Tech Session for Slave Cylinder Drilling? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Tech Session for Slave Cylinder Drilling?

Is anyone interested in a tech session with the specific objective of just doing the slave cylinder weep hole drilling?

I'm new and have never even been to a tech session so I don't know if I am even qualified to host one. Maybe another expert around here would be more appropriate or there is a more centralized location to host one.

What are your thoughts? If a slave cylinder goes that is one thing but to have it take out the clutch is not acceptable to me. If we do this is there anything else that we should do at the same time?

Thanks,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 7:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Lots in common

Hi Kevin,

You're a new rider and your first bike is an LT? Interesting choice... same here. (unless you count the Honda 600 I had for 3 weeks before buying the LT)

Anyway: yes, I'd like to get the slave cylinder preventative drill-thing done. You're a little far away for me to attend your tech session, but I'll bet others will jump at the chance. All it takes is one person who knows where and how to drill the hole. That info is on this site, but I'm not that adventurous to do it myself.

If you're going to CCR it may be demonstrated there.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:19 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Set to drill

I recently bought a 6" and 8" drill bit (1/8" or 3.2mm) to do this mod. If this can be demonstrated at the CCR, would probably generate interest. Understand removal of clutch master cylinder is advised first, but as a
pro-active step, better to do so prior to failure and hence clutch contamination.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 3:22 pm

Kevin: Very interested... haven't done mine yet, but have done all the 12K service and other mods. You're pretty close. Also check with Jim Schuyler in E. Syracuse. I'd love to lend a hand. No sweat hosting one... garage floor, tools and plenty of coffee will do. Keep me advised.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 6:10 pm
was

I'm interested. If no-one in the area has seen or done one (true for me), I hope to see one at CCR (lots of interest) and will try to take notes and pictures. I'll be back in the northeast early Sept.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 6:47 pm

I'm in if date is free

Kevin,

If the date is free for me, I'll be there. Got my old Lt (2000) back today from Heids. New main seal, clutch, valves- 3 buckets & one swap, fluids, hitch install. $1150.00 . 102,000 miles.

Yankee Beemer rally in Heath, Mass (Berkshires) tomorrow.

Country Rode can't figure out the fix on my 05. Fixed fuel pump and same problem 3-400 miles later. 21,000 miles.
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 9:02 pm

I might be interested in at least observing. Haven't done it, would like to, but sure we can't do everyones either. If timing is after August I will most likely be able to make it. Nice to see a tech session that may end up in a reasonable location for me to participate and meet some of you.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 9:12 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
I'm interested. If no-one in the area has seen or done one (true for me), I hope to see one at CCR (lots of interest) and will try to take notes and pictures. I'll be back in the northeast early Sept.
Bill, I would like to be at that session..

That is on my list of things to do and I would like to participate. I looked at the slave cylinder change procedure in the tech manual and all the stuff that has to be removed intimidates me. I'm moving almost at 50K and want to change the slave as a preventive thing but with all the slave cylinder early end of life in the new models I'm sort of wondering if I wouldn't be better just doing the weep hole till the issue gets resolved..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

It looks like there is some interest. I'm thinking the second half of september would give us plenty of time to make plans. I'm pretty flexible though, I'd just like to get it done before the end of the riding season around here.

I think we could get quite a few bikes done in a day.

Who has some suggestions for dates? September 16th, 17th, 24th and 30th look good for me.

Kevin

post #10 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 5:23 am

All dates in Sept are OK for me.

Randy - You going to FingerLakes Rally? I'll be making alternate plans to do my own riding on Labor Day.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 5:40 am

My Vacation

I should be somewhere in VT, NH, or NY by Labor day (Monday 4 Sep). I could probably use some company by then. I am starting out on the evening of Fri 25 Aug. Anyone interested in a ride over that weekend, send me a PM. Here is the approximate route.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf My Vacation.pdf (111.1 KB, 56 views)
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 7:50 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
Who has some suggestions for dates? September 16th, 17th, 24th and 30th look good for me.

Kevin
Kevin, all dates are good for me and I will hold them all until the date is confirmed. I'll try to take good pics and notes of the procedures if they are done at CCR, and will try to post them on this forum before the tech session so folks who are interested can review ahead of time.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Jim,

Did you have any preference for a date? I'm going on vacation in a couple of days so if nobody mentions a particular date between now and when I leave I'll just pick one and we'll see how that goes.

I'm willing to host the event at my place unless someone has a better alternative. I have a 24x24 garage and plenty of space in the driveway to park bikes. I'm right off Interstate 81 so getting here is pretty easy also.

BTW, I ordered a tap for the swing arm in case anyone has threads that are damaged. This was mentioned in a couple of previous posts about the slave cylinder. I'll order some sockets today and have them modified.

Do we need a lift for this work? If so, I'll have to ask around and see if I can find anyone that I can borrow them from.

Thanks,
Kevin

post #14 of 14 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:13 am

tech needed

i would be very interested in the tech session. Is this procedure only needed only on the older models or any and all of this really great bike?

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in