Moved from K1600 GTL to r1200RTw - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 30th, 2016, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Moved from K1600 GTL to r1200RTw

Greetings members,

Just wanted to say hello and look forward to learning from RT owners.

MadHadder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 30th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Re: Moved from K1600 GTL to r1200RTw

Welcome
I have both a GTLE and a RTPw.
After you have got the RT broken in it will become faster since the boxer loves to rev.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 30th, 2016, 3:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on your new RT. I gave up my K1300 GT for an RT. I miss the K but like the lighter feel of the R. It has plenty of get up and go for me. Only two adds to the bike. The 49 ltr top case and Ilium front and rear crash bars. Love my R.Hope you enjoy yours.

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 12th, 2016, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Welcome
I have both a GTLE and a RTPw.
After you have got the RT broken in it will become faster since the boxer loves to rev.
Hello,

I am interested in your approximate rev range for typical riding and catch-up pursuit. This boxer seems to like more r's than even the K1600, and not even a comparison to the HD Ultra's.

Rode with many of the off hour patrolman on their BMWs when I lived in NC (early 2000's). At that time switching to BMW wasn't emotionally possible, so my nickname was "sparkler" from grinding floorboards. Have never been a "lugger" (most HD riders don't run in the correct power ban) so my question is based on curiousity. Seems like this boxer loves running at 4-5K, but I have been surprised with how low the gear is at speed. Is this too high for r's from your experience with this engine???

There you have it. Thanks for the input.

MadHadder
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 12th, 2016, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWideglide View Post
Congrats on your new RT. I gave up my K1300 GT for an RT. I miss the K but like the lighter feel of the R. It has plenty of get up and go for me. Only two adds to the bike. The 49 ltr top case and Ilium front and rear crash bars. Love my R.Hope you enjoy yours.
Thanks for your response,

I went with the simple head covers instead of a full crash bar. My plan is to keep this ride looking as stock as possible. Even went with the BMW fog lamp brackets to mount Clearwaters.

Enjoy,
MadHadder
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 13th, 2016, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHadder View Post
Hello,

I am interested in your approximate rev range for typical riding and catch-up pursuit. This boxer seems to like more r's than even the K1600, and not even a comparison to the HD Ultra's.

Rode with many of the off hour patrolman on their BMWs when I lived in NC (early 2000's). At that time switching to BMW wasn't emotionally possible, so my nickname was "sparkler" from grinding floorboards. Have never been a "lugger" (most HD riders don't run in the correct power ban) so my question is based on curiousity. Seems like this boxer loves running at 4-5K, but I have been surprised with how low the gear is at speed. Is this too high for r's from your experience with this engine???

There you have it. Thanks for the input.

MadHadder
With the large digital spedo I don't watch the tach much any more. I find that the minimum speed in each gear is the gear X 10 MPH.
During the first 1000 miles the engine seemed very tight and did not want to rev. Now many times I ride in a much lower gear. This is a wonderful bike and engine. I never rode the HD FLHTPi like a Harley as my personal bike is a GTL and before that a LT.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in