Hello from west Michigan - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Garage
Hello from west Michigan

I joined BMWLT about a month ago looking for information on the R1200RTW and I have learned a lot looking though the forums. I purchased a 2014 R1200RTW in October. My other cycle is a 1984 R80RT. I have had the R80 since 2005 for about 90,000 miles, 48 states, and 5 provinces and have decided to semi-retire it for a while. It is currently on the lift for a final drive rebuild. My plan for me is to retire this year and put miles on the R1200RTW

Part of the reason I am looking for forums like this is that I plan to do much of the maintenance and repair on the R1200RTW. Just finding the links to the videos showing BoxFlyer doing the 12k service has given me confidence that I can do this.

The rest of my motorcycle history includes riding Honda CL175, CL350, and CB500-4 in the 1970's and 1980's followed by a 20 year gap until getting the R80RT. I did my early touring on the CL350 and the CB500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Re: Hello from west Michigan

Welcome from UP of Michigan. Your story is similar....Honda XL175, Honda 550-4, Kawasaki KZ900, Yamaha XS1100, 20 year gap to raise kids, BMW K1200LT....living the dream.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Garage

Welcome from S/E Michigan. Similar story Honda 350 then a 550 then a CB750K. Took a break to raise my family. Semi-retired a few years back and bought an 09 RT. This past December I picked up a 16 RT. I can't wait for the spring to arrive. It seems like a long way off so I might have to trailer the bike south for a mid-winter ride.

You'll find a ton of great information and many helpful people.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome from Birch Run Via Zephyrhills FL .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #5 of 6 Old Feb 9th, 2019, 1:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome from the second home in Coloma, MI. Also a R80RT rider which is my MI bike, currently. Don't see many of them out there and will probably offer it up for sale in the spring. Hope you find all the help you need here. It's been a wealth of info to me over the years.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 9th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Welcome from SE Michigan. Seems like Beemer drivers all share the same story. Started on a Matchless, Triumph, Honda 750-4, then on to a GoldWing, had kids, sent son to college, Yamaha, R1100RT, retired, K1200LT. Shipped the bike to Florida and ride weekly with a bunch of Harley's.

There is nothing better than having to unzip your leather jacket mid-February because you're sweating. I hope to be able to say that in May when I head back up north.

From one newbie to another...this is the best forum for information and if you haven't found the videos that Kirk Johnson and the Northern Illinois BMW club post, he does a great job of explaining basic maintenance of your bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in