Just another old guy with a new R1200RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2018, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Garage
Just another old guy with a new R1200RT

Hello all,

To introduce myself and add to my post counts (trying to get to 10) here is my favorite picture of my 2018 R1200RT and a few words.

The picture is the day I decided to buy the bike, looking through the window of BMW Motorcycles of Murrieta at the object of my desire. As you can see, the bike has a K1600GTL type top box but is otherwise pretty much a normal white R1200RT-W with normal for a US BMW (i.e. all) options. I've had 27 motorcycles including that beat up Trail 90 (a Honda with an iron cylinder and pushrods!?) I started with, the RT is the 13th BMW. BTW, good folks in Murrieta, stop by if you get close.

I'll have my 50th anniversary of getting my first bike next spring. Between 1969 and now I've ridden dirt bikes, street raced, track raced, adventure toured, regular toured and commuted. The high point was three weeks on the South Island of New Zealand on an R100S a very long time ago. These days I just put around, usually with my favorite passenger on the back seat. Like the Murrieta BMW shop, New Zealand is high on my list of recommendations. Stunning natural beauty, great roads, wonderful people.

I live on the Central Coast of California with a wonderful woman named Linda, the afore mentioned passenger.

Cheers,

Goose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wht_RT_Thrw_Wndo.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	147731  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2018, 9:43 pm

Re: Just another old guy with a new R1200RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose11 View Post
Hello all,

To introduce myself and add to my post counts (trying to get to 10) here is my favorite picture of my 2018 R1200RT and a few words.

The picture is the day I decided to buy the bike, looking through the window of BMW Motorcycles of Murrieta at the object of my desire. As you can see, the bike has a K1600GTL type top box but is otherwise pretty much a normal white R1200RT-W with normal for a US BMW (i.e. all) options. I've had 27 motorcycles including that beat up Trail 90 (a Honda with an iron cylinder and pushrods!?) I started with, the RT is the 13th BMW. BTW, good folks in Murrieta, stop by if you get close.

I'll have my 50th anniversary of getting my first bike next spring. Between 1969 and now I've ridden dirt bikes, street raced, track raced, adventure toured, regular toured and commuted. The high point was three weeks on the South Island of New Zealand on an R100S a very long time ago. These days I just put around, usually with my favorite passenger on the back seat. Like the Murrieta BMW shop, New Zealand is high on my list of recommendations. Stunning natural beauty, great roads, wonderful people.

I live on the Central Coast of California with a wonderful woman named Linda, the afore mentioned passenger.

Cheers,

Goose
Welcome to the forum Lex. It doesn't take long to pump up the post count. All you have to do is strike up a conversation on just about any controversial subject like what type of oil to run, or what tire pressure or spark plugs to run. You will immediately get a dozen opinion posts to respond to. New Zealand is high on my list of places I will probably never get to see. Maybe one day.

Just kidding about the oil thread. Don't do that.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2018, 10:18 pm

nice. - and I too have a new RT and also a 1966 iron cylinder pushrod honda trail 90 (and a 74 cl360).

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 7:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome! You will find many old guys here, and some even have been riding for a little while!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 9:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Welcome!!!! I bought my first BMW this past March. It is a 2011 RT. Speaking of "Old Guy"...all my riding buds are over 70. All of us are now riding RT's and I have nicknamed us "GEEZERS ON BEEMERS." All that happened before I discovered this forum. I actually have friends my age who have no knowledge of how to turn on a computer, much less participate in a worldwide forum community. At the age when many of my contemporaries have surrendered to operating a recliner and a TV Remote, some of us are reluctant to hang it up.

Thanks to folks like you, willing to join and participate in these forums...it confirms that "GEEZERS ON BEEMERS," are not an isolated phenomenon.

Let's encourage each other that when the kickstand is lowered for the last time...it will be on our terms with no regrets!

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 Old Sep 5th, 2018, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Tiger,

I'm with you. My seventieth birthday is a while in the future but I hope I'm still riding both peddle bikes and motorbikes when I get to that age and beyond. Maybe something a bit lighter at some point but bikes until I can't work them. I come from Silicon Valley, specifically computer networking, so tech has been part of my life almost as long as motorcycles.

Now, about the post count... I'm running straight 90 weight SlipperE brand dyno oil and everything else is sh*t! Anybody who doesn't run 90 SlipperE oil is a moron! Think that'll get me a few post to respond to?

JUST KIDDING! No oil threads, please.

Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer tiger View Post
Welcome!!!! I bought my first BMW this past March. It is a 2011 RT. Speaking of "Old Guy"...all my riding buds are over 70. All of us are now riding RT's and I have nicknamed us "GEEZERS ON BEEMERS." All that happened before I discovered this forum. I actually have friends my age who have no knowledge of how to turn on a computer, much less participate in a worldwide forum community. At the age when many of my contemporaries have surrendered to operating a recliner and a TV Remote, some of us are reluctant to hang it up.

Thanks to folks like you, willing to join and participate in these forums...it confirms that "GEEZERS ON BEEMERS," are not an isolated phenomenon.

Let's encourage each other that when the kickstand is lowered for the last time...it will be on our terms with no regrets!
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2018, 6:43 am

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

2000 R1100RT
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2018, 7:16 am

Nice! Wish I could afford something new. Though the benefit of old stuff is all the knowledge you obtain fixing it. lol 54 and my first bike was a trail 70 when I was ten. Did a lot of riding over the past 20+ years living in CA Napa Valley and around Marin/SF. Now in Nevada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW nut.png
Views:	80
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	147835  

Last edited by bimmerman4ever; Sep 6th, 2018 at 7:23 am.
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2018, 10:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome! I added the GTL backrest to my RT top box for my partners comfort...Linda will be very pleased.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in