New Member from Vermont - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 8th, 2017, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

New Member from Vermont

Hello,

My name is Mike and I live in Vermont.

I am in the market for a new bike and I was hoping everyone here could provide me with valuable advice as I know little about BMW's. I have been riding street bikes for over 30 years and dirt bikes a bit longer. I currently have 4 bikes, 2 Ducati Monsters (old and new), a Honda Blackbird, and a Honda CBR600RR track bike. Today I just sold my Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited and am now thinking about a BMW or a KTM to fill the void the Harley left.

I have always had a problem with speed and I thought the Harley would help me cure that - I just realized it was too heavy and the ground clearance wasn't enough for me. I originally bought it with the thought of riding from the east coast, to the west coast, and back to the east coast. I still want to make that trip but with a lighter bike that is sportier. Right now I am leaning towards an R1200RT and a KTM Super Duke GT. I am very new in learning about these bikes so my knowledge is limited but what I think I know is that the BMW would be a better touring bike where the KTM is sportier. Navigation is important as I have an awful sense of direction! Heated grips, electronic cruise control also very important, the heated seat on the BMW sounds nice although I have never ridden a bike with one so I am not sure how well they work. Radio and bluetooth I don't care too much about, more all day comfort day after day, which the Harley was really good at.

I am not sure when I will do my trip but in the mean time I will take a short 2 or 3 thousand mile trip each summer to exercise the bike. So, having said all of that hello to everyone on the forum and please flood my inbox with things to consider about my choice of bikes, what bike(s) I may be overlooking, which you feel would be the best choice for me, options that are a must, etc., etc. Bottom line I am looking for a comfortable, very sporty, touring bike, reliable, attractive, etc.

Thanks to all in advance who dare provide advice!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 8th, 2017, 11:23 pm

Re: New Member from Vermont

Well for the money you can't beat an early model Lt. All the creature comforts you require to make the long trip very comfortable. Just do the prep work/maintenance and all should go well. I think the Lt has a little more pep then a Harley. Maybe some one else will comment on that. Welcome to the site.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2017, 2:01 am

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I happen to think my RT is a very capable touring bike. We can all offer opinions, but you're the one who will be riding it. Maybe try a test ride.

2000 R1100RT

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2017, 8:34 am

Hi Mike and Welcome!
I suggest going to a BMW dealer and taking a nice long test ride on the models of interest to you.
Oh, please someone off at the W Coast when you go.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2017, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am going to ride an RT and probably an RS this Saturday, I hope I fall in love with one of them. The Harley was under powered and over weight for sure, had a ton of torque, I don't even think Harley specs the HP numbers just the torque numbers. The RT and RS will be slightly more than half it's weight with as much or more HP and a little less torque.

I have already started looking at mods that make things a little more comfortable, I would love to do long days in the saddle with as little fatigue as possible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in