K1200LT LUX - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By steveCBR11xx
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:54 am Thread Starter

K1200LT LUX

Howdo,

Just bought an 04 K1200LT after selling my FJR so far all seems good with it, I like the comfort, sound system etc will be testing distance work on short Eurotrip this weekend,

Im based in Bedfordshire UK and pop over the channel a lot, I bought the LT for the long distance tours so I can retire my CBR1100xx to playtime bike I also have a CBR600 for trackdays

Anything I need to be aware of with these big lumps ?

Cheers

Steve
Leboyd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 1:55 pm

Re: K1200LT LUX

Welcome to the forum Steve. They are great bikes with a few potential issues. If you have the papers, you can see what has been replaced under warranty or by the PO. If not then there are some maintenance items that should be done. If you do your own wrenching, get the Clymer manual. A complete flush of all fluids should be done if you don't know when that was last done. The 2004 has the integral ABS system with servo assist and should be flushed to keep the system from having issues. The old rubber brake lines get weak with age and can rupture so consider replacing them with something like Spiegler stainless braided lines for safety. They make a per model kit with everything you need except the fluid.

Depending on how the final drive was made, there is a possibility that the large crown bearing can come apart from too much preload at the factory due to over shimming. This is a catastrophic failure normally with the bearing coming apart and the rear wheel getting floppy with little to no warning.

Other issues you could run into would be a leaking clutch slave cylinder where the oil has no where to go but into the clutch contaminating it.

behind the clutch is a rubber o-ring on the main shaft that can get hard and leak also potentially contaminating the clutch and keeping you from moving.

Those would be the biggies that could spoil your day to be aware of.

There are lots of good videos put out by the BMW Motorad club of Illinois. Take a look in the technical files section on this forum for lots of good information.

There is a rubber hose inside the fuel tank that ethanol gas can deteriorate and that can split and leak causing no fuel to reach the injection rail. It should be replaced with the filter at I believe a 50K interval with submersible fuel line.

There are jack oil fairies that steal the oil out of the rear shock load adjuster under your seat. Wind that all the way out and if you can turn it in any distance before it starts hitting resistance, it needs refilling. Again, a Club video on that as well.

Oh, she is top heavy and likes to take naps so make sure you stop with the wheel straight. If you get into a bad position using the front brakes with the wheel turned to stop, she will likely want to go down and unless you are Hercules, better just get out of the way and watch the BMW club of IL video on how to lift her back up.

Those are the biggies to watch out and be aware of that can spoil a great day of riding. If you have other issues, there is about a thousand years of experience here on the forum to help you though anything you might run into with these wonderful bikes.

Have fun

Gordon
steveCBR11xx likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in