New (to me) 2015 K1600GTL - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By hallzee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 16th, 2018, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

New (to me) 2015 K1600GTL

Hi all,

Just picked up a '15 GTL with only 1,300 miles. I bought it as a replacement for my 2009 (bought new in July 2009) Harley Davidson Ultra, which has been a great bike but I have 89,000 miles on it now and want something different. I've only taken one short ride so far as I live in Las Vegas and it's hot, not exactly our riding season. I'm looking forward to getting to know this bike and all of you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 16th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Re: New (to me) 2015 K1600GTL

Welcome - nice scooter. That's the fastest color too!

Check out the sister site of this one. It is specific to the K1600: https://www.k1600forum.com/

Tons of information.
JNW003 and vistavette like this.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 7th, 2018, 7:33 pm

2000 BMW K1200LT Hi guys I'm new here! I have to say, after 12000 miles, this bike is: a beast to handle, destroys every Harley up to 1600 pc's that I have raced, eats up the miles, is obscenely expensive for a dealer to repair, looks great at any age, will cruise at 100 mph all day long, and I am selling it as soon as I find a reliable Japanese replacement bike.
Now don't think for a moment that I am hating on the 'Light Truck'. I love it...but It fell one too many times and tore up my shoulder trying to stop it.
If anyone here wants to buy my bike, I'm in Texas (as I write it I am in Colorado on its final voyage with me and my son).

Honestly, the raw power of this bike just kicks butt any time I need it to! It's a crotch rocket for middle aged men!

I will miss it but not the expensive hard to find parts, etc!
How's that for an intro!?

Last edited by yourhumbleservant; Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:45 pm. Reason: oops I sent it before I was done!

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 7th, 2018, 8:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhumbleservant View Post
2000 BMW K1200LT Hi guys I'm new here! I have to say, after 12000 miles, this bike is: a beast to handle, destroys every Harley up to 1600 pc's that I have raced, eats up the miles, is obscenely expensive for a dealer to repair, looks great at any age, will cruise at 100 mph all day long, and I am selling it as soon as I find a reliable Japanese replacement bike.
Now don't think for a moment that I am hating on the 'Light Truck'. I love it...but It fell one too many times and tore up my shoulder trying to stop it.
If anyone here wants to buy my bike, I'm in Texas (as I write it I am in Colorado on its final voyage with me and my son).

Honestly, the raw power of this bike just kicks butt any time I need it to! It's a crotch rocket for middle aged men!

Sounds like you don't know how to wench... I also had an LT and loved it, but wanted more power and one which does not require the higher level of maintenance of the LT - hence, my purchase of a K1600GTLE. I have not found any of the problems inherent with the LT (QDs, ABS, crown bearing failures of the shaft drive, starter solenoid, difficult and time consuming brake bleeding, front wheel wobble upon deceleration, gear shift maintenance issues, etc.). I've had the dealer perform the initial oil change, but have performed all other maintenance functions except the 18,000 mile valve check (which I will also do), and it has been a breeze.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 8th, 2018, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhumbleservant View Post

You hijacked my original thread.

That said:. These are easy to ride and without trying to sound like a complete jerk, it sounds like you really need some rider training. If you're falling off and dropping the bike etc perhaps another bike isn't really the answer. Training would help you a lot. Take the Advanced motorcycle class I think they actually call it the BRC 2 from MSF. It's essentially the first class done on your own bike at little bit faster speeds plus a couple of extra exercises. It should give you a good idea where you're skills are lacking.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in