Hello! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 26th, 2015, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Hello!

Hello All,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mark (you may have already gathered that), and I purchased a 2006 K1200LT a week ago. She's a beauty, Magnesium Silver Metallic, looks Black in photos, but just a stunning color in real life. A shade over 15K on the clock. Her name is Stella, it just jumped out at me the night I bought her. This is both the first BMW and the first street bike I've ever owned, so I guess I'll have to live with the novice/newb designation for a good while, but my wife and I plan to log some serious miles on our new ride. Thanks to all who made a board like this available, and thanks to those who are willing to share their expertise here. Looking forward to making friends and logging miles!

Mark

Last edited by Mark65; Sep 26th, 2015 at 10:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 26th, 2015, 10:25 pm

Re: Hello!

Welcome Mark. This is the place to be if you own an Lt. Get plenty of practice on the big beast and get to know her well. Lots of experience and knowledge here so search and read.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 26th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Welcome Mark, an LT for your first street bike is a very tall order. I take it you do have riding experience though. I suggest you take it very slow get some serious miles on Stella before you add your wife to the mix if you love her.

The 2006 has Integral ABS brakes with servo assist. They are very powerful and can get you into some bad positions at slow speeds and she will take a nap on you. I suggest you watch all the videos by the Illinois BMW Motorrad club to familiarize yourself with what you bought. You can go to youtube and look for the k1200LT and find most of them that way and also go to the technical files section and read up.

The LT is not a good first street bike for most as it is very heavy and top heavy and even experienced riders have had to pass on keeping them because they could never get comfortable with them and rightly feared for their lives. They only realized this because they were already experienced street riders.

Be smart and take it slow if you continue with it and don't take anyone else on it until you have gotten used to it and that takes time, not just a few rides. This is no dirt bike and it will kill you if you don't learn her and respect her.

IF you have access to or could buy a smaller bike and take street riding courses to learn the skills necessary to ride on the street as the skills are very different from the dirt, it could save your life.

I have had my LT for 3 years ( my 2nd BMW) and this is the first year i have felt comfortable enough on it to take my girlfriend on longer than short back street rides. She respects that as a rider herself.

Good luck and the LT is a wonderful machine but not one to learn on.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 26th, 2015, 11:16 pm Thread Starter

Thank you both for the welcome!

bmwcool, I need to note that I left some info out for the sake of brevity. I have never owned a street bike, but I've ridden quite a few, starting in the early '80's with a Yamaha Exciter 250. I rode a KZ750, a GPz 750, and a Gixer 6, and actually taught myself slow speed maneuvers on a 2001 K1200LT. I know the girl a little, but not her nuances, and that, plus the community of a board such as this, is what I'm hoping to find. That said, I appreciate what you said, and I'll take it to heart. Thank You.
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 26th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
Thank you both for the welcome!

bmwcool, I need to note that I left some info out for the sake of brevity. I have never owned a street bike, but I've ridden quite a few, starting in the early '80's with a Yamaha Exciter 250. I rode a KZ750, a GPz 750, and a Gixer 6, and actually taught myself slow speed maneuvers on a 2001 K1200LT. I know the girl a little, but not her nuances, and that, plus the community of a board such as this, is what I'm hoping to find. That said, I appreciate what you said, and I'll take it to heart. Thank You.
Those were important bits to leave out Glad you are not nearly the street novice your first post lead me to believe. You will find what you seek here and you will love that LT. I hope you do your own wrenching as dealer prices can drain the wallet quickly on maintenance items. All the information you need is here in print and in persons so don't be afraid to search and ask questions if you run into trouble. The 2001 you used may not have had the I-ABS assisted brakes as mine does not so be careful with them. In slow speed maneuvers, the front will be much more sensitive so be careful if you try them or it will be nap time.

Welcome again and i hope you are close to some other riders on the forum to meet up with.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in