Thinking of the purchase - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Thinking of the purchase

Greeting from SW Louisiana. I am about to dive off into the deep end and purchase a 2004 R1150RT. I am a little hesitant as i am only 5 7 with a 30 inch inseam. I really wanted an 06 LT but everybody said I was too short. And this seems to have scared me off my purchase. Lol so i settled for the. RT.anyway my name is Gil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 7:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Thinking of the purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRookie View Post
Greeting from SW Louisiana. I am about to dive off into the deep end and purchase a 2004 R1150RT. I am a little hesitant as i am only 5 7 with a 30 inch inseam. I really wanted an 06 LT but everybody said I was too short. And this seems to have scared me off my purchase. Lol so i settled for the. RT.anyway my name is Gil
Hi Gil from Louisiana, I'm slightly taller at, 5' 11", with a 30" inseam. I looked up some seat height specs on the '04 RT, '09 RT and a '06 LT and found 31.7", 30.7" and 30.3" respectively. I'm fairly certain as to not having a problem with the seat height on my LT when it was a 2 wheel as much as it's fully loaded weight problem for me. My 2009 RT seat spec shows slightly higher than the LT which would make sense as I am somewhat up off my heels when not wearing my MC boots. It seems the '04 R1150RT is the highest of the three mentioned. Some other member can correct me if I'm wrong, but it would appear the '04 would be the bigger problem for shorter inseam riders.....

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 9:32 am

Re: Thinking of the purchase

Gil, just to add some mud, the 2004 is 15 years old, it has an ABS system that is complicated to bleed and prone to failure at old age or poor maintenance. It is Very expensive to repair, most by pass it. And if it does fail the remaining brake power is very limited. This system was on bikes from 02 to 06 and a bit longer on the LT, I think to end of production if I remember correctly. See if you can find a bike 07 or newer RT, maintenance is easier and less expensive. Besides the bike is lighter and a fine touring machine.
Patric likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in