New Member Intro - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MaGary62

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 1:39 am Thread Starter

Garage
New Member Intro

I came home yesterday with new (to me) 2002 R1150RT. I'm almost ashamed to say I practically stole it from a local shop. I has been shopping for a replacement for my recently stolen Honda Vtx 1300, and was considering a couple of options, new and used, when I saw the RT parked in front of the showroom on Wednesday. The shop owner was acting as salesperson and noticed me glancing at it. He'd been riding it as a commuter and said it was on consignment. We went out and I tried it on. Owner is 6 ft+, I'm barely 5' 8. It was a reach for my feet but I saw the mileage on odo and he described how it rode. I started to consider it a bit, although I was really missing the low seat, high torque, and abundant chrome of my 1300. The owner and I made plans for a test drive the following day.

I showed up at the shop on Thursday on my little "town bike" (purchased from his shop in 2014). He rolled the bimmer out of the showroom to the sidewalk and started it up. He offered for me to pull it into the street but I felt pretty leery about that. He hopped aboard and immediately stalled it! Embarrassing. We went over control layout and such. I realized I couldn't see the sidestand. Grips and levers were in the right place but mirrors and turn signals weren't. Off I went on residential streets; lots of stop signs. I kept the shiny side up on my way to friend's place of business and we both looked and talked about the bike.

On the ride back to the dealership, I took a short hop down the local 4-lane a mile or two. Traffic was fairly light and I kept looking for mirrors that weren't there. Traffic was lighter still after I headed back to town so I took the opportunity to "blow out the carbon". WOW!!! I glanced down and saw Erika and I were doing around 5200 RPM in sixth and cars in the lane to my left were in reverse.

Parked her in front of the showroom, found the owner and we went into the office. He produced a Sales Summary and I looked at the bottom line. I produced atm card or suggested a check from my bank a couple of blocks away. He chose the check. I left as he said we would have the shop put a new tire on the front; it was over-aged. I came back and she was on a lift in the shop. I spent the unending interval arranging insurance and finally was able to take her home.

I spent the day putting around town, getting familiar with everything (the agility is awesome- does this thing really weigh 600+ ?). About 30 miles: surface streets, a little freeway. I live in an area of acre+ lots about 3 miles from the old downtown. That seems like a lot of putting. Erika is the first BMW I've ridden and only the third scoot I've owned since I got back on two wheels in 2014. I haven't had a speeding ticket since the '80s and that was in VW diesel. My ring-ding crotch rocket days are long gone, but I think I might be heading in a bad direction.

If you've made it this far, thank you for your patience. I know my friends say a yak a lot. I'm going to try to post a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_erika1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	143434  
Patric likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Garage
Re: New Member Intro

Nice write up! Am glad you like your new(er) bike.
Good luck with it, and enjoy this site. Always good
to know what others experience, and sometimes
here is the place to share yours!

2008 RT Biarritz Blue
2007 Triumph Sprint ST(sold)
memories:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in