5Likes
  • 5 Post By Beemer tiger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 9:12 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
(1st post) Is it my Fault?

GOOD GRIEF!...IS IT MY FAULT?

Well...here I am, just a little ol' hillbilly. Living a rather peaceful life of obscurity in the hills of the western Carolinas. Besides tinkering around with a few Studebakers, and assorted "old iron," I have been riding a kinda, sorta, Harley wannabe Honda cruiser motorcycle for a couple of decades. So, just to catch up with two of my geriatric riding partners (old high school buddies) who are riding BMW sport (touring) bikes, I launched a search for a newer bike back last October. We didn't ride a whole lot last year, but last fall they showed up on two new (to them) BMW motorcycles. During the time we reconnected & began to ride, I have only had this 1100cc V-twin cruiser. They have had at least three (maybe more) motorcycles.

Even if my wife didn't disapprove of me buying another motorcycle, I couldn't see paying over twenty grand for a vehicle she will never ride. So, my search was for a newer machine in which the first owner absorbs most of the depreciation. After months of searching ads, phone calls, & several hundred miles of driving, I finally found a 2011 BMW R1200RT (premium). It was less than 70 miles from home. Hardly a scratch on the machine, and only 24,000 miles on the odometer. The man selling it was about my age, but health problems motivated him to give up riding. Checked the bike over in the morning, negotiated a price acceptable to both of us, and I sprinted home to swap the Camry for my truck & trailer, a quick stop at my bank for a cashier's check, then, a drive-in window burger lunch, and I was quickly on my way back up the hills to pick up the machine. By 6:30 that evening, I was back home, complete, with the signed title, bill of sale, and my NEW (to me) motorcycle.

Winter had slowed my search somewhat, because making trips, and examining a motorcycle requires decent weather. However, (at least here) February turned out to have some very nice days, and it inspired me to step up my search. I even had a few days warm enough to take my old cruiser out for a pleasant ride. On the day I bought the bike, temps were in the 70's (F). Following the purchase, we still had some "shirt sleeve" days, as it took a couple of days for me to get the insurance, registration, and taxes, etc., taken care of.

So...NOW...I'm READY TO RIDE! ...but...WINTER HAS RETURNED...just little ol' me...living in obscurity...is it my fault??? (I'm pretty sure I'm not that influential)

If so...to the rest of you...I apologize! Especially those of you living in the path of the latest nor'easter snow storms.

It was 51 years ago, when a fellow Air Force colleague, gave me a ride on his strange looking horizontal opposed cylinder (boxer engine) BMW motorcycle. Back then, absolutely the smoothest ride I had ever had on two wheels. Now, for me...FINALLY A BEEMER!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 2:38 pm

Re: (1st post) Is it my Fault?

Congratulations!!!

Welcome from the Alabama the Beautiful!

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 2:54 pm

Garage

Nice write up, enjoyed reading it.
Welcome to the forum, am sure you will find help if
asked for, and interesting stories from other riders.
Enjoy your new(er) scoot, and if touring is in your
mind, you made the right choice!

2008 RT Biarritz Blue
2007 Triumph Sprint ST(sold)
memories:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer tiger View Post
GOOD GRIEF!...IS IT MY FAULT?

Well...here I am, just a little ol' hillbilly. Living a rather peaceful life of obscurity in the hills of the western Carolinas. Besides tinkering around with a few Studebakers, and assorted "old iron," I have been riding a kinda, sorta, Harley wannabe Honda cruiser motorcycle for a couple of decades. So, just to catch up with two of my geriatric riding partners (old high school buddies) who are riding BMW sport (touring) bikes, I launched a search for a newer bike back last October. We didn't ride a whole lot last year, but last fall they showed up on two new (to them) BMW motorcycles. During the time we reconnected & began to ride, I have only had this 1100cc V-twin cruiser. They have had at least three (maybe more) motorcycles.

