Howdy! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By TwoWheels
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2016, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Howdy!

Well, I've gone and done it. I moved from my V-Twin to a K1200LT. My twin wasn't all that comfortable, especially for my wife. She loves to get out and travel on the bike, but on that little beast we couldn't go far without some MAJOR butt pain! She wanted me to get a touring bike that was comfortable for longer trips, and I wanted something 'fun' to ride. After doing the 'reviews', it seemed like BMW was always at the top of the list, but $30k for a new bike?! OUCH!

Then, I got a small settlement check I wasn't expecting from an insurance claim. My wife started looking at Craig's List for a 'new' bike. Amazingly, we found this BMW for about a $1000 more than the settlement, so we went for it. It's a 2005, and not in perfect condition, got a few scratches and a cracked right side 'bumper' (or whatever that little wing is called in BMW speak). A couple of scrapes down low where it looks like someone dropped it.

Still, it's a beautiful blue and looks pretty nice overall. 43K miles. Seems to run pretty great, but I have to get used to the sound and vibrations from the higher rpm's! A little 'buzzy' compared to what I'm used to! Been a long time since I've felt that in a bike - and the FIRST time I've owned/ridden a BMW. I've had it two days so far, and the wife loves it! Very comfortable for her. For me, well, I'm having to adapt a bit. It seems like the foot pegs are too high and causes my hips to get sore, while the seat is almost too high and makes it hard to reach the ground comfortably! What a weird combination. I'm going to have to figure out a fix, at least for the footpegs. I can probably get used to the overall height (MASSIVE difference to my twin!), but those footpegs are probably going to have to get changed somehow.

She's a heavy beast (the bike, not the wife!), but handles pretty well, especially at speed. Seems like the faster you go, the better she handles! Pretty cool. Definitely have to keep the rpm's up when starting from dead stop and at slower speeds, though, or she feels like she'll topple over. Seems a bit 'top heavy' unless she's cruising.

Anyway, being my first BMW, and being new to the group, I just thought I'd introduce myself. I look forward to learning from you guys and hopefully enjoying this new experience. I'm Doug Sharp, and live in Snohomish County in Washington State. Take care, and ride safe!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2016, 1:03 pm

Re: Howdy!

Welcome from one Doug to another Doug down here in San Marcos, CA.

I made the move a couple years ago from a Harley to an RT. It took a LOT of getting used to. Not in a bad way, just different. I think a lot of it was getting used to almost twice the horsepower, braking, turning, comfort and for sure a different type of buzz or vibration. Even as much as I was enjoying the RT, I thought I would always keep the Harley for shorter runs... Fast forward two years and the Harley is being sold. I've just found the RT to be a great all around bike that I don't need or want two.

Enjoy your bike and all it has to offer. For sure there are a LOT of really smart dudes and dudettes on this forum and can guide you with all sorts of tips and tricks. Be sure to start a thread asking what kind of oil to use in your new bike. (This is dripping with sarcasm.)
bmwcoolk1200 and dougsharp like this.
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Welcome Doug from Sugar Hill, GA. First thing you should do is review all the specific videos relating to the bike starting with Kirks videos at the link below.

Maint./ Repair Videos

The tips and tricks is a good watch and very informative plus all the related self service DIY videos there for saving you money if you are capable of doing your own wrenching.

Take a good look at what you bought. They are great bikes but there are maintenance items that need to be looked at. These heavy beasts came with not so good rubber brake lines and when they get some age on them as with your 2005, they deteriorate from the inside and do two things. they clog up parts in the ABS and also just burst when you need them most. If they have not been upgraded with Spiegler stainless braided lines, you should consider that your first farkle as a safety upgrade.

This leads into the second which is regular periodic brake system maintenance in flushing the fluid. There is a specific procedure for flushing the Integral ABS system on the 2005 so read up on that also.

Hopefully you got a service history with it so you know if there have been any major service items done like the clutch from oil contamination by seal or slave or the final drive crown wheel bearing.

If you have figured out how to open the seat and look at the battery, you can look for and check the main seat position adjustment. At the back of the seat is the adjuster which flips forward and back giving you 2 positions. If it is in the high position, you can lower it and get a better footing on the ground but this won't do much for the short pegs and your legs. I have a peg lowering kit on mine. Being able to flat foot the bike at a stops is pretty important as you may already have realized. Low speed handling because she is top heavy lends her to wanting to take unscheduled naps, especially at stops using the front brakes.

Good luck with her and I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. If you have any issues with it, do some searches here as I am sure you won't be the first with that issue and there are many folks with a combined knowledge base that is nothing short of amazing.

Post some pictures of her, the bike that is but you can include your pillion if you wish You might have to edit and re-size your pics to fit here though. I just right click the file and then edit with paint and re-size using the pixels scale and set the horozontal to 1500 and then save it as another name before posting and that will fit just fine.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2016, 1:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hi Doug!

