Hello from an F800GT rider - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Dec 26th, 2016, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Smile Hello from an F800GT rider

Hi there,

Just wanna say hi. I've been enjoying my F800GT for a few years, wonderful bike on twisty mountain roads.

I am here to find out about other BMW products. I see a lot of R1200RT on the road and it seems to be the motorcycle of choice for law enforcement both in Europe and in the USA. I'd like to try it out one day ... but at over 600 lbs, that's a heavy motorcycle.

Anyhow, wanna say hi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Dec 26th, 2016, 11:20 pm

Re: Hello from an F800GT rider

Welcome. Yes, it would be noticed from your F800. But it is a comfortable, weather protected and fantastic road bike that can do the occasional dirt road when you want to. The last couple of year bikes are lower and smaller than previous models and I suggest you go take one for a ride. Probably the best touring motorcycle out there and there is some sport in it also, to be sure. All the safety features and other amazing items make it pretty super.
In past models, I found it top heavy only when the gas tank was full. And, I consider that one of its features, the 6 gallon take lets you go almost 300 miles. I live on the West coast and consider this a good thing.
Whiskey likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 4 Old Dec 27th, 2016, 8:07 am

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I ride an 1100RT and think it's a great bike. It's not extremely heavy IMHO. It carries the weight it has well. The performance is great. As previously mentioned, the fuel range is awesome, and the ergonomics are good enough that I can take advantage of that long fuel range.

2000 R1100RT

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 27th, 2016, 9:17 am

Garage

I had an 2013 F800GT before the 2014 R1200RT.

You will only notice the extra weight when pushing the bike with your feet (backing up, etc.). Once you are rolling it is actually a better balanced bike than the F8GT so I find it easier to handle in low speed maneuvering.

I mainly switched due to the extreme heat I was getting in my inner thigh and crotch area when temps got above about 80. But also because I just never got comfortable riding the bike much above 65 mph which of course made much interstate riding a bad experience for me.

Heat coming from the engine on the R12RT is not an issue at all even at temps in the 90s. And at highway speeds, it is an order of magnitude better in terms of ride quality and comfort. At speeds above 65-70 the F8GT was a handful but the R12RT seems to hit its stride at 70-80 and will cruise all day long with no rider discomfort. I do not give a 2nd thought to getting on the interstate with the R12RT but avoided it at all costs on the F8GT.

And then we have the creature comforts: Electric windshield, cruise control, better fairing, better seat (heated option), better lights, better brakes, better suspension, better power and power delivery. The bike is smoother, faster and more comfortable overall. A radio is even optional.

I live in the suburbs of Atlanta and have done inner City riding (downtown Atlanta), suburban riding, country roads, mountain roads, congested freeways - just about every type of riding there is - and the R12RT is great in all of those situations: It is one fantastic motorcycle.

Yes, you will feel the extra weight when stopped and you do have to be a tad more careful where you park but even when I have gotten into situations where I could have dropped the bike, I didn't because of the great balance: I have been able to "muscle" the bike back upright before it went all the way over.

As for negatives........Only one: The gearbox is a little 'clunkier' compared to the F8GT but I rarely miss a gear on the R12RT whereas I frequently missed gears on the F8GT.

You will also not have to deal with that goofy gas tank like you have on the F8GT where you don't know how much gas you have until you hit 1/2 tank.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in