3Likes
  • 1 Post By Whiskey
  • 1 Post By toffeefan
  • 1 Post By PMitchell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2017, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Smile Hello from Dublin

Hello all,
I'm Alan from Dublin. I have had the same 2002 r1150rt for almost two years. While it has not been plain sailing with it, when it goes, it's a very enjoyable bike to ride. I'm looking for maintenance tips primarily to try and extend its life as long as possible! 50K miles on the clock so still reasonably low for its age

All the best,

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2017, 10:37 am

Garage
Re: Hello from Dublin

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Riding through Ireland is on my bucket list.
toffeefan likes this.

2000 R1100RT
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2017, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

bring rain gear!!!
Whiskey likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2017, 2:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Alan,
I've been to Dublin a couple of times but have never ridden in Ireland. [It's still in the bucket] It's true that you've never had a Guinness until your have had a Guinness in Dublin. I really enjoyed the tasting room at the top of the brewing complex.

Also, I must make a comment on on Irish Hospitality. Years ago I interviewed for a position with my firm that would have brought me to the UK. As a teaser, my future manager arranged for a hotel in Dublin before returning to the States, but it was the weekend of the Six Nations Ruby Tournament and no hotel had rooms. As an alternative, they found a private golf course near the city and my wife and I stayed there. As a result of ordering a Guinness in the Club Pub and my "American" accent, I was invited to a wedding reception that evening. What a time we had!!

Although I didn't accept the offer of employment, I did discover that I could apply for Irish citizenship (dual w/ US) since my grand-father was born in Ballysadare in County Sligo!

Welcome to the site and SlŠinte!
toffeefan likes this.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Jan 26th, 2017 at 9:58 am.
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2017, 7:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Alan,
I live in Newfoundland, Canada but own an 06 GS in Kinsale, Cork, Ireland. I love riding in your country! I will be over again in June to ride the Alps and area.
If you plan to do your own maintenance, order the JVB maintenance video. Just google it and you should see where you can purchase. Well worth the small price.
Welcome and enjoy all the information you will get here from an informative group of riders

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 26th, 2017, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the kind words and the warm welcome. Please stop talking about Guinness, you're making me thirsty!!!:-)
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 26th, 2017, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Hi,
Yes Kinsale is beautiful. One thing I find very strange about Newfoundland is that the accent is almost Irish even after over 150 years! Never been to canada but i will get there one day. Cousins in Ontario and Winnipeg, although I suspect they are buried in 20 feet of snow this time of year!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in