I also moved over from Hardly to Beemer (they will all be water-cooled soon). Low speed handling isn't that bad once you get used to it, have someone who knows these bikes very well check everything out...ask for all the maintenance history you can get. Seems like every 6K or annually BMW requires an inspection...but with all the bells and whistles these bikes have, I can understand...they are complicated! If there is someone close to you with an LT, I'd ask for a "check-out" just to understand all the controls. I fried my rear on the first ride because the seat heat was on "high", and I could not find the off switch (mid position under seat r/h side).

I've put less than 100 miles on mine and I've already been deep into "future" maintenance funds!

See you on the road...

Don
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2016, 6:30 pm

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I traded in my cruiser for an RT and couldn't be happier. I took a 500 mile trip on Saturday, no way I would have done it on my cruiser. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. As for the seat, mine is adjustable, it's possible yours is too. As for the pegs, they make relocation kits that will move them a bit lower. I would suggest that you ride it as is for a bit though before making too many changes.

2000 R1100RT
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Welcome to the bike and the forum! Give it some time and you will get used to the weight of the LT at parking lot speed. The LT is nothing like a cruiser; so, don't ride it like a cruiser but closer to the sport bikes you hear whining down the road at high RPMs.

Check to see if your reverse gear works and give it a try before you really need it. A slight incline can make this bike really hard to back out of a parking spot or if you are on gravel and can't get good footing to push the bike backwards.

Have fun on your ride - both of you!
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2016, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome - especially Gordon for the link. I'll definitely check those videos out, gotta save $ where I can!

Unfortunately, I didn't get any service records, just the small manuals that came with the bike when it was new. I've read through those over the last couple of days and learned a few things.

Since I'm new to these bikes, I'm thinking I'll try to find a service tech to do a thorough 'once over', change all the fluids, check the brakes, maybe a tune-up if I can afford it (it actually runs pretty well, so I'm not sure that's needed just now). After that, I'll work my way slowly into the alterations, if necessary.

Thanks, too, for mentioning the brake lines! I'll definitely be looking at doing that first thing. It's nice to go, but it's better to be able to STOP!

Anyway, I'll try to get some pics this weekend, if the weather cooperates and it's not in the shop! In the meantime, it looks pretty much like the bike on the right at the top of this page, though not quite as nice.

Take care!
Doug
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsharp View Post
Thanks, all, for the warm welcome - especially Gordon for the link. I'll definitely check those videos out, gotta save $ where I can!

Unfortunately, I didn't get any service records, just the small manuals that came with the bike when it was new. I've read through those over the last couple of days and learned a few things.

Since I'm new to these bikes, I'm thinking I'll try to find a service tech to do a thorough 'once over', change all the fluids, check the brakes, maybe a tune-up if I can afford it (it actually runs pretty well, so I'm not sure that's needed just now). After that, I'll work my way slowly into the alterations, if necessary.

Thanks, too, for mentioning the brake lines! I'll definitely be looking at doing that first thing. It's nice to go, but it's better to be able to STOP!

Anyway, I'll try to get some pics this weekend, if the weather cooperates and it's not in the shop! In the meantime, it looks pretty much like the bike on the right at the top of this page, though not quite as nice.

Take care!
Doug
I hope you got a gem Doug. Mine wasn't bad overall but I have done a lot of maintenance and the big jobs just to get them out of the way knowing they could be an issue later. I didn't even get the small manuals with mine and didn't even know enough to ask at the time so absolutely no history. Make sure the tech you go to knows enough about the BMW I-ABS system to not cause you more expensive trouble by not doing the job right. See the bleed videos. A visual check will let you know if the lines are original or not. If they are a color, or if you can see that they have a braided SS under the outer cover, then they are already done. If they are a black rubber, they are original.

Here is a link to show you want to look for and also to buy if you need them.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake...ne-kit-180.htm

Good luck and happy riding.
dougsharp likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2016, 1:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Another item to check will be quick fuel line disconnects (ride side under Tupperware - will need to remove Tupperware). If they are the plastic ones they become brittle with age and break, leaking fuel everywhere. Need to change out to metal quick disconnects, they can be purchased from Beemer Boneyard or Racer Parts Wholesale.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

IBA Saddlesore 1000

post #10 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2016, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Dennis, I'll check them out!
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2016, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Hey Gordon,

that link to the page with the videos comes up in my browser as a page with malware on/in it! I don't know if you know the people who operate it, but you might want to let them know so they can dig it out.

Meantime, I can't load the page due to my virus protection blocking it. Do you know of any other place those videos are stored?

I'm going to try and find a 'certified' BMW tech as close by as I can, but the nearest dealership is in Seattle - which is an hour or more away, and not a place I like to frequent. But, if that's what I have to do, it's what I have to do. Someone was saying they thought there might be someone closer though. I hope so. I just have to track down the lead and see if it pans out.

I sure hope the bike turns out awesome. I know it has a cracked piece on the right side, and a few scuffed areas down low where they aren't very noticeable, but if that's all that's wrong, I think I got a great deal! I hope so. The guy who sold it to me was having second thoughts as we talked about it, but he had a new(er) bike in the garage, and no room for another, so he had to get rid of it, and was letting it go for just over $5K. He seemed like a pretty good guy, as did his son, so I'm hoping it's not an indicator of something significant wrong with the bike. I guess we'll see!

Thanks!
Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in