Old guy with an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dharris
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 29th, 2019, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Old guy with an LT

Hi... I am 66, retired and own a 2006 LT I bought new off the showroom floor. It has been a love/hate relationship for 13 years. Lately, it has been more love than hate, as I was considering selling her, but have changed my mind as the years and miles disappear in my six. She has given me no trouble other than expensive maintenance and a few tip over scares. My wife and I rode her to Alaska on a 30 day trip with no troubles except for tires, but that is to be expected. We did the Iron Butt thing for awhile, but nowadays we ride her on overnight trips in Arizona. She still looks good... She still runs good.
kbob12 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Re: Old guy with an LT

Welcome to the forum Mr Harris from Sugar Hill GA. Most of us have that same relationship with our LT's.
kbob12 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Ė Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Ė Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 30th, 2019, 12:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Cheers! Welcome to the forum from southern California!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old May 30th, 2019, 8:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharris View Post
Hi... I am 66, retired and own a 2006 LT I bought new off the showroom floor. It has been a love/hate relationship for 13 years. Lately, it has been more love than hate, as I was considering selling her, but have changed my mind as the years and miles disappear in my six. She has given me no trouble other than expensive maintenance and a few tip over scares. My wife and I rode her to Alaska on a 30 day trip with no troubles except for tires, but that is to be expected. We did the Iron Butt thing for awhile, but nowadays we ride her on overnight trips in Arizona. She still looks good... She still runs good.
Welcome dharris,
I too am 66 and have a 2006 KLT that I purchased new. It has been a wonderful touring machine that has never left me stranded. After several trips out west with the wife and a stationary lay down of it at Tail of the Dragon along with some other near drops, I decided to convert it to a Hannigan trike in 2012. Traveling from NJ, I usually found us caught up in traffic congestion of the area and it just became too heavy when fully loaded in slow moving or stop and go traffic. Now, itís total relaxation when riding two up and loaded down.
It is so enjoyable to just pull on side of the road to snap a picture or view a scenic valley or mountain and never have to put your feet down. Three wheels isnít for everyone but it does seem to be working great for us. I'm not advocating three wheel conversions either as itís throwing money out the window but to me itís worth every penny to be able to keep wandering the roadways. Hopefully I will continue to do so as long as I can get out of bed in the morning. I still maintain a lighter 2 wheel cycle for shorter forays from home or when I feel the need to lean but the LT is my long distance mode of travel.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 8 Old May 30th, 2019, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Thank you
post #6 of 8 Old May 30th, 2019, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Kbob12... Appreciate it
post #7 of 8 Old May 30th, 2019, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiss9 View Post
Welcome dharris,
I too am 66 and have a 2006 KLT that I purchased new. It has been a wonderful touring machine that has never left me stranded. After several trips out west with the wife and a stationary lay down of it at Tail of the Dragon along with some other near drops, I decided to convert it to a Hannigan trike in 2012. Traveling from NJ, I usually found us caught up in traffic congestion of the area and it just became too heavy when fully loaded in slow moving or stop and go traffic. Now, itís total relaxation when riding two up and loaded down.
It is so enjoyable to just pull on side of the road to snap a picture or view a scenic valley or mountain and never have to put your feet down. Three wheels isnít for everyone but it does seem to be working great for us. I'm not advocating three wheel conversions either as itís throwing money out the window but to me itís worth every penny to be able to keep wandering the roadways. Hopefully I will continue to do so as long as I can get out of bed in the morning. I still maintain a lighter 2 wheel cycle for shorter forays from home or when I feel the need to lean but the LT is my long distance mode of travel.
I dropped my LT when it was 2 days old at a stop sign... Couldn't believe how quickly it happened and that I couldn't stop it from going over. No damage done, but I was embarrassed. I had been riding decades, but never a heavy bike. Lesson learned early about the LT...
post #8 of 8 Old May 30th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Hi, It has been years since I'm been on this forum. I have a 2002 K1200LTE bought new. I rode like crazy the first five years. The last five, the bike has mostly sat in the garage on a battery tender. The bike is in good shape and I keep saying I'm going to ride more. Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in