BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Just joined in!

448 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  djmellor 
#1 ·
I will hopefully be joining with the BMW family this coming Spring. I've been bouncing back and forth on what exactly I will purchase. I have been riding bikes since 18. I'm 55 now. I can have one bike (over my wife's dead body for I don't know how many times now) and need to be able to commute short distances, do day long trips and work two-up. I feel a used RT may be the ticket. Although there are some sweet deals on used 1200 LT's, I feel it too huge for commuting. Considering ST's and Connies too but the BMW speaks to me the most.

John McFarland
Mentor, Ohio

#2 ·
K1200LT is a beast. I put a couple hundred thousand commuter miles on some in LA traffic, and I love the bike. Probably not one's first choice for commuter bike though, at this point. It's big, top-heavy, not easy to maneuver between traffic, prone to some irritating issues: EHCT failure, radio/audio system failure, trunk latch breaking, ABS failure, rubber brake line failure. Most fixable, but usually not cheaply. DIY involves lots of "tupperware" removal for most jobs. If all that is not too daunting, this forum is a tribute to how well-loved is the LT. Two-up on LT is w/o peer. I think I'd jump into an RT over an LT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.