• 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By Whiskey
  • 1 Post By BigFred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2016, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Location: From Hampshire in the UK but now living in Essex in the UK
Thumbs up Hi from an LT wannabe in Essex UK

Hi peoples.
I've 98% decided I want a K1200LT, a later one with motorised main stand and other extra comforts. Why?

An essay follows to read if you're interested in converting me to be a BMW rider??

Well at the moment I'm sat typing this with a broken leg,,,

Hahaha no I mean I'm not actually using a broken leg to type this that'd be silly, and painful.

I mean at the moment I have a broke leg, (my 1st ever) with only another 5 weeks to go before I get the cast off hopefully?

I'll be 60 next month and therefore almost grown up and well, like many I too have been there done it and got far too many tee-shirts. Most serious was a fractured spine in 2004? on a Yamaha FJ1200 which wasn't actually my fault, hence wanting a later K1200LT with motorised main stand.

My present bike is a 2002 Honda Varadero XL 1000V which I've had and ridden regularly since 2005. It has been, and still is a great fun bike that will go just about anywhere I point it.

But now, as I say I'll be 60 next month and having had 3 operations on 2 knees so far, having had a fractured spine and now sat here with a broken leg and maybe looking at another operation on the knee whit said broken leg I seriously think the time has come to change my bike (or just buy a used K1200LT for longer rides) and slow down a little now that I have a partner who absolutely loves going every and anywhere on the back of my bike.

Give up riding a motorcycle !! ?? Are you mad of course NOT

I'll be looking through, NOT Trolling, through this forum for what I should be looking out for BEFORE I buy one.
I've made a start by looking at this on YouTube in the hope that it'll be a start?

Thanks for, or should that be sorry for taking the time to get this far, well what else have I got to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2016, 10:05 am

Re: Hi from an LT wannabe in Essex UK

Well Fred, let me give you 98% of a welcome. The LT is a wonderful if not a little complex motorcycle. Have a look around and ask questions as this is the place to get them answered.

I got my LT from someone who never was able to get comfortable on it ( or so he said ). He rode it less than 1000 in 2 years so make sure it IS for you so you aren't in the same boat in a year or so.

Have a look through all of Kirks videos on maintaining the beast. Unless you have deep pockets, being able to do service yourself is almost a requirement on anything 10 to 17 years old.

http://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/ser...eos/15-k-bikes

First thing to look for is a thorough maintenance history so you know if any of the big ticket items have been addressed yet or not and how it has been maintained over the years.

If it already has had the brake lines replaced with braided stainless, that is a big plus. The stock rubber lines were not made to last more than 10 years and are deteriorating, leaking and bursting under stress. Shock/spring upgrades are a nice want to have.

The big ticket items are a clutch job for a leaking O-ring or main seal and the final drive. The O-ring is just a matter of time from heat in the clutch cavity and the final drive would be a toss up on a newer model. Most of those failures happened on the earlier years but are not limited to them.

Good luck in your search and if you get past that remaining 2%, this is the place to hang. There is an almost unlimited depth of knowledge here and most are eager to help those in need.
BigFred likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Apr 21st, 2016 at 10:18 am.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2016, 10:28 am

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!
BigFred likes this.

2000 R1100RT
post #4 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2016, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Location: From Hampshire in the UK but now living in Essex in the UK

Now that's what I call a warm welcome with good advice.
I have only watched one of Kirk's videos so far (the one above).
After I watched it once I played/listened to it again while at the same time typing notes in a word document of what Kirk was telling people to watch out for.
When the time comes (hopefully in a couple of months) I will have enough information printed off to take with me when I start looking at actual bikes.

Oh and being 16 stone, 6 foot 1 & 2 bits I'm sure I'm tall enough and strong enough to maneuver one, I'll just have to take more care on gravel or wet leaves on wet road surfaces or grass as I intend to keep it for some time and I won't be doing that many miles on it either, maybe 5 or 6k a year.

Many thanks Fred
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2016, 8:44 pm

Welcome to the forum from sunny Detroit mi. I have heard your IQ will go up 10 points and you become better looking just by hanging out here.
I must say you make me feel like a spry youngster after that list of health issues.
Enjoy, there is a great group here and tons of info.
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2016, 9:20 pm

The K1200LT still likes to go fast...so, you won't be slowing down much. Mine is always griping to me about going too slow...
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2016, 10:10 pm

Hi Fred,

Welcome from another new member, and a new 1200LT owner (2005 model). That was a GREAT video, I'll have to check out some more of his. I'm glad I didn't watch it before I bought it, though, or I might have changed my mind!

I've only had mine a couple of weekends, so far, and spent maybe 4 hours in the saddle over that time. I can vouch for the 'top heavy' and 'uncomfortable seats for long distances' comments! I've managed to get pretty comfortable with the 'top heavy' feature, but the seat is still breaking me in. I'll probably need to change that.

Still, I have to say it's one of the best rides I've ever been on. Something about the way it cruises and takes corners, it's pretty awesome. I hope you get to experience that.

Oh, and the electric center stand function is AWESOME!

Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in