interesting news - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:25 am Thread Starter

interesting news

I have a friend that works for the East Hartford, CT Dept of Health, she tells me that Gengras is opening an import Motorcycle shop to include BMW next to their Harley Shop. Not sure of the timing but the permits were in the works last week.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Man.... I seriously HOPE you are right on this one!!!
Course this means there's a good chance I could end up with an Electraglide one of these times I go in for a service on the LT......

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 6:29 pm

What... You guys are not supporting the local dealer in Danbury?????

Kevin; did you get the connector fixed? What was the outcome? Inquirning minds want to know.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 7:30 pm

Hey Chuck,
Actually I'm waiting to do a complete run down for you all as there are a couple of issues that came up last minute but here's how it went down so far.
I called them on Tues. AM right after they opened, about 9:30 and was put into voicemail, so I waited a while. I called back around 10:30 and spoke to Chris in Service. I told him that I had taken the bike in for;
1) a new tire
2) ABS fault
3) a clanging rear rotor
4) A once over to be as sure as possible that I'd done what I could to avoid a breakdown as I was going to be putting on some miles for the week. (end up at about 3200 miles for the 8 days.)
It cost me $800.00 and the bike was at 8400 miles total.
I got it back and had:
1) ABS fault re-occur
2) told the rotor was "normal" and "they all do it" - yet out of the 7 bikes at our tech session mine was by far the worst.
3) The once over I paid for seemed to me to not have been done as a) my engine oil was a half quart low b) the brake fluid was low and c) I know that the coolant was NOT flushed although I was charged for it.
4) I now had the new problem of the fuel leak.
I was told that the ABS fault code was not definitive, the rotor was in fact normal, I must be measuring the oil and brake fluid incorrectly and the coolant wa definitely changed if I had been charged for it. He then went on to tell me that they had nothing to do with the fuel leak, it wasn't their fault, must be something we did while doing the lights etc.
At this point I lost it and told him point blank if he wanted to blame me for the fuel leak etc. that was fine with me, it's just a shame there aren't more dealers around and that I really didn't mind if they didn't value me as a customer, but that I was absolutely dissapointed in the service I had recieved and very dissatisfied. I had only to say those words and credit where credit due, he asked me to wait a minute and came back on the phone and asked me if they could pick up the bike ASAP, bring it to them, and return it to me the following night in time to start packing for my trip. I verified with him whether this would be at my expense or what - answer was no way, they would take care of everything at no cost and have it back to me the next night. I said OK, but in truth did not believe him. I figured I would be riding my Daytona for the trip - which would not have been fun....
The truck pulled up by 1:30PM and took the bike. Bike was returned to me at 5:30 PM the next night as promised. Work that was done:
1) Retested the ABS - no fault could be found (I really think we nailed it with the fluid level problem)
2) Rear rotor replaced under warranty, new pads installed. Rattle is gone completely, although the screaming fingernails on the chalk board are there at low speeds. I'll take it this way thank you as at least I'm not freaking out the rotor is going to shatter.
3) Fuel leak diagnosed as a torn O-ring in the connector and replaced. Seems to be fixed.

Now, here's the problem, if you may or may not remember, we got 3.5" of rain the Weds. they had the bike, and when I got it the seat (Kontour) was soaked solid, so it was left out in the rain during the day. I pushed the bike to the garage and the driver split. I figured I'd start getting my stuff together, make a tool kit start packing etc. so I turned on the radio to have some music in the garage while I worked..... radio showed a lower case letter "d" with two square boxes next to it, with a bunch of lines through them.... the amber light in the radio and buttons was flickering - radio would not come on.. I immediately called and spoke to Chris again and was told that it had nothing to do with them, they were never on that side of the bike etc..... I explained it worked when it left.... I tried the disconnect the battery trick (in fact I bought a new battery after I killed the other one with the lights so took the oportunity to put it in as long as I was in there) and still nothing. I stopped in on my way out to Scranton and they took a look at it, the service manager (can't remember his name) said the radio was shot and was about to give up the ghost, they were going to put in a warranty claim and when I got back would change it out for me. I will call them tomorrow to find out status on that. It sucked making sucha long ride with no radio, but otherwise the bike ran GREAT! In fact, the new lighting is AMAZING and was VERY usefull on this ride! I think I may be a little bright on low beam for city driving, on the highway it's lighting up 5 or 6 lanes wide no problem with the PIAA's angled outboard, and the high beam HID although not aim properly yet, literally lights up reflectors out at LEAST 3/4 mile if not more! Unreal! THANK YOU AGAIN GUYS!!!! Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!
So that's where it's at... Man I just spent the money on the seat, the lights, the service and the tire...the trip, the Airhead rally.... ARGH... and now I'm at 11,700 miles.....so I may as well do the 12k service while the radio is being replaced........ ARGH........ Dollar per mile this thing is KILLING ME!!!!!

Look forward to getting together with you guys again soon, we should do a Sunday AM ride sometime soon!

Kevin

post #5 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Smile wow

The only thing about Gengras is that I have heard bad things about thier Harley service so we will see. Good to have you back in one peice. I take your trip was great. Anyimte you guys want to ride on a sunday would be great. I have been commuting to FL and will be for the next couple of months. So I try and ride on the weekends as much as possible. I have been meaning to get up to Kent for sometime but have not. we should really plan something very soon. Let me know. Hey maybe we could doa 12k service for a tech session save some big bucks for ya.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #6 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Well we sure don't need another dealer that doesn't service us!
I'd be up for doing another tech session sometime. If you guys want to do another one and use my bike as the guinea pig, I'll take it. I may even be able to bring some extra screws in case we lose any...............
Commuting to Fl eh? Well, that's the last time I complain about MY drive to work!
You name the Sunday and I'll try to be there, my SO is ITCHING to get out for a ride now that I'm back all smiles.... she doesn't know it's mostly cause I was able to get away from her for the week, but hey I'll take it! LOL.... Nooooooo I'm kidding (sort of) Actually it's cause I caught the best trout of my life while I was in Nantahala... still smiling and probably will be for a while over that one..........

post #7 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 10:39 pm

Kevin,

I'm glad things seem to be working out for you with our friend [email protected]#$. I'm surprised they didn't blame the radio malfunction on your HID lights! I am up for a ride this Sunday, if you guys are...

Peace

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #8 of 21 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 5:20 am

This would be very helpful to me as I only live 5 minutes from there. Kind of tired having to ride 40 minutes through traffic to get to the Canton Cycles for every little thing. Although they have been very helpful up there. I did hear they were going to open a Ducati dealer, but not BMW.
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

sunday works for me.

Any takers on a ride this sunday?I will double check with SO just to make sure she has not planned anything for the weekend while i am stuck here in FL.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #10 of 21 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsman
This would be very helpful to me as I only live 5 minutes from there. Kind of tired having to ride 40 minutes through traffic to get to the Canton Cycles for every little thing. Although they have been very helpful up there. I did hear they were going to open a Ducati dealer, but not BMW.
My friedn seemed to know about the Ducati thing as well she mentioned two; Ducati and BMW but could not remember the third brand. Oh well, we have to wait and see.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #11 of 21 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Sorry I won't be able to make it. Daughter graduates Saturday... kin-folk party on Sunday.

Will be thinking about you guys!!

