on. For some reason when I switch from the CB and want to use my FRS I have to do this.
I do not have the comm system. I have it directly connected to the FRS Radio. Do I have to have a comm system? The dealer said nothing about that.
fitsman is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 4:21 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Boerne, TX, USA
Posts: 138
fitsman,

I believe your GXT600 Midland radio has an internal VOX (voice activation) setting that is used to transmit with an external mic and headset without pressing the radio's PTT. If so, I think you can get the radio to work through your system by switching the GXT600 to the VOX setting. Now, when connected to your PTT switch you are able to use the radio's VOX by opening the transmit circuit with the PTT which allows you to transmit using the internal VOX. I could be wrong here, but I think the problem is that your PTT switch doesn't work the same way that the one that comes with the radio does. My neighbor has his GXT FRS/GMRS set up through his Baehr system and that's what we had to do to get it to work. The only downside is that when you release the PTT the VOX takes a couple of seconds to terminate. As a result, your riding partner will have to wait for the termination of VOX before he/she begins to transmit, or the first part of that transmission will be lost. My neighbor/riding partner and I have had great success with this arrangement.

Bill Edwards
1jusbill1 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 8:42 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Westbrook, CT, USA
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jusbill1
fitsman,

I believe your GXT600 Midland radio has an internal VOX (voice activation) setting that is used to transmit with an external mic and headset without pressing the radio's PTT. If so, I think you can get the radio to work through your system by switching the GXT600 to the VOX setting. Now, when connected to your PTT switch you are able to use the radio's VOX by opening the transmit circuit with the PTT which allows you to transmit using the internal VOX. I could be wrong here, but I think the problem is that your PTT switch doesn't work the same way that the one that comes with the radio does. My neighbor has his GXT FRS/GMRS set up through his Baehr system and that's what we had to do to get it to work. The only downside is that when you release the PTT the VOX takes a couple of seconds to terminate. As a result, your riding partner will have to wait for the termination of VOX before he/she begins to transmit, or the first part of that transmission will be lost. My neighbor/riding partner and I have had great success with this arrangement.

Bill Edwards
I beileve I tried the VOX setting and it did not work. I will try that again and post the results. Thanks.
fitsman is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 8:55 pm
Senior Member
 
McRuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakehills, TX, USA
Posts: 874
&@*%(*$# thing...!

I have the J&M headset, the VoiceII, the BMW PTT swich, the BMW/Kenwood cable AND the Kenwood radios. I can hear but when I PTT, all I get is 'broken squelch' and no audio! So getting the Kenwood radios doesn't solve everyone's problem! I've given up, going to take the whole mess into the dealer and tell them it's a warranty issue (after all, the instructions with the PTT and/or BMW cable specify a Kenwood) and to do whatever is necessary to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsman
I posted this in the Intercomm forum:

"I have the BMW (J&M) headsets with the PPT button I got from my dealer. I have it attached to a brand new Midland GXT600 unit. Of course the Midland has the mic and speaker backwards from J&M (3/8" and 1/4" swapped - The rest of the world uses 1/4" for headphones except BMW) but a couple of converters solved that.

I receive signals in the speakers in the helmet, but the PPT and mic do not work with the Midland. Is my PPT button not working? ARe the compatable? I put in the cheapo headset and mic that came with the midland and it works just fine. I see the TX light come on when I push the button on those. But nothing when I hook up the BMW PPT button.

Anyone ever try to integrate these two brands? Am I stuck going with a kenwood to get this to work?"

Anyone in Central CT have a kenwood I can test my BMW setup with to make sure its working before I try and take it back to the dealer?

Thanks Brian

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
McRuss is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 9:01 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Westbrook, CT, USA
Posts: 105
Ok, did some checking. Checked the PPT button that came on the cheapo headset and mic that came with the Midland. I Ohm'd out the 3/32" plug and when I push the button the circuit does close (on the tip), like it should. On the BMW unit while doing the same with the 1/8" plug (both the tip and lower band) when I push the button the circuit is open, never closes..which is why it does not work.

Can someone else with the BMW FreeTalk Harness (the 6 pin version that plugs into the BMW Headset) verify that mine is messed up. Like I said in my first post, the 3/32" plug is wired to the speakers in the headset, but the radio's output is 1/8" (like everything else in the world). I cannot verify that the mic is even wired right to the 1/8" plug as it does not ohm out correctly. I think My wiring harness was made wrong at the factory. Can anyone else out there verify this for me?
fitsman is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 6:34 am
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 83
I picked up the cable and ptt button from dealer yesterday (the dealer installed the ptt for free while I was drinking a coffee) plugged the freetalk 3131 into the Voice II and gave the parts counter guy the extra Motorola talkabout I had brought to test. I could hear him crystal clear but he could only hear me keying no audio. I came home and checked my mike boom on the BMW/J&M headseat, the mike was facing away from my mouth. retested with the mike facing me and works great. I put a couple small drops of red paint on the mike boom to indicate direction ( with the foam rubber on both flat surfaces feel the same) as my boom will move around and turn when putting on and taking off ect.
jdhargrave is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 8:41 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Redlands, CA, USA
Posts: 439
The BMW push-to-talk button has four wiring terminals on the switch. two terminals are for momentary on and two are for momentary off. I think the momentary off side has a red dot between them. You can check this with a continuity meter. Make sure that the terminals that you hook your radio to are the momentary on side of the switch.
BEhrler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio just quit atps1234 K1200LT 62 May 29th, 2017 10:43 pm
Sirius Radio on the LT JMMRoad Satellite Radio 8 Jun 18th, 2006 10:10 pm
Radio flickering KMC1 K1200LT 3 Jun 7th, 2006 10:50 pm
French Test of K1200GT eljeffe K1200/1300GT (The Next Generation) 2 Apr 8th, 2006 5:29 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome