Ex-FJR owner from WI came over to the RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hfjeff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2018, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Ex-FJR owner from WI came over to the RT

I have posted a few times and but did not have my new (to me) RT until tonight. Now it is official as it is in my garage instead of my buddy's. So far I am loving this bike.

I had an FJR for a couple years and had a serious Love/Hate relationship with. It had a lot of really great features but an equal number of negatives. I sold it and moved on to a Super Tenere ES as that is the natural evolution pattern of FJR owners. I only had that bike 6 months and knew it would not do. I missed the FJR but not all of pain points.

Along comes the RT. I had looked at them when I purchased the FJR but that was my first bike returning to riding after 20 years and I was not sure I wanted to obligate the funds until I knew I would stay riding. Then a good friend lets me know he is selling his loaded 2016 with 2,300 miles, extended warranty until 2021, and he would ship it from the east coast if I bought it. I test rode a leftover 2017 at a dealer and fell in love. The RT has all the things I loved about the FJR without all the things I hate about the FJR.

The rest is history as they say. My new (to me) loaded 2016 was delivered today. It is in mint condition and I am a now proud new RT owner. I look forward to being a long time owner and member of this forum. I was very active on the FJR forum and hope to learn a lot about the RT and also bring some valuable riding help to others. And here it is....

joekahng likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2018, 7:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Ex-FJR owner from WI came over to the RT

Congratulations and welcome! Nice RT. Same color as the '17 model that I had rented for 10 days in New Zealand last November!

Just curious, but what didn't you like about the FJR, beside, presumably, weight and heat?

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2018, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

The FJR was a great and has some really nice features, but too many negatives for me.

Pros:
1.) reliability and low maint costs. 1st valve check is at 28k miles. Very common to get over 100k miles with nothing more than oil changes and new tires/brakes
2.) 1300cc inline 4-cyl is butter smooth and really winds out nicely. Never had to downshift to pass
3.) styling-very sharp bike
4.) simple electronics-easy to figure out just by playing around
5.) same stuff as RT: ABS, Traction control, cruise, heated grips, ES (optional), power windshield
6.) Easy to work on and do common maintenance
7.) Did I mention the very sweet 1300cc 4-cyl??
8.) reasonable repair costs.

Cons:
1.) Top heavy with high center of gravity make bike tippy
2.) Heavy weight at 649 lbs.
3.) High seat heat makes moving bike around a bit tricky
4.) Difficult to balance at low parking lot speeds (see #1 & 2 above). U-turns are a challenge especially with a passenger
5.) Forward leaning riding position. I had a MV-Motorrad riser and still need to let go of one handlebar from time to time to sit up straight and take the strain off my shoulders and upper back.
6.) Cramped leg space. I am 6'0" and my legs would get cramped after 2 hrs as they are tucked up pretty tight on the stock pegs
7.) Engine Heat-when the engine cooling fans kicked on they blow hot air directly back on the rider.
8.) Terrible stock seat. Most people replace or modify with RDL or Seth Laam
9.) Engine buzz on handlebars at about 4,200 rpms. Common to most inline 4-cyls.

I do have some concerns about the reliability and repair costs of the RT, but decided to take a leap of faith and put those fears behind (I am still under factory warranty and have a 2 year extended warranty). There are a lot of electronics on this bike-more than the FJR. If this bike does not work out, I do not know what to turn to next....

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfjeff View Post
The FJR was a great and has some really nice features, but too many negatives for me.

I do have some concerns about the reliability and repair costs of the RT, but decided to take a leap of faith and put those fears behind (I am still under factory warranty and have a 2 year extended warranty). There are a lot of electronics on this bike-more than the FJR. If this bike does not work out, I do not know what to turn to next....
Congrats on a fantastic purchase--you won't be disappointed. Before I settled on a new '16 RT I did 3 test rides on RT and on FJR-ES. I ended up settling on RT and now at 33,200m it only gets better w/ miles and age, truly. Reliability is sterling on the wet heads after a few issues early on, and the dreaded legacy final drive problems appear to have been well resolved thankfully. I've read only one report of any issues w/ the FD and that was on a wet head w/ 73K miles where one of the front u-joint bearing cups ran dry and failed for some any of a couple of possible reasons. The electronics are very well laid out once you learn them, and the wonder wheel is a great control interface. I did not like the feel of the FJR--it felt like more like a drag bike or a locomotive than a sport touring model. I know others love it and ride it well but for me it became no contest after the test rides were done.

If your new bike doesn't have a headlight protector you might pick one up very soon as they pit quite quickly and look pretty bad over time and are $1150 to replace.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2018, 7:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfjeff View Post

You shouldn't have any issues with the reliability of the wethead RTs, and if you do your own maintenance work, the cost is very low and the works are very easy to do. If you have to use the dealer for your maintenance, then all bets are off!!

Don't worry about the electronics. They are quite reliable, even if we have had some issues with the switchgears, but I consider those to be mechanical in nature, and they were resolved well before your model year.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2018, 10:18 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. I am really digging this bike. The balance and ergos are so much better than the FJR and I am not getting a workout every time I ride.

I do all my own routine maint like oil and FD changes, coolant flush, tire changes (take them off the bike and take in to change the rubber). Of course the guys over on the FJR forum are biased and quick to point out any horror stories, but most are older issues that have been resolved as you guys pointed out.

For now, I just can't wipe this big grin off my face and am going to enjoy the ride. As an added bonus, my wife loves the comfort of the back seat and told me to sell the AirHawk seat cushion she needed on the FJR.
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2018, 11:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Good!

Here are some tips, since you will be doing your own maintenance works on your RT.

The place to by your "expendables", like filters, etc. is at the BeemerBoneyard. They sells OEM stuff that BMW rebrand, and at prices a lot less than BMW branded stuff from your dealer! Use the code BMWMOA or BMWST to get 10% discount.

Download the 6,000 miles and 12,000 miles service check list from here: https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcy...ance_schedules Scroll down and look for your model.

A highly recommended DVD made and sold by a fellow rider will give you an excellent guide to the required maintenance on your RT. Take a look here: R1200_Wethead_2013+_DVD It's just $30 and goes to a fellow rider!

You will find a wealth of information on this forum as well!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2018, 11:30 am

I too came over to the RT from an FJR. I tend to agree with what you wrote.
The FJR's motor, I miss that.
The handling on the RT sold me on switching to BMW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in