Even if my wife didn't disapprove of me buying another motorcycle, I couldn't see paying over twenty grand for a vehicle she will never ride. So, my search was for a newer machine in which the first owner absorbs most of the depreciation. After months of searching ads, phone calls, & several hundred miles of driving, I finally found a 2011 BMW R1200RT (premium). It was less than 70 miles from home. Hardly a scratch on the machine, and only 24,000 miles on the odometer. The man selling it was about my age, but health problems motivated him to give up riding. Checked the bike over in the morning, negotiated a price acceptable to both of us, and I sprinted home to swap the Camry for my truck & trailer, a quick stop at my bank for a cashier's check, then, a drive-in window burger lunch, and I was quickly on my way back up the hills to pick up the machine. By 6:30 that evening, I was back home, complete, with the signed title, bill of sale, and my NEW (to me) motorcycle.

Winter had slowed my search somewhat, because making trips, and examining a motorcycle requires decent weather. However, (at least here) February turned out to have some very nice days, and it inspired me to step up my search. I even had a few days warm enough to take my old cruiser out for a pleasant ride. On the day I bought the bike, temps were in the 70's (F). Following the purchase, we still had some "shirt sleeve" days, as it took a couple of days for me to get the insurance, registration, and taxes, etc., taken care of.

So...NOW...I'm READY TO RIDE! ...but...WINTER HAS RETURNED...just little ol' me...living in obscurity...is it my fault??? (I'm pretty sure I'm not that influential)

If so...to the rest of you...I apologize! Especially those of you living in the path of the latest nor'easter snow storms.

It was 51 years ago, when a fellow Air Force colleague, gave me a ride on his strange looking horizontal opposed cylinder (boxer engine) BMW motorcycle. Back then, absolutely the smoothest ride I had ever had on two wheels. Now, for me...FINALLY A BEEMER!

Just remember what they say BMW means Bring My wallet! (andnot just the price of the bike), now your going to spend much more on RIDING! <g> I do not regret buying bmw's, I only have a couple hundred thousand miles riding bmw's, I have far more riding harley's
still love my bmws though, even though I hardly ride them anymore (something to do with a few grandkids changed our riding habits (ok well 8 grandkids as of feb 20th 18) BTw we are in NE Ga. so not to far from you!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 25th, 2018, 10:40 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs View Post
Just remember what they say BMW means Bring My wallet! (andnot just the price of the bike), now your going to spend much more on RIDING! <g> I do not regret buying bmw's, I only have a couple hundred thousand miles riding bmw's, I have far more riding harley's
still love my bmws though, even though I hardly ride them anymore (something to do with a few grandkids changed our riding habits (ok well 8 grandkids as of feb 20th 18) BTw we are in NE Ga. so not to far from you!
Thanks for the welcome from you (& others). Although I have not owned a BMW before, I have been around them with my riding buddies for years. As for the "spending much more on RIDING"...I have no excuse for not being "forewarned." After returning from "Nam," hopefully, wiser & more mature, I finagled my way into college. But, since it was not a family tradition, I (probably mistakenly) went for a BA degree, instead of a BS degree. For several years, I worked in Voc Rehab (Blind), but found myself disillusioned with the cumbersome bureaucracy.

That's when I jumped at the chance to escape into a career in industrial supply sales. It was where I could enjoy my natural talent for things technical & mechanical. It was in this field that I discovered a knack for "out of the box" solutions to many customer's engineering problems. In many ways, I turned my lack of formal engineering education, to an asset by "not knowing any better than to try." However, I also recognized that, at the same time, I respected and valued the input, confirmation, and knowledge of certified engineers. So, I rarely ever designed or attempted to install or sell a process system without first proving its viability.

I use the same approach in my hobbies, (Vintage cars, old iron, etc.). I have read some of the technical threads here, and am in awe of some of the member's technical knowledge. My old Honda has required very little attention in two decades. The greatest challenge, has been mostly finger dexterity re-jetting the carburetors for aftermarket pipes, and brake pads. I am looking forward to new friends and the challenge of BMW ownership. I am also hoping I can remain alert enough to keep up with proper maintenance that keeps major mechanical issues to a minimum. I have already purchased a manual, and am considering a gs911.

Sorry for the long posts. Forums are the closest I get to "social media." No twitter (I'm too verbose) and no "Facebook" (too many relatives).

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 25th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Welcome to the asylum!
I can only say you bought a very nice bike, not that I am at all prejudiced...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713smallerest.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	141449  

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 7 Old Mar 25th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

2000 R1100RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in