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #12 of 21 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 6:13 pm

interesting news

Rumor has it that Gengras is buying out Canton Cycles BMW & Triumph lines. I spoke with people at Canton with no confirmation.
Cliff's has been notorious for poor service.
I also have three friends who seem to be very happy with Gengras' Harley service but I sure will miss Canton if they go away I always had good results from them.
post #13 of 21 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Ah. I thought we would see an addition to the dealer network, not just a change of location. I've had good luck with Canton with my Triumph and overall have had good buying accesories etc from them also. I haven't purchased from them though as I had a couple of uncomfortable experiences there when I was shopping for the LT and decided to go with the old Lindner shop before I found out they were going out of business. Darn. Let's hope the rumors turn out to be somewhat true and we end up with an additional dealer local to us. You have to figure with the new attitude and models coming from Germany, it's going to be a great time to be a dealer if you can get approved, although I did read BMW was putting the focus on Europe and not The U.S.

post #14 of 21 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 8:06 pm

Kevin,

Sounds like you had a great trip! What could be better than Riding and Fishing?
I hope you get that new dealer. Might be just the thing to straighten out your friend in Danbury(competition). Then again, maybe not.
Would love to see the fellas tear into a 12K service. Just let me know and I'll be there!
If you guys ride on Sunday post the details and maybe I can meet you somewhere. Supposed to fish Sat. If I can drag myself out of bed on Sunday, I might make it.

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #15 of 21 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:00 pm

Hey Smitty! (and all of you guys!)
Yeah I really did have a great time down there. I met a bunch of new people while I was out on the road and had a great time exploring fishing areas. Caught the best trout of my life on a cheapie collapsable fly rod in a stream that was so clear I could count the rocks on the bottom at almost 100 feet. Trout measured from the tip of my middle finger () to the nook of my elbow with about 1/2" of tail left over... not too shabby....
I'm up for a Sunday ride, although I'm not sure if you guys would want to go when it's sunny and warm out?
Don't really care where so whatever is decided I'm most likely in.

Kevin

post #16 of 21 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 7:28 am

Back about 18 months ago, I was fortunate enough to have Cliff throw me out of his establishment, ending a multi year personal friendship. This was over a service "difference of opinion".

One of the last things he shouted at me was that I better not be trashing his name on the internet. I'm thrilled to see that he has managed to continue to do that all by himself!

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 4:37 pm

I was in Canton Cycle today and talking to the folks there and from what i understand the papers have been signed that Canton has sold their BMW & Triumph franchise to Gengras. It probably wont be officially moved until the end of the riding season but I understand most of the Mechs and some of the administration and sales are also going to Gengras. Canton is going to keep the Victory line and may pick up KTM as well. I believe I understood that they are going to remain a cycle shop and work on all brands? So I guess we will see.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 5:01 pm

interesting news

They are remaining a bike shop and they will be able to work on any brand except Triumph & BMW. I was told that was part of the agreement.
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Awesome

I was in there today myself and that's the same thing I was told. Gengras to take the Triumph and the Beemer (NOT Bimmer ) lines, Canton to hold onto Victory. I read something in I think Cycle World a couple months ago, wherein it was stated that Polaris is working on a deal with KTM, which is awesome as the KTM line is cool if you're into them, the Victory's are cool and then of course this will I think lead into the Polaris other stuff, and that means watercraft (Highland Lake), and quads/Snowmobiles (Peoples Forest).
I think Canton may be making a really smart move in the long run what with BMW's lack of support and stringent demands on their dealer networks.
Don is making the move and some of the techs, this is a GOOD thing, Don has always been really good to me in my dealing with him and my Triumph.
Now I'll have a 15 min drive to get my Beemer AND my Triumph parts & Service!!! I just hope they (Gengras) will treat customers better in the new BMW shop than I hear they do in the H-D shop and all will be Grrrrreat!

post #20 of 21 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 5:04 pm

I just went from a 40 minute ride through some of the crappiest traffic (rt 4 & rt 10) commute to a nice 8 minute commute right down the street
post #21 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:47 pm

Will bigger be better? We stopped by Gengras yesterday and learned that the BMW line will be located in the old Dodge building of their auto complex. They expect to be up and running in about 2 months.
For those not familiar with the Hartford area, Gengras sells, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Mercury, Volvo, Harley, and now Ducati, BMW, Triumph. Canton is a Mom and Pop, 2 family type operation. Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in