New K1200LT owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jul 26th, 2017, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage
New K1200LT owner

Good Afternoon, a lifetime motorcycle enthusiast here the last 5 years I have been riding a Honda RC51 for fun. I am now the proud owner of a 2005 K1200LT ( in need of repair). I had no intention of buying a bike when I found it (i was actually looking for a jet ski) but I went and looked at her she came home with me ( on a trailer). I purchased it off a gentleman whom had let it sit for the last 4 years in his garage untouched after the clutch went @ 29k miles. The bike was put away after new tire were installed on it @ 29k miles and on the return trip from getting those tires put on the clutch went So i was able to pick up a great bike but with a major repair needing done. I started googling and researching info and came across a lot of info here so wallah!! Here I am with my intro and first questions. I have the bike stripped of all the tupperware and fairings now, it took less time than i thought so now i need to procure parts for the repairs. Advice on where to buy a new/ replacement clutch and other necessary parts for this repair would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2108_1501103658918.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	129298  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jul 26th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Re: New K1200LT owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessysbike View Post
Good Afternoon, a lifetime motorcycle enthusiast here the last 5 years I have been riding a Honda RC51 for fun. I am now the proud owner of a 2005 K1200LT ( in need of repair). I had no intention of buying a bike when I found it (i was actually looking for a jet ski) but I went and looked at her she came home with me ( on a trailer). I purchased it off a gentleman whom had let it sit for the last 4 years in his garage untouched after the clutch went @ 29k miles. The bike was put away after new tire were installed on it @ 29k miles and on the return trip from getting those tires put on the clutch went So i was able to pick up a great bike but with a major repair needing done. I started googling and researching info and came across a lot of info here so wallah!! Here I am with my intro and first questions. I have the bike stripped of all the tupperware and fairings now, it took less time than i thought so now i need to procure parts for the repairs. Advice on where to buy a new/ replacement clutch and other necessary parts for this repair would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum Jessy. Here is a link I put together with a list of everything you could possibly need in doing that major repair with probably a little outdated prices and the dealer part numbers. I buy my parts from MAX BMW for things I can't get after market. Beamer Boneyard sells a clutch disk that is better than stock as well as a bonded oil resistant for about the same money as the new dealer stock disk. Some of the expensive hard parts may not need replacing but you wouldn't know till you inspect them for dishing and metal migration. At 29K, you may get away with reusing them at your discretion. The list of seals are usually recommended so you don't have to go back in and do it all over shortly after you just did it. I hope you have some way of supporting the bike and frame for the job. A lift table really makes things easier. If you have questions, there are lots of us who have done this job on our own so we know what to watch out for. Ask any questions you want. The depth of knowledge here is IMO unmatched.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...arts-list.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in