4Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By kbob12
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 16th, 2018, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Hi I'm a new owner/ impulse buyer

Hello everyone I was happy to find this Forum that pertains to the BMW motorcycle that I bought it's great to know there are other people out there with these bikes and they're happy with them I bought a k 1200 LT BMW it's a 1999 with 42,000 miles on it it's the first big bike I've owned besides a 900 Kawasaki Ninja which just wasn't really my kind of bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 16th, 2018, 11:18 pm

Re: Hi I'm a new owner/ impulse buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd89316 View Post
Hello everyone I was happy to find this Forum that pertains to the BMW motorcycle that I bought it's great to know there are other people out there with these bikes and they're happy with them I bought a k 1200 LT BMW it's a 1999 with 42,000 miles on it it's the first big bike I've owned besides a 900 Kawasaki Ninja which just wasn't really my kind of bike.
Welcome to the forum Lloyd. Give us a rundown of your new LT as in what updates have been done over its life. Hopefully you got maintenance records as they are very helpful. Things of interest would be color, farkles and anything done with the final drive, clutch and brake lines. Brake lines are of special interest for the earlier LT's.
kbob12 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Well I was having trouble with the battery running down so I pulled it out and charged it when I put it back in I couldn't get the starter to work anybody have any suggestions

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 3:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Well I was having trouble with the battery running down so I pulled it out and charged it when I put it back in I couldn't get the starter to work anybody have any suggestions
Hi! And, welcome to the forum! This is the right place for all your k1200lt needs!

Please do not get discouraged with your 19 year old motorcycle... it is probably something simple.
I leave my K-bike on a charger when I am not riding it because the computer, clock, and "farkles," etc., seem to really tax the battery!

Question: Did you connect a couple black wires to the negative side? It is easy to "lose" one of them, so that is what I have "seen" in the past.
Good luck!
Patric likes this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Well I got it started the battery is weak
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:28 pm

Quote:
First thing to learn on a pre 2002 US LT is never crank it with a low battery. The excess current from the low voltage and slow turning armature will fuse the stater relay shut and your starter will continue to run even with the key off and it will drain the battery as it runs while you ride if it managed to start it while fusing. It can melt wires and the harness if not caught.

There is a fairly expensive retrofit that replaces the relay ( standard on 02 and up ) with one that has voltage sensing circuitry and it won't engage the starter if the voltage falls to something around 10 or 11V.

A good battery for the LT is a Odyssey PC680 and many here run that battery.
Patric likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #7 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2018, 5:09 am

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Sounds like you really just need a new battery to me.

2000 R1100RT
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2018, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Wow thanks, this is good to know I have been using a booster to start the bike it seems to work well. I ordered one of the new ballistic batteries to replace the sulphated one. Any retrofit that protects the wiring would be beneficial. Thank you all for the info I can't find it anywhere else.
SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Lloyd89316
Join: Aug 2018

Aug 16, 2018 #1
Hi I'm a new owner/ impulse buyer

bmwcoolk1200
Join: Feb 2015

Aug 16, 2018 #2
Lloyd89316 said:
Original Post

Welcome to the forum Lloyd. Give us a rundown of your new LT as in what updates have been done over its life. Hopefully you got maintenance records as they are very helpful. Things of interest would be color, farkles and anything done with the final drive, clutch and brake lines. Brake lines are of special interest for the earlier LT's.
Lloyd89316

about 18 hours ago #3
kbob12
Lifetime Supporter
Join: Sep 2017
Covina, CA

about 18 hours ago #4
Lloyd89316 said:
Original Post

Hi! And, welcome to the forum! This is the right place for all your k1200lt needs!

Please do not get discouraged with your 19 year old motorcycle... it is probably something simple.
I leave my K-bike on a charger when I am not riding it because the computer, clock, and "farkles," etc., seem to really tax the battery!

Question: Did you connect a couple black wires to the negative side? It is easy to "lose" one of them, so that is what I have "seen" in the past.
Good luck!

Lloyd89316

about 11 hours ago #5
bmwcoolk1200
Join: Feb 2015

about 11 hours ago #6
Lloyd89316 said:
Original Post

First thing to learn on a pre 2002 US LT is never crank it with a low battery. The excess current from the low voltage and slow turning armature will fuse the stater relay shut and your starter will continue to run even with the key off and it will drain the battery as it runs while you ride if it managed to start it while fusing. It can melt wires and the harness if not caught.

((There is a fairly expensive retrofit that replaces the relay ( standard on 02 and up ) with one that has voltage sensing circuitry and it won't engage the starter if the voltage falls to something around 10 or 11V. )) I'm wondering if my bike has this as it would not engage the starter until I hooked up the booster.
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2018, 10:47 am

Buy a volt meter too along with a "smart" motorcycle maintenance charger. BMW motorcycles don't like low or bad batteries. If you hit the starter button and the battery voltage drops to below 9.5, that battery is not charged enough or of good enough quality for the bike (if your starter is good). Clymer makes a service book for your bike. Some good advice in there along with how to do things. A bike that is 20 years old will require some catch up maintenance for sure. Much of it if ignored can be a show stopper.
kbob12 likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2018, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Yes I need to learn to put the Tupperware on and off